Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning a very strange thing happened to me. When I started the car, it started normally. I then shifted it into drive and accelerated, but the car rolled slowly, no acceleration, no RPM movement. So I stopped the car, turned it off, restarted it, and same thing. I then popped it in neutral and revved it a couple time, still nothing. It seems like the throttle was not responding for some reason. So I turned the car off again, revved it a couple more times in park, then it finally decided to go.

Is this something others have seen?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
When you said you revved it, did the engine actually rev or not? If the engine was throttling ok and you weren't moving, my guess is the transmission failed to engage. I've been in the forum since January and I can't recall anyone having this problem. If it doesn't happen again, chalk it up to excessive solar activity.:D

By the way you have been a member for 3 months and this is your first post! C'mon junior start communicating instead of being a forum wallflower or is you are just self conscious because the M5 in your handle is a Bimmer?;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
remery said:
When you said you revved it, did the engine actually rev or not? If the engine was throttling ok and you weren't moving, my guess is the transmission failed to engage. I've been in the forum since January and I can't recall anyone having this problem. If it doesn't happen again, chalk it up to excessive solar activity.:D

By the way you have been a member for 3 months and this is your first post! C'mon junior start communicating instead of being a forum wallflower or is you are just self conscious because the M5 in your handle is a Bimmer?;)
Self conscious? NAH! I registered a while back, but sort-of forgot about this board until my problem this morning :eek:

As for the problem, what I did was step on the gas, and the RPM did nothing. I think there was something wrong with the throttle, or maybe the fuel pump? Sorry, I'm not much of a mechanic. Anyhow, hopefully it'll be a one-time thing. I'll let you know what I find out, IF they find anything.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
C43,
I had another thought last night. I am not sure but the accelerator on the MDX could be electronic versus mechanical. Some of the newer cars have this so the signal to rev the engine when you step on the pedal is electronic versus mechanically link to the throttle or fuel injection system. This could explain you one time occurrence. Look how many times your PC has done strange unexplained things and then is fine the next time you boot up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Won't Rev

I am having the same problem, but 1st the check engine light comes on then the VTM, I let it warm up for a while, restart the vehicle then the VTM light goes out and the check engine light remains on, but I am then able to drive the truck. Does anyone know what this problem is attributed to?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
C43///M5 said:
As for the problem, what I did was step on the gas, and the RPM did nothing. I think there was something wrong with the throttle, or maybe the fuel pump? Sorry, I'm not much of a mechanic. Anyhow, hopefully it'll be a one-time thing. I'll let you know what I find out, IF they find anything.

I'll have to assmue you must have an '03 or newer MDX. There is no actual physical connection between the pedal and the engine. It's based on a sensor at the pedal, which relays its position to the computer, which tells the motor how much to actually open the throttle plate on the engine. It's all electrical signals. Somewhere, the chain is broken. A possible cause is that arodent may have chewed a wire that is conneted to the throttle actuator in the engine.

This problem would be the equivilant of a broken cable in a '01-02 MDX. It'll start and idle fine...but the gas pedal produces absolutely no change whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Holy crap. Didn't even look at the dates. I can't believe someone found a 4 year old thread. Well, I did cover my bases and say that it would most likely be a broken throttle cable for the early model too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
04 MDX

Yes you are correct I do have an 04 and this problem only happens when the weather is cold, how do I go about getting the dealer to look at the problem you have mentioned, they did a diagnostic and they told me it would take them 3hrs labour to just to find this problem. Does this make any sense?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
smac2015
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing