Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

___I went to a local Body shop I trust to receive a quote for painting the FF’s to match the TW X yesterday. The quote I received was only $121.00 including 3 paint coats and a clear coat which is a great deal in its own right. While I was there, I asked about having the Wood-Grain Steering wheel installed. The manager looked it up in his charge-out guide and saw it only took .5 hours for removal and reinstall. They gave me an estimate of just $33.50 given their $76.00 mechanical charge out rate. These were both estimates so I will let you know if the actual deviates from the above once the Wood-Grain steering wheel arrives and I have this shop do the work. The price is certainly right for those that need these services vs. the Honda/Acura dealers charging much much more.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hi xcel -

Any issues with the warranty if an Acura dealer does not install the steering wheel? Not a big deal for most accessories but, with the airbags, etc. involved...

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rjmitche:

___I did not think to ask but since they are a licensed facility (Central Auto Body in Waukegan, IL.), I would assume that an Airbag repair/replacement/maintenance is a much more routine item for them than any Acura dealership mechanic has ever seen let alone swapped out. I would also think this would be more of a safety item than a warranty issue myself.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I know my Acura dealership quoted me $40 to install it. Of course I would get the wheel from Tim:29:

·
Registered
470 Posts
xcel said:
___I did not think to ask but since they are a licensed facility (Central Auto Body in Waukegan, IL.), I would assume that an Airbag repair/replacement/maintenance is a much more routine item for them than any Acura dealership mechanic has ever seen let alone swapped out. I would also think this would be more of a safety item than a warranty issue myself.
I actually meant to reply to this sooner...

I agree with you on all points. However, knowing how some dealerships/service departments operate, I'm wondering if you couldn't have some issues down the road should something go wrong 'in that area'. Say, for instance, that the horn stops working for some reason... could a dealer's service department refuse to fix it under warranty if they (or another Acura dealer) didn't install the replacement steering wheel?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Rjmitche:

___I guess that could apply to all accessories … If you were to install the Tranny and PS cooler or Wiring harness as the worst case examples and your wiring or engine crashed and burned, this could lead to warranty issues as well. If there was a problem with the horn, I am sure Acura would take care of it if it was working for any relative length of time after the shop finished their job … As above, I would expect the body shop to have quite a bit more experience with the install than any Acura dealer mechanic. If I could get the wheel off without a puller, I would do the job myself and save the money.

___I only wish the new steering wheel was here already :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts