Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
The brake pedal being solid has nothing to do with a dead battery. Your battery might be completely fine. If you can't depress the brake pedal enough for it to sense that it is being pushed, the car has a starter lockout that will prevent it from starting. You need to get past that issue before worrying about the battery.

·
Registered
837 Posts
There mdx has only been out 2 years. How have you been dealing with the problem 3 years? Also,if you are dealing with autozone. You don't have an original battery. What's your rant about? What manufacturing problem?
Also, why would you deal with Autozone when batteries are covered under warranty? Bizarre that this is his first and last post.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I am facing the same problem today. Car is parked in my garage for about 3 weeks and today when we returned from vacation car would not start. Brake paddle is rock solid. Tried to jump start but would not start. I am thinking of buying a AC battery changer and see if it works. Any suggestions?
Like 'mdxinator' said - from your description you don't have a battery problem - you have a brake pedal lockout problem. This is easy enough to validate - when you put your foot on the brake and then hit the start button do you get a message in the MID indicating something like 'To start press brake and press start button'? If so then it's definitely the issue of the brake pedal not being pushed down enough to overcome the lockout. The solution is to press the brake pedal harder. If that doesn't do it then have the dealer tow it to their shop and fix it but for other posters with the issue just pressing the pedal harder usually takes care of it.

Granted, the vehicle shouldn't exhibit this behavior but apparently it does on some vehicles - perhaps due to variances in the lockout mechanism and even differences in how hard people press the brake pedal. I'll get the hard pedal after some days of the vehicle sitting there, which is actually normal because the vacuum won't stay there forever, but I've never had a problem starting it regardless and haven't had to push excessively hard on the pedal. I wish they didn't have a lockout at all since it's fairly pointless and only causes problems but I'm sure lawyers and/or the fed government was involved in the decision to do the lockout.

Note that when a battery is low on charge due to sitting a long time or even certain battery drains, it'll often still have enough juice to at least click the starter relay but not enough to turn the engine over enough or at all. It's very easy to see the charge state of the battery - just put a voltmeter on it and see how it reads. It normally will be over 12V.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 2007 Acura MDX and it does not have a push button start. I am sure battery is drained because even the radio code has erased. I will be charging the battery overnight with an AC changer and then get it another try.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have 2007 Acura MDX and it does not have a push button start.
You posted your issue in the 3rd gen MDX forum and didn't state the year of your vehicle so people will naturally assume it's a 2014 on up hence the statements about the pushbutton and the assumption that the battery and the vehicle aren't old. You should post in the 2nd gen forum instead if you want info particular to your year MDX but your problem may be just a general battery problem.

I don't know if a 2007 has the brake pedal/start lockout or not. If it does then what was stated applies. If it doesn't then it's likely your battery is just low on charge or dead due to sitting for so long - possibly with an internal light left on or something.

You can still check the battery with a voltmeter if you have one - it s/b around 12.6 volts or so. You could also take the battery out and take it to Autozone or another auto parts store and have them test it which is a better test because it load tests the battery and can usually tell if it's bad or just low on charge. You could also buy a battery charger and charge up the battery but if you do that pay attention to the current draw because if the battery's bad it'll never charge fully up and a bad cell in a battery can be a problem - a bad battery can actually spew flammable gases and acid, etc. I'm not trying to scare you about the charger - I have one and use it all the time, mostly on my old cars. I've also had a bad battery do the spewing I mentioned once when trying to jump start a vehicle and that was a dangerous situation so be careful when messing with batteries - especially if jump starting.

If you have AAA or a similar service you could just call them out and they'll try to jump start the vehicle and can even sell and install a new battery.

If your battery's around 5 years or so old you should just assume it's around time to get a new battery.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I am having the same issue with my '16 MDX.

It happened a couple weeks ago... after 15-20 minutes of trying it finally started. I thought it was a fluke & didn't bother calling the dealership.

Wouldn't start again this morning. After 15 minutes of trying... I finally gave up and called AcuraLInk roadside assistance. 1.5 hours later the tow truck still had not arrived. I tried it again and it started right up as normal. I drove it straight to the closest Acura Dealer (50miles one way).

They have my 2.5 month old car with 4750 miles on it and I am driving a loaner.

I'll update with the results.

"Buy a NEW car they said... NEW is more reliable they said...." FML......

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2007 MDX with 100000 miles. Will not start unless jumped with larger truck. battery has been replaced 3 times in the past year.Im a Realtor and cant afford to be out in rural area and car will not start.
Any suggestions

·
Registered
1 Posts
what happened? i am dealing with the exact same issue myself for a customer of mine. i cannot duplicate the issue but she insists that it wont start and she has to wait15-20 mins.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am facing the same problem today. Car is parked in my garage for about 3 weeks and today when we returned from vacation car would not start. Brake paddle is rock solid. Tried to jump start but would not start. I am thinking of buying a AC battery changer and see if it works. Any suggestions?
Same thing happened to me with my 2017 tonight. Luckily tried starting with remote fob and it started right up. My battery definitely was not drained as lights were bright and fan blowing strong. I think there’s a bigger problem here and Acura must know people are having this issue but have no solution? I’m calling dealership tomorrow to see what they think it could be.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Same thing happened to me with my 2017 tonight. Luckily tried starting with remote fob and it started right up. My battery definitely was not drained as lights were bright and fan blowing strong. I think there’s a bigger problem here and Acura must know people are having this issue but have no solution? I’m calling dealership tomorrow to see what they think it could be.
Make sure there is no acid corrosion around the terminal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had similar issue. 2017. Battery was 12.4+ volts but would not start. Heard clicking in the dash board. Different clicking when tried to start. Turned out it was corrosion between the battery post and battery cable where the cable connects to the battery post. The corrosion was not easily visible. Cleaned out the cables and posts, sprayed on protector, and issue was resolved.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts