Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, first time poster:

We just picked up a new TL for my wife, and had a question for anyone that has or has seen a TL with nav.

Does anyone else here have a TL with Nav? One thing that bothers us a little is that the nav screen in it has some distortion 'waves' that go thorugh the white (and also gray-though less visible) background. The 'waves' move upward through the screen constantly regardless of the brightness. It looks like some sort of interference, and was wondering if this was a limitation in Acura's design of the system or just our particular unit. The only distortion we ever see in the MDX system is if the bottom bar is a certain shade, then there is a little jitterness to it. That is common to older LCD screens in particular when they have trouble displaying certain shades without jitter. This constant vertical wave thing in the TL nav is something different.

Other differences: The nav screen in the TL is quite a bit smaller, had the operational buttons to the right of the screen, and has more roads on it than does our 2001 mdx nav. I was all excited about the more roads at first (thinking it might be the update with all the roads), but unfortuntely it isn't, it just has more on it that our mdx does.

Thanks!
David

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
You may also notice a line that flashes across the screen (like a interferance spike) when you tap the brake pedal.

The flickering, the waves, the spike...all normal for the TL/CL. American Honda knows about the problem, and there really isn't a fix for it short of tearing out the ENTIRE wire harness from the Navi ECU in the trunk the the display and insulating it more. Which no dealer in their right mind will do before you ask. We've replaced displays, ECUs, updated software, isolated power sources, you name it. No help.

My suggestion is to simply live with it unless they come out with a TSB with an updated part (like they finally did for the RL transmission harsh 1-2 upshift problem).

Rob

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
We have both

Our TL-S does not exhibit the distortion you describe.

If as TheRobSJ says it is "normal" for the TL then I'm glad that mine in NOT normal. I recommmend that you take it to the dealer. You could log into the TL website and search for this problem: www.acura-tl.com

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Normal?

TheRobSJ said:
The flickering, the waves, the spike...all normal for the TL/CL. American Honda knows about the problem, and there really isn't a fix for it short of tearing out the ENTIRE wire harness from the Navi ECU in the trunk ... My suggestion is to simply live with it unless they come out with a TSB with an updated part
My TL-S does NOT exhibit this problem! Have you logged on to www.acura-tl.com and done a search on this? Perhaps if it is a widespread problem then others may have some helpful suggestions. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I did do some searches on the TL site, and could only find one similar problem. He had everything from screen to dvd replaced and still had the problem. I would think that if this were a design flaw that everyone would have the problem, however this does not seem to be the case.

I just did a little experimentation with it. When the vehicle is first turned on and idling, the lines tend to move downward through the screen. As engine rpm increase, the lines will change direction and start to scroll upward through the screen. The spacing between the horizontal lines is roughly 3/8 of an inch. It is clearly interference going through the electrical system that the screen is picking up. If the key is turned back to position 1, (the nav is still on), the screen is PERFECTLY clear, no distortion. If the key is moved up to position 2, the lines reappear for 2 seconds, and then go away (some electrical components time out after two seconds apparently, since some lights on the dash also go off after 2 seconds in the #2 position). It appears that the main contributor to the interference is something electrical that is off with the key in the 1 position, times out after 2 seconds in the 2'nd position, and is always on with the engine running.

We'll see how our dealer handles the problem. They have really pushed us to give them 5s on the customer satisfaction surveys (which affects their allotments) - how they handle this will have a big effect on our responses. Nothing like a little pressure=)

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am taking my MDX in tomorrow to have the Navi screen replaced for the second time. I have the same problems you described(distortion, wavy lines). The screen on my navi also shifted occassionally. After I got it back from the first replacement, the screen worked fine for a few days and then it happened again only this time it was worse. It was happening more often and the screen would get more jumbled. They are replacing the screen again tomorrow and will keep it for a couple of days to see if it works. If the problem continues, they said that they will change out the whole component. It's been very frustrating so far and I've only had my MDX for a month. Overall, the service dept was nice but didn't think I would have to go back to the dealer this often after paying $40K+ for my car. Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts