Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although mentioned in several places, I did not find a specific thread that compares MDX to Subaru Outback or Forrester.

I sold my '96 Subaru to get MDX. I worshiped that car. I loved every moment of owning it except it being TOO SMALL both for me personally and for my family's needs. Every now and then I see it on the street, since I sold it to a neighbor (kind-of), and my heart skips a beat.:(

Subaru "influence" was one of the major reasons I waited for and shelled extra $$ for Acura rather than getting an Odyssey.

I honestly do not think there is a lot of common grounds between MDX and Subaru to compare these cars, but there is one particular area of interest to me - inclement weather handling.

Many of you remember (and those of who don't - do a search, I am not repeating for the fear of being attacked again and again :)) that I was quite critical of MDX during last winter as it did not go through certain conditions as reliably as that Subaru.

So, with a new winter season coming, I would like to hear some additional comments. I know that some of you either owned Subarus and replaced them with MDX, or ( remery!!!) currently own both vehicles.

I really do not intend this thread to turn into another "VTM4 rules!!!" rallying ground or, "Acura sucks - go get ML instead" trolling. Just objective opinions from people who like (love) their MDX and have high respect (deservingly so!!!) for their Subaru.

Thanks.

P.S. If only they made a Subaru "MDX" :(

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know there is another Subaru in my driving future... I cannot say the same about Acura. Not that I do not like MDX - quite the contrary. And I am sure that in the years to come, if MDX is as reliable as Subaru was (hopefully, I'll forget about all 1st MY problems and a dozen or so trips to a dealer :(), I will like it more and more.

But as it stands right now, Acura will be the last one on my list if I need another car and Subaru makes a similar one.

To echo what Starview said in his post (w/o going into technical details) in all 5 years of owning Subaru, I NEVER had a wheel spin nor fishtailing! The only time I had a "difficulty" was during a blizzard of '96 (in NYC) when my driveway got about 1' to 2' of snow so that it almost reached a radiator grill. I still got out!!! but it was hard :)

Ghost is right, and I said it before as well, Subaru and our 'X are just too different to compare one-for-one. But, with all the talk of "smart" VTM-4, "no need" for traction control, etc., I am just curious what other "people in the know" think about MDX vs Subaru handling.

I also looked at new Outback and Forester before buing MDX. Surprisingly, not only Outback has more interior room and a nicer design, but both those cars are significantly smaller than my '96 was (and I thought it could not get any smaller :( for my 6'1" 200+lbs frame)
However, as remery said when he bought his (or, actually, hers :)), you could get VDC close to invoce. Add to that free scheduled maintenance and the real price difference climbs to $5-$7K. Once again, though, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
William, my recent knowledge of Subarus is a hear-say. Remery is a better source since he got a VDC not long ago. I believe VDC or VDC-"Some stupid-designer-name-edition" comes with free scheduled maintenance and On-Star (or something similar).

WRX looks like a GREAT toy car - did you see those 0-60 numbers and stuff??? :)

I am not sure about side curtains though.

I know that VDC has a different kind of AWD from all other Subarus.

If I remember correctly, in my '96 I had a permanent 80-20 torque split going to 50-50 when needed.

I do not know if they offer VDC as a sedan as well or only as a vagon. Although, IMO, Outback sedan is not as "pretty".

Be prepared to have a feeling of "riding on you butt" especially after MDX. Subarus are really low-driving-position cars.

IMO, you cannot go wrong if you choose Subaru!

Passat is also so cute! But Outback is better!!! :)

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A quick afterthought...
I think I saw Subaru ad recently with 0% or another quite low financing % for all 2002's.

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wmquan said:
...Some folks will assert that the Subes made in Japan are significantly better in quality and reliability than the Subes made in North America.
Mine was made in Indiana - never any problem. Oil changes and other "standard maintenance" twice a year for 5 years.

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: A true Subaphile Speaks Now!

remery said:
As vip9 says my my signature confirms, I am the proud owner of both vehicles but with a $11K price differential. I paid $29.5K for my (oops hers) 2001 Subaru VDC H6 Wagon and $41.5K for the MDX with includes the accessories.
That's a $12K difference, but it's OK :p

Looking forward to seeing your comparo once the white stuff shows up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.