Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looked at the Pilot site to check/compare colors. Noticed that you can get an optioned-out Pilot w/leather and navi and a few other things like the rear view camera for about $36k or less. What's missing versus the MDX? Or to put it differently, what do I get for the extra $6-7k in the MDX that I don't get in the Honda? :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Need4spd:

___I used to ask similar questions as well so I believe I have a good understanding of your situation. Go to the specific Acura MDX forum entitled Comparisons as linked. Read to your hearts content in regards to the differences between the MDX and Pilot and see if it helps you decide on which to purchase. I would highly suggest that you visit the Pilot forums as well although I do not have a direct link to it currently. Lots of Pilot discussions about paint, seat longevity, and general nuisances not found in the X from the few times I have been over there. The Pilot is still a great value just as long as you truly know the differences between it and the MDX.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
need4spd,

xcel has given you some good advice, so I would recommend that you do what he has suggested. I found the suggestion to visit the sister site especially good because they are more likely to suggest why they didn't buy the MDX!!

Off the top of my head, the basic differences between an 02 MDX and the 03 Pilot EX Loaded (from the MDX Touring is "better" point of view) are the following:

** Moonroof on MDX (not avail on the Pilot).
** Better warranty 4yr/50K vs 3yr/36K (I think).
** Free loaner when MDX in for warranty work and some other stuff under AcuraCare (I only care about the loaner).
** Heated seats (don't recall these being on the Pilot).
** Heated side mirrors (don't recall these being on the Pilot).
** 8-Way Pwr Passenger Seat (don't recall that being on the Pilot).
** Memory Driver Seat.
** Auto tilting RH Side Mirror (reverse tilt)
** 17" Michelins vs 16" whatever they put on the Pilot.
** More distinguished body style (certainly some would argue).
** Auto-dimming rear view mirror (think you can get this).
** Nicer leather on seats ?? (at least don't have sag problem).
** Better paint jobs ?? (at least don't have the paint complaints).

Thus, if it were an 02 MDX against an 03 Pilot, the differences are not that great (arguably very small). BUT THAT IS NO LONGER THE CASE. The MDX has been upgraded in 03 (and I think that this was partly to improve the separation between the Pilot and MDX). Anyway I am jealous!! I have tried to list the "drool" features in order (the ones that I want the most at the top). But I have found this hard, because many of them are really important to me!! If my 02 MDX was worth $39,800, then the 03 is certainly worth the additonal $1,000-$1,200:

** Nicely integrated rear view camera with Navi (picture on Nav display).
** Improved insulation providing quieter ride.
** Vehicle Stability Assistance.
** Improved suspension providing smoother ride AND better handling.
** Sexier Nav (voice activated, 3-D, more info, quicker calcs)
** More Horse Power.
** New 5-speed tranny design (coupled with throttle by wire, supposed to provide smoother shifting).
** Warning chime when trans in gear and parking brake on.
** Auto on/off headlights.
** Rain sensing wipers.

Supposedly the following was also done, but don't know if I would even notice:
** Body is stiffer and stronger.

Don't know if this helps but thought I would share ...

·
Registered
185 Posts
More

I struggled long before deciding between Pilot and MDX. I finally picked MDX.

Acura at my area offers 4 Years Road Side Asistance for Free. Say goodbye to AAA Plus, VS Honda has NONE....

Navigation Screen MDX is 7', Pilot is 6'. Easier to look at.

But Basically, it is all depends on what you needs.
Pilot is more ultility oriented, vs more luxury look of MDX.
Personally, I picked MDX because of the brand name, and the exterior look. If I do a lots of out doors activity and loading, I might pick Pilot.
Hope this will help you.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Re: More

2003MDX said:
IAcura at my area offers 4 Years Road Side Asistance for Free. Say goodbye to AAA Plus, VS Honda has NONE....
I was under the impression that Free Road Side Assistance was covered by the standard warranty for 4 years for all areas?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Re: Re: More

MDXtrous said:

I was under the impression that Free Road Side Assistance was covered by the standard warranty for 4 years for all areas?
I think so, At least that is what my dealer told me. IF my MDX break down on my way to Florida, RSA(Road Side Asisstance) will contact the nearest Acura dealer, and cover the towing, and 3 days lodging if it time to fix that car.
;)
Don't you get the brochure from the dealer explaining all the details?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Re: Re: Re: More

2003MDX said:

I think so, At least that is what my dealer told me. IF my MDX break down on my way to Florida, RSA(Road Side Asisstance) will contact the nearest Acura dealer, and cover the towing, and 3 days lodging if it time to fix that car.
;)
Don't you get the brochure from the dealer explaining all the details?
I do, but in your original statement "Acura at my area offers 4 Years Road Side Asistance for Free", the "Acura at my area" made me think you meant in "some" but not "all". That's all. Sorry for the misunderstanding;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Another difference is styling. The Pilot, to me, looks like an oversized CRV. I can not tell the difference between them unless I look carefully. I don't know how many times I passed one and have to look at the back to determine if it is a Pilot or a CRV. I have never had a problem identifying an MDX from a distance. I have a CRV, which I love, but we did not want two of the same looking vehicles. That made choosing the X for my wife's new vehicle easy.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I believed Road Side Assitant covers 4 yrs or 50000 miles whichever comes first. If you drove 50K in 2 yrs, then you are outta RSA.

And Yes, most acura dealers (at least in Northern Virginia) gives loaner car while yours is in the shop for services. This covered as long as you own the car, instead of 4yr/50K.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Loaner Car

I believe that Acura covers a loaner car anytime during the warranty period that the MDX is in for WARRANTY SERVICE.

As I understand it, some dealers provide loaners for maintenace work and repairs outside of warranty BUT this is up to the servicing dealer -- it is not mandated by Acura.

If I am wrong, would someone please correct me. (Just thought I'd add that, but I am SURE someone will correct me if I have made a boo-boo :D ).

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
If you buy a Pilot. . . you'll always be saying ". . . just like or as good as the MDX!"

Pay a little extra for the X.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
JayCT said:
Another difference is styling. The Pilot, to me, looks like an oversized CRV. I can not tell the difference between them unless I look carefully. I don't know how many times I passed one and have to look at the back to determine if it is a Pilot or a CRV. I have never had a problem identifying an MDX from a distance. I have a CRV, which I love, but we did not want two of the same looking vehicles. That made choosing the X for my wife's new vehicle easy.
The EXACT reason I chose the X over the Pilot!

·
Registered
335 Posts
laborlitigator said:
If you buy a Pilot. . . you'll always be saying ". . . just like or as good as the MDX!"

Pay a little extra for the X.
Agreed...that's a big part of the reason I went with the 'X. It just seems nicer all around (and the '03 changes are a bonus).

...also, with more than a foot difference in height between me and my wife, the memory seat is just mandatory :D :29:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not to denigrate the Pilot, as it is the mechanical equivalent to the MDX, but it's almost as if, Honda told the design team for the Pilot, "leave your A-game at home, we don't want to look too nice." After all, nicer lines and shapes shouldn't cost more. Perhaps just a further way to distinguish the MDX from the Pilot.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Market share strategy...

mdxpecting said:
Not to denigrate the Pilot, as it is the mechanical equivalent to the MDX, but it's almost as if, Honda told the design team for the Pilot, "leave your A-game at home, we don't want to look too nice." After all, nicer lines and shapes shouldn't cost more. Perhaps just a further way to distinguish the MDX from the Pilot.
Well... kind of. I think Honda is simply playing the market postion game. I recently discussed the market strategy of The Home Depot. The Expo Center is a subsidiary of Home Depot. And while there is crossover in some goods between the two stores, The Expo Center is clearly geared to high end goods, whereas, Home Depot targets midrange and lesser costly goods. I think this strategy makes good business sense.:4:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Need4spd,

I would recommend that you visit the Pilot site also (www.honda-pilot.org) to get the views of the folks over there as well. Unlike some in this thread, many of us feel that both are great looking vehicles but the Pilot offered more bang for the buck when you consider the big comparison points such as engine, transmission, seating, cargo volume, etc. While the MDX does offer great value for the additional luxury items (and some core features such as 17" wheels), they are only worth it if you are after those types of features.

I'm reading a few strong opinions about styling here, but remember that style isn't the same for everyone. If you poke around on the Pilot site you'll find plenty of us who actually prefer the looks of the Pilot (although I do think the MDX is great).

Good luck,
Chris

·
Registered
28 Posts
Whatever you want to buy, go shopping, look carefully, and do the math. We recently got a BIG Surprise with the Pilot.

We have an '02 RL which we love. had a Lincoln Nav. go off lease last month. From all we had read, media hype, etc. we decided we would be best served with a Pilot to replace the Lincoln. We drive the RL when over the road, so just needed to haul kids, occasionally pull a light trailer etc. for our business, and general around town. We priced an EX with DVD, and some add-ons my wife wanted, (no navi), priced out at $37,350. Honda dealer offered us a 48 mo. lease with $3K down at $569/mo. (So much for "cheap"). On a 36 mo. lease they wanted $669 per month.

We then asked an Acura dealer for same terms/amt. down on an '03 MDX touring RES, priced at $41,500, and were offered a 48 mo. lease at $525 per month.

No Brainer for us, the new MDX is due next week. There is much more to buying a car than just the price, be careful and do your research if want the most bang for your buck. Leasing vs. buying is a whole different ball game, keep your eye on the ball. If your not entirely sure whats going on, you might want to check with your accoutant.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would recommend you drive both vehicles back to back and make your own determination. I did. The MDX drives like a sports car (esp. the 2003), the Pilot like a mini-van.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Bob Grammar said:
I would recommend you drive both vehicles back to back and make your own determination. I did. The MDX drives like a sports car (esp. the 2003), the Pilot like a mini-van.
LOL! :19: My guess is that you've driven neither a sports car nor a minivan.

The MDX suspension is certainly tighter than the Pilot, but don't you think that's a little extreme?

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bob Grammar said:
My husband and I did exactly that--drive both cars back to back. To be honest, we were on a waiting list for an MDX at the time and had been for two months, with two more months to go before it came in. My husband loved it and would have bought it in a heartbeat. I preferred the versatility of the Pilot. I liked the fact that the shift was on the steering column which freed up the space that is the center console in the Pilot. I thought the storage capacity was much better, it had DVD for the kids and had a softer ride, had the same drive train, horespower and engine as the MDX and was $5,000. cheaper than the Touring Edition that we had on order.

After not talking for a couple of days, my husband gave in, we got the Pilot and have been extremely happy with it. We would buy another in a New York minute!!

Having said all of that, the MDX is a fantastic car and if the Pilot hadn't come out, I would be driving one right now, but for what our needs were (3 kids with wide age differences, dog, carpooling) this seemed to make more sense for us at this time.

As for the leather "sagging" issue that is a hot topic over at the
Pilot forum, I honestly don't see what the big deal is--the leather is very soft, pliable and extremely comfortable. The seats are a little wrinkly where you sit, if it hadn't been brought up, I never would have noticed it. The paint issues that have been brought up have been mostly on Silver Pilots, of which I own one and do not have the issue at all. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but I haven't personally experienced it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts