Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

MDX vs new Honda Pilot?

9K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  a_schmidt 
#1 ·
From the spec sheet, the new Pilot is only shy from SHAWD, and of course styling differences. The Pilot is even better than 3rd gen MDX in some ways like rear cross traffic alert and LaneWatch.

Considering almost $15k MSRP difference, I really don't find any reason to purchase MDX if I purchase a family car.

Thoughts?

#4 ·
I wonder if Honda and Acura realize they are part of the same company? Other than styling and sh-awd option; you could go either way. I would consider the new pilot if the Acura dealership was several hours away compared to almost every town with 1-2 Honda dealerships.

#5 ·
My wife and I looked at both too...but the styling and the dimensions of the MDX is what sold us...even though you do get a better value/additional features with the Pilot. The Pilot does seat one more person and more cargo...but it seemed too big for us...the MDX seems smaller and feels smaller in our opinion.

#7 ·
I've seen a few of the new Pilots driving around and they really do look like enlarged CR-V's. Much better than the previous generation though but not as nice looking as the originals to me.

If I were set on a new MDX, I'd wait for the mid-model refresh that's coming up. Certainly Acura will remedy any differences then between the two models.

#8 ·
It comes down to styling. If I was considering a Pilot, then the other vehicle should really be a minivan. If you don't care about style then I assume you're practical. Dollar for dollar nothing can beat a well optioned minivan for comfort, capacity and utility. But I haven't reported for castration yet. :)

#14 ·
Something to be said about the dealership experience, which may be different where you live of course. My Acura dealer is great and has loaners available. My Honda dealer takes forever and the waiting area is always busy. I would buy an Acura minivan if they made one just for this reason.

#12 ·
test drove the pilot EXL the same day with the MDX because of the price difference. The pilot handles really nice, but feels slower. it feels very roomy inside. we didn't buy the pilot because.

1. 2 front seats are terrible, especially the cheap thin armrest compare to the MDX.
2. since it's new, the best deal I could get is 1k below msrp. where I bought the MDX SHAWD AWP at invoice (44k+ TTL). so the difference is like 6k only.

#15 ·
I thought I was going to love the new 2016 Pilot, but on the test drive, it was too soft and felt more like a minivan. I didn't care for the front seats with the fold-down arms. After that I test drove an MDX, and there's no comparison, it's really sporty and much more car-like to drive, and it has the capacity I need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.