Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Not in the same league

I also traded my Sube in for an MDX, and I do not think that there is much to compare, other than they are both 1) vehicles and 2) have AWD systems.

1) the AWD systems are entirely different, the MDX "anticipates" slippage based on throttle, it does not wait to sense it. Also, it uses a set of clutchpacks in the rear differential, unlike the Sube.

2) Winter performance. I had both vehicles in the snow and the MDX outperforms the Sube hands down. However, I will give the Sube a bit of slack bec. its tires stink. My experience w/the Michelin's on the MDX was quite good, I personally feel that the MDX brakes and corners better in the snow than a Sube.

Don't get me wrong, Subaru builds fine vehicles, but the Outback is tiny in comparison to the MDX, you're better off comparing the Subaru to an A4 Avant or something of that size. I wouldn't compare the 911 Carerra4 to a Subaru, as I wouldn't really put the MDX and Outback in the same category (I know I am exagerating a bit!)

· Registered
42 Posts
Elaboration

When I was a proud subaru owner:
Braking--- The ABS system seemed to engage often and very quickly, and to little help, in the snow. As I noted earlier, I believe this is a tire issue, not a vehicle issue.

Cornering: The Subaru was too easy to fishtail in the snow, it was like a dirt--track racer (which can be very fun), you had to counter-steer very often when making 90-degree turns at any rate of speed in the snow.

MDX:
In my experience last winter w/the MDX--
I had it in untouched 7-8 inches of snow covered roads and the braking was excellent. Also, the vehicle handled corners much better, with much more control. Don't get me wrong, when I pushed it hard, I got it to do some "doughnuts" but I had to really crank it (throttle and wheel). Also, w/ the VTM-4 on, in very high drifts 12"+, it was great, I believe a better performer than the Sube.

Don't misread my post, I personally think winter handling is 4/5 tires 1/5 vehicle. Car and Driver did a great article about a year back where they tested the same vehicles, 4wd version and 2wd versions, with winter tires and without. Many times, the 2wd drive vehicles with winter tires actually out performed teh 4wd vehicles w/"M+S" tires. My point is that if my Sube would have had some good Continentals of Blizzaks on it, I think it would have been a better winter performer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.