Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just need a general opinion. My friend recently purchase a used '99 Ford Explorer V8. He's bragging about how much power it has than the X and claims it will out run the car from start to finish. I am thinking about challenging him, but before I do, I would like all of your opinions about it.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
The worm is right. Plus it's just so bad for your transmission to floor it. Race him let him peel out and win while you drive nice and easy. One day his Ford will live up to it's name and his car will be... F-ound O-n R-oad D-ead. Actually don't even bother with that type of mentality. Just tell him that you know your MDX can't beat his Ford. Think of it this way I'm sure there are plenty of people out there wearing polyester suits who can out run others who wear Armani's.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
bchenMDX said:
claims it will out run the car from start to finish.
Just add him the maintenance costs from start to finish...

·
Registered
443 Posts
And make sure that his Explorer doesn't roll over when you go around a corner. :)

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
buhmabee said:
... Actually don't even bother with that type of mentality. Just tell him that you know your MDX can't beat his Ford. Think of it this way I'm sure there are plenty of people out there wearing polyester suits who can out run others who wear Armani's.
:21: :20: :19:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Place a bet then beat his sorry pos, that is unless his explorer is moded. If this is a co-worker invite the whole office to watch. Race for slips, jk.

·
Registered
499 Posts
He dosen't have a chance if you have an 03 X!

Then again he might have to race his waiting accident to a RECALL!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
FORD : Fix Or Repair Daily :(

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had a 97 Explore 4x4 loaded! It was recalled EIGHT times in two and a half years.

I paid 31K for it, when I traded it in for my 01 X three years later (2000) and 26k miles on the odometer, I got 12.5K dollars in trade in.

When I trade my 01 X in last week with 22k on the odometer, I got 31k in trade in.

Enough said!!!!!!!!!!:3:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ford Explorer vs MDX

Really how can you even begin to compare these two vehicle's ?
There is none The explorer is a truck at least change it to the mountaineer and give it a bit of a chance!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sorry, it is still an expensive Ford Explorer with more power!

·
Registered
738 Posts
bchenMDX said:
just need a general opinion. My friend recently purchase a used '99 Ford Explorer V8. He's bragging about how much power it has than the X and claims it will out run the car from start to finish. I am thinking about challenging him, but before I do, I would like all of your opinions about it.
Its not about brute strength. Its about the total package. If you really want to embarrass your friend, park the two vehicles side by side and ask any passerby which SUV they would take if offered either one as a gift. Heck, have all your friends/colleagues come out to vote!

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you want to be mean, let him drive your X. He'll never be the same.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi BchenMDX:

___I would say a 2 or 4WD 99 Explorer at 3900 – 4100 #’s w/ the only V8 offered in that model year (4.9 L w/ 215 HP and 288 Ft-lb’s of Torque) would get eaten alive by a much more advanced 03 X at 4400 – 4500 #’s with the 260 HP/250 Ft-lb’s of torque based engine. I would look up the 99 Explorer’s 0 – 60 times over at Car and Driver or similar mag first however.

___I really liked TheyCallMeBruce’s suggestion of which vehicle would everyone rather own …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
114 Posts
'98 Explorer does suck...read....

I am less than thrilled that I just replaced my transmission in my '98 Explorer after only 82K miles at a cost of approx $3K. I am still waiting for my 03 MDX, by the way......

Also, I see the 97-99 Explorers made Consumer Report's Used Cars to Avoid list.....

On the plus side, I do like the medium Wedgewood blue with grey interior color combo.....

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
bchenMDX said:
Say to him, "You've got a V8! Why do you want to race an SUV with V6, because it might give you a chance to win?"

·
Registered
206 Posts
In the old days one could understand certian bad decisions, ie: purchasing a FORD. It just goes to show, that given the wealth of infomation that is available to us today where info is literally at the tip of your finger (a mouse click away). A person still buys a FORD then and the nerve to utter "Uh I betcha my Ford could beat your MDX in a race!" Wanna Race? Only in America, God I love this country!

·
Registered
136 Posts
For the sake of completeness, I took a V8 Explorer for a test drive.

While it was peppier than the V6 (drove that too), it was still very blah.

I certainly wouldn't call it fast. It DID make alot of noise, tho. Maybe your friend mistakes noise for speed?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts