Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well - the family and I were unfortunately just involved in a 4-car accident with our '02 MDX. A Dodge Caravan drove into my rear bumber about 30-35 mph while I was stoped at a red light. This sent me into a Toyota Highlander that was in front of me and the Highlander delivered its momentum into a CL in front of it - caving in the CL's trunk in the process.

The good news is my 6-month old and 3 year old (who were in the 2nd seat and properly restrained in brand new LATCH-equiped car seats) appear to be OK. We just spent the last 2-3 hours in the ER for this news. My wife and I are a little sore in the neck and lower back. Man, that impact was HARD! The MDX seemed to hold up fairly well and I will try to post some pics in the next few days. Bumper and rear hatch obliterated and some compression of the way-back area judging by the fact that the headrest compartment cover now overhangs the compartment by 1-2 inches. There is no intrusion into the 3rd seat area. Could be some frame damage, but no glass shattered and the doors open with no apparent change in the gap panel distances. Surprisingly, my airbag did not inflate and my shoulder harness (pre-tensioners?) did not lock. My head careened into the steering wheel after the rear-end collision and back into the headrest after we hit the Highlander. Also, there appears to be no damage to the front of the car even though a lot of monentum was delivered to the Highlander and CL.

Given the fact that everyone is OK, I now can look forward to hours of inconvenience: arranging for a rental car, follow-up medical visits, bodyshop, etc. This time-killer should be part of any settlement. I also hope the insurance company doesn't try to stick us with a Chevy Cavilier to replace the the $40K SUV their policy-holder just crunched.

It's a real bummer, but in some ways I consider myself and my family to be very lucky.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
That is a real bummer, but I'm so glad that you and your family are okay. It's always scary to hear about an accident like that and know you have children there.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Good to hear that you are okay. Sounds like you are gonna be sore for a couple days so.... I am pleased to hear that the MDX did its job. I was driven today thinking about how safe I feel in this thing. Let me tell you driving in Atlanta is enough to make a grown person cry sometimes. Get well soon. Take it easy with yourself. Whiplash cna be a bugger sometimes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident just glad everyone, especially the children, are OK. I would recommend getting a good personal injury lawyer to make sure any medical problems that might turn up in the future would be covered. Whiplash related back problems could show up months and even years later. Make sure you don’t sign anything that clears the insurance company of future liability.

Earl

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
I'm also glad everyone is ok. I agree with nytflyt, in that I recommend you get a good personal injury lawyer to make sure any medical problems that might turn up in the future would be covered. Time is critical, so I'd do it as soon as possible. Back and neck injuries can be insidious in nature, so healthwise, be vigilant in the next few days, and note any pain or discomfort, no matter how small.

Please keep us posted on your progress. :4:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
mdxpecting.

Sad to hear that your X got crunched, glad to hear that it protected you and your family well.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Mdxpecting:

___In the larger scheme of things, thank god that your children, your wife and yourself are relatively Ok after the accident. The medical problems will hopefully have become a non-issue in a relatively short time vs. the rest of your entire family’s life yet to live.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
46 Posts
im glad everyone is ok. just so you know, you can expect the soreness to be increased over the next 48 hours or so, and then it should slowly start to decline. also, you are actually lucky to have only been in the ER for 2-3 hours. these days the average wait time itself is 3 hours! best of luck!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Great to hear that no one was seriously hurt. But I am a bit concerned that the driver-side airbag did not deploy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts