Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

MDX vs. Chevy Tahoe LT

11K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  MDXLuvr 
#1 ·
I have been on a list for an MDX for about 2 months. Recently, I rode in a friend's 2002 Tahoe LT (leather, roof, climate control, 3rd row seat, most everything the MDX offers). I fell in love with this vehicle. It was comfortable, smooth and powerful, as well as being a very attractive and stylish vehicle.

Normally I would not consider a GM product, but I have heard that chevy makes very reliable trucks. Is this true? With the present rebates added to the fact that I can buy one at invoice BEFORE the rebate, it is very appealing. Basically, with the discount I can purchase the Tahoe near the same price as the premium MDX at retail.

Am I being stupid for considering GM? Please help.....I need advice before I take the plunge. The Tahoe looks good, but will it measure up in the long run?

Thanks,
David

#2 ·
No, you are not stupid, GM makes some very attractive vehicles and have been making trucks for generations.
Parts are easy to get, and relatively reasonable in cost.
The problem is if you want to avoid going to the dealer for assorted problems. Look at Consumer Reports on the reliablitiy of most domestic SUVs and it's quite dismal.
If you think they are biased, then go to Alldata. com and look up various vehicles and see how many have had recalls for all kinds of problems.
Then check out NHTSA or the insurance institute for safety ratings as well as 5 mph parking lot damage, where the cost incurred by an MDX is about the same as a compact car.
And remember, your friend's Tahoe does not have real miles on it yet.
I am sure many of us on this board have looked at all the options, I have given the domestics a fair shake, and the few Ford's I have had, left me hanging. Only a Villager van was not so bad, except for body hardware. But then it had a Nissan drive-train, so what does that say?

#3 ·
Hey dad, I live in Hoe country. And in Burb country. More Hoes and Burbs are sold in Texas than in any other state. Heck, they are built here! (Arlington Plant). A lot of people love 'em.

Dale gives good advice. Your primary concern is reliability and Hoes and Burbs have historically been abysmal, though recently they look good. However, problems have historically crept up on these vehicles.

Personally, it's a truck. Looks like one. Drives like one. Lousy gas mileage. Interior ergonomics are typical GM....gross! And, finally, in Texas, everyone has one. I chose to think outside the bun.

:D

#4 ·
I own a 2K Tahoe LS and regret the day I bought it. I replaced a 97 two door Tahoe back in Jan 2K and it has been a real dissapointment in terms of engineering, build quality, an lack of component parts quality; typical GM "buy the parts from the low bidder".

3 passenger side (rear) window motors.
2 drivers side (rear) window motors
2 recalls
1 fuel pump (died in the middle of major four lane highway).
Replaced sterring column support.
Did I mention I really didn't care for this vehicle...

What really kills me is the obserd method of entering the vehicle to use the third row seating (should someone choose to order one).
A. Open rear door.
B. Flip second row seat foward; exposing entrance to third seat.
C. Step on the back (carpeted mind you) of the second row seat.
D. Spread mud on rear of second row seat.
E. Place your backside in the third row serat.
F. Repeat the process once or twice and you'll really loose faith in GM's engineers.

Did I mention I'm waiting for my dealer to take this off my hands, while searching for a white X.

MBG

#5 ·
MDXDAD
I drove 2 Yukons over 5 years (1997 & 1999). I am waiting for delivery of a SS Tour MDX. My wife and I confident about the MDX over Yukon. They are as follows: Safety, the results for Yukon was poor versus MDX's 5 star rating. The gas mileage for the Yukon was abysmal. I am hoping the mileage for MDX is close to claims. Kept the 1997 for 2 years and it held up wonderfully and never let me down. Comfortable, roomy, and handled very well. Wind noise was irritating. Sound system good. 1999 model was not up to the 1997. Didn't handle quite the same and over three years the front end did not hold up. Gas mileage continued to be abysmal. Wind noise was never improved in fact it got worse. The MDX handles better. Front end rock solid. Comfort is equal though less room. 240 is enough power 240 vs 255, 6 cylinders vs 8. I don't regret selecting MDX admittedly with no real time experience to confirm my expectations. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
RESpatz

#6 ·
krieg and shaman, looks like you got hosed by your Hoes. Your stories are not atypical. Some owners, though, in these here parts, swear by their Yuks and Hoes and Burbs.

And you know, in Texas, when ya look outside your driver's side window and all you see are bumpers staring you in the face, you tend to think twice about getting a Kia Sophia. The MDX offers the best combination of everything I want in an SUV, including better safety, as shaman mentioned, especially when I run up against these GM puppies on I635....aka the "Death Star of Interstates.";)

#7 ·
True, sooo true. Here in Tyler(country bumpin' territory) I will see 20-25 Tahoes or Burbs in a 15 min. drive.

Personally, I would never buy GM. But, If you really want to buy one- then the only vehicles to consider outside of a Z06 are there trucks/SUV's. GM has spent alot of money updating their CK truck line and CK based Tahoe/Burb. The current version of the Tahoe and Suburban's should have less quality issues now that they are in the 3rd year of production. If you need to tow, then u can't go wrong with a Tahoe. Kreighoff made a cardinal mistake(IMHO) by buying a GM in its first year of production(2000). Sure, its never going to have Honda quality, and sure the interior looks like it came from the LEGO factory, but u can get one at a huge discount and with low financing.

my 2 cents.

#11 ·
<<Kreighoff made a cardinal mistake (IMHO) by buying a GM in its first year of production (2000). >>

At what point does one place any trust in a manufacturer of a product. If the General can’t produce a quality automobile in the first year model run after 90 years in business why bother doing business with that particular company. After this last bout with GM I’m really disappointed and vowed I would NOT BUY a US designed / engineered automobile this trip.
Hence my joining this forum ;-)

MBG

#13 ·
krieghoff said:
<<Kreighoff made a cardinal mistake (IMHO) by buying a GM in its first year of production (2000). >>

If the General can’t produce a quality automobile in the first year model run after 90 years in business why bother doing business with that particular company.

MBG
That's my point. GM's management is full of CPA's, and MBA's and Marketing studs, but not car guys. Bob Lutz is the only REAL car guy- and he joined them 6 months ago. Why the hell would u make 3 different versions of the same car(Chevy, Pontiac, Buick) when u can't get the basic engine and tranny desgin correct. It would be smarter to focus on improving quality, reliability, safety instead of focusing on different grill and dash designs(to make the same car look different).

IMHO, only Honda/Acura, and Toyota/Lexus make vehicles that I would buy the day they are launched. Heck, even the MDX had 1st year quality issues, but nothing that I would lose sleep over.

#14 ·
Hoe

The exterior design of the Tahoe is attractive. Looks like a truck and is tough looking in a "designer integrated" way. I certainly considered one based on the popularity around here in Northern Calif. especially in the Sierras during ski season. However, after speaking to a neighbor who purchased a 2001, I opted for the X and have not regretted it. (wanted to stay loyal to the Acura monicker anyway, however would never have purchased an SLX). Neighbor has already had an oil leak problem and a transmission shifting difficulties. He also mentioned that with 25K his brakes are mushy and starting to make noises (claims he is a gentle driver). I dunno though, despite all of the negative Consumer Reports, et al., , neighbor/friend anecdotal repair stories; there sure are alot of Tahoes out there, so one would think most of them must be OK.

Despite the extra $, and if I needed the room/size/towing I would opt for the Toyota Landcruiser. Superior quality and resell than the Tahoe, and looks almost as good. My other neighbor picked up a '97 LC with over 95K on it and reports no problems. The Toyota Seq. looks too much like a Tundra with a well integrated camper shell on top.

But if you can, wait for the X! (the Volvo XC90 is gonna have lots of production quality problems-still using Turbos??, Bimmer X series too much $ for the size and the panache kind of wears off after many return visits to the dealer; the LX 470 looks good, but again the $ for a gussied up Toyota Seq; the MB, despite Lester 89, is attractive but continues to have production problems; Porsche Cheyenne, gotta be kidding; Infinity's replacement for the outmoded QX4 imhop, will give the most niche trouble for the MDX, especially if Infinity brings it in under 38K: perceived to be slightly upscale over MDX, equal quality, smooth 260 HP engine, aggressive organic looks)

#15 ·
MDXDAD...don't do it...

Just a word of caution...

We bought a redesigned Chevy Blazer in 1995, and I have never had so many problems with a vehicle. I am talking 34 documented problems - not counting recalls - in the first 36,000. Yes, all covered under warranty - but completely unreliable! We did not press hard enough to get a new car (younger and more stupid then) and now we would! BUT.....the very reason we chose the MDX (besides it being a wonderful vehicle) was for the fact that it was made by Acura - and hopefully boringly reliable (I hope!!!;) )

Just food for thought - I would never encourage GM product over the MDX! And besides, you will see that vehicle everywhere - not the MDX!;)

Just wait for the X (you can do it), and you won't be disappointed!

#16 ·
Envoy XL

If you want something more comparable in size, and if you are willing to get GM, then why not try the GMX Envoy XL? It's coming out in the summer, providing three rows of seating, with the third row accomodating adult passengers up to 6'2.

I personally will not by from the Big Three again since my experiences with the Ford Taurus, Dodge Neon, and Jeep Grand Cherokee, all dismal when it comes to reliability. Not to mention comparing the trade-in value in 5 years...

#17 ·
I know I'm late but....

I also came very close to buying a Tahoe. I really liked them before I found my MDX. Big Barolounger seats, lots of power, good looks, selling way below invoice, blah blah blah.

Once I drove an MDX I knew the Tahoe was wrong. It simply drove like a truck and the MDX like a touring sedan. Since I was going to spend most of the time on the road, the MDX was the choice. The mileage difference was an added bonus.

After 6 weeks and 4,000 miles I could not be more pleased. Hang in there and wait on the MDX, you'll be glad you did.

MIKEinTN

#18 ·
MDX v Tahoe

Besides all of the quality issues others have posted on the Tahoe/Suburban, the Tahoe is a fundamentally different design than the MDX. It is based on truck chassis. The MDX is based on mini-van platform. The truck chassis is strong, but adds weight. This gives it strength but also gives is poor handling and ride. It forces other compromises as well. It uses a live rear axel (just like the pickup it is derived from) and that forces the third row seat to have poor ergonomics. The third row seat is essentially mounted on what would be th pick truck bed. The seat is extremely uncomfortable for anyone but a kid.

The MDX handles extremely well for a vehicle of its weight and height, and is comparable to some cars. Its steering is precise, has very good brakes ,and good power. The Tahoe handles poorly (remember its a truck), and its steering is vague.

If you prefer an SUV that drives more like a car then the MDX is a very good choice.

#19 ·
Regarding GM quality

or lack of if. A friend of mine bought a 2000 burb. he had to take it to the dealer 16 times in the 1st year. ouch. GM blames it on 1st year quality issues, but my friend got sick of it, and traded it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.