Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Theres a recall on the X5.......

I should really get the full report but there was a recall on the X5 don't know if it's the V6 or V8 but I suspect both is being recalled. Apperently the suspect is some kind of pin lock for the steering system that comes off during normal driving that causes the X5 to loose control. I'll get a copy of the article and post the exact details.

· Registered
317 Posts
AC1 said:
...We ended up getting a 01 X5 4.4i SP with just about everything possible on the truck, even phone and voice activated system for $54,200.

Gotta admit, cargo space sux on the X5.
Congratulations to your purchase on the X5... the BMW is a fine car too and the price is just way up there. Personally I would love to have the BMW brand and its look but I don't miss its other stuff...

· Registered
4 Posts
RedMdxMemphis said:

Congratulations to your purchase on the X5... the BMW is a fine car too and the price is just way up there. Personally I would love to have the BMW brand and its look but I don't miss its other stuff...
Thanx for the compliment! I'm actually in the market for an MDX for my father. He doesn't want a V8 cuz of the gas issues, but wants a V6 and IMO, the MDX is the creme of the crop for V6 SUV's!

· Registered
317 Posts
AC1:
Good luck to your Dad's search. To maximize the benefit for the money around 40K-ish, many of us found MDX is best V6 SUV there is .. It is a technology wonder, a nice combination of luxary and driving and a real "utility space. Hope your dad get in the queue or find a good source to avoid the wait.

:) :)

· Registered
4 Posts
RedMdxMemphis said:
AC1:
Good luck to your Dad's search. To maximize the benefit for the money around 40K-ish, many of us found MDX is best V6 SUV there is .. It is a technology wonder, a nice combination of luxary and driving and a real "utility space. Hope your dad get in the queue or find a good source to avoid the wait.

:) :)
Thanx! Fortunately, my local Acura dealer sales man and I have a very good "understanding" :D He sold me my TL for sticker so I think he feels bad now :D

When we were in the market (before we bought the X5) he was willing to bump us up to #1 and take the next MDX that was coming in, and he said he'd be willing to do the same so we'll see what happens.

BTW, man I love the new Range Rover that's coming out, but they estimate it to be in the $80,000's...ouch!

· Registered
1,329 Posts
you know what???

We are not in the 80s anymore sooo...having a prestigious mark is not the "in" thing now. Besides the X5 is WAY too pricey for what its worth.

Hell if I want 19" for the extra 15K that the X5 costs over the MDX. I can buy 20" put in a NICE DVD Playstation entertainment system, Add on performance and STILL have money left over to buy accesories for my other vehicle.

And honestly..for some reason the X5 looks like a 530i Station wagon raised on 19" tires...Sorry...I just it like that.

BMW are excellent cars...Am saving up to get the Z8. but not X 5

· Registered
17 Posts
I own two amazing MDX's which I couldn't be happier with, everything is great! It is my favourite SUV, for practical reasons. I also think that the beamer is a really great vehicle. My friends have a 4.4i and it does amazingly in the winter. The V8 is amazing, the interior looks great! the only problem is that BMW really didn't consider that after making the outside look great is that the seats would have to go in. The seats are up to BMW standards, but the trunk is almost non_existent. If money and value were did not matter and I needed no cargo space I would own a BMW X5 right now. The problem is that they are, so thats why the BMW is not practical to so many people. Maybe this will work a bit better for BMW.

http://www.motortrend.com/may01/xvehicle/xvehicle_f0.html

· Registered
18 Posts
One other positive the MDX has over the X5. They don't self ignite. There has been two incidents in the Boston area recently with the X5 going up in flames on it's own, parked in a garage. One of the incidents was in Hanson MA. It burnt the house down. I believe the other incident was in Natick MA. I wonder if that is an option. lol

· Registered
650 Posts
Yup--Nikonf is right...take a look at the article on the X5 in this newsletter--click the first pdf on the page:

http://www.state.ma.us/dfs/pubs/dfsq.htm

The article states that probability of fire is low, though engine defect is high. It also recounts the two incidents where the fire was started.

Don't get me wrong, I like the X5 as well--I actually like the looks better than my MDX. But when you look at value--what you get for your 50K--the MDX can't be beat. And I do like that it doesn't spontaneously combust!

Rob :cool:

· Registered
4 Posts
The biggest driving factor for us was that we wanted an SUV that drove more like a car, and we found this in the X5 only. Unfortunately, we felt that the MDX drove too much like the Oddesey, but then it kinda makes sense I guess. We loved the cargo space (we're paying for that now since we haul stuff back and forth to Pittsburgh), the "you can't miss the AC controls", and the price. On the other hand, we felt the the X5 had better ergonomics, much better drive feel (closest thing to a car, IMO) and the fact that it had Xenons as options, oh the looks were much better for us as well.

I am currently still trying to purchase a MDX for my father but not having too much luck with availability...my dealer lied to me, what's new.

Our X5 has yet to see snow so I'll update you guys on how these massive 19 inch wheels perform. All in all, we're very happy with the purchase...although I was freaked out by the "self igniting issue" but that's been taken care of the first day.

· Registered
2,362 Posts
Yep, I love the X5 too but it just isn't practical for me. I prefer its styling over the MDX. I like the X5's handling, though ride comfort is an issue for me.

I am disappointed about reports of X5 reliability (or lack thereof). New plant in South Carolina and other factors don't seem to be helping at all. Hopefully folks here who have them don't run into them. The X5's problems at this point seem worse than the first couple of years (more like 1.5 years) of the M-class, which were really, really bad (M-class's current below-average score is thus considered a huge improvement).

I don't buy into the excuse that the German vehicles aren't as reliable as the Japanese vehicles. One can use the excuse when the Japanese vehicles are a notch better (e.g. "well above average as compared to above average"). But it doesn't excuse being two or three notches behind, that's WAY too much of a disparity.

Still love the X5 though ...

· Registered
317 Posts
Drive like a car?

AC1 said:
The biggest driving factor for us was that we wanted an SUV that drove more like a car, and we found this in the X5 only. ...
If I can buy another SUV, the next one will be X5. :) Personally I would treat the X5 as my tall sedan. In reality, honestly I can't justify it. As BMW call the X5, it is Sport Activity Vehicle... They didn't lie to people. It is not a utility car. :p People driving X5 are in a different life style, and probably hire people to make the trip to Home Depot. ;)

Anyway, I found your comment interesting on the car-like feeling. The most car like feeling among SUVs is Lexus RX 300. Pure and simple. Then it is the MDX. The BMW's performace is more like race car.. perform well, very stiff like a truck (I have an 325i) , etc. Unless you think all cars should drive like a BMW sedan, then your "drive like a car" comment would be understandable. i.e. the BMW X5 drive like a BMW sedan.

Just my 2 cents.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.