Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all:

Just came over from Acura-tl.com and registered today, and am so glad this club exists. I wanna trade my TL for either the MDX or the X5. any suggestions>??

great sight by the way..
:cool:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Check out the comparisons forum

Check out the comparisons forum or do a search for X5 -- there is a lot of information out there.

·
681 Posts
My $0.02 Worth

I agree that you will find a lot of discussion here under comparisons. You can also find several auto magazines which did competitive comparisons (all of which the MDX won by the by).
I had the same choice as I thought the MDX and the X5 were the two best. You will find distinct differences. The X5 has a great interior, very sporty handling, surprisingly little room, a crappy navigation system, a nervous ride on bumpy roads and low speed handling that would embarrass a Panzer.
I went for the room, the better nav. system and the overall driving experience in the MDX and I certainly have never regretted my choice.
Meep Meep

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm in the same market, and I tend to agree with everything Roadrunner said. The X5 is no longer in contention for my business, but then again a guy who works with my wife just bought one after narrowing down to the same two vehicles.

The one thing I would add is the price difference. Even a stripped down X5 3.0i is going to set you back more than an MDX. Comparably equipped, you're going to plunk down something like $10K more for the Bimmer, and a loaded out 4.4i is over $60K!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
BigSkyTL,
I agree with both Roadrunner and Iceman but also consider performance in snow living in the "Unibomber State." One review I have read said the X5 was much worse in snow than the MDX. More importantly, a MDX is a much better companion to a John Deere than a Bimmer. I should know since I have a Deere in my garage also!;)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Admittedly we're a bit biased here - but in this case we're right! I love seeing X5's on the road; they're beautiful machines - but I'm glad someone else owns them :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
I love the X5

I acually love the X5 and it woulda been my first choice, but,

1. way too small
2. a little pricey for what you get
3. first model year reliability is probably not as high as Acura's
4. did I mention it was too small (this was the overwhelming reason).

I do love the 19" wheels you can get on the 4.4i, too.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Big Sky, check out this comparo for a good review of both the X5 and MDX:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/comparisontests/2000/December/200012_comparisontest_designerutes.xml

You can go ahead and jump to the last two pages of the comparo cuz that's where you'll find the X5 and MDX, with the MDX being on the VERY last page of course :)

I personally would have ranked the X5 behind the RX 300. My main problem with the X5 is the lack of cargo room. My old 1st gen CR-V actually had roughly 10 more cu ft of cargo capacity. I wanted more room, not less.

While the X5 does look nice in the 4.4i 19" wheeled variety, the base model looks kind of, well, base. It's kind of the same feeling I get when I see a base model Camaro. My first reaction is always: "oh, too bad they didn't get the Z/28 with the cool wheels and 305 hp V-8." I have the same reaction to a lesser extent when I see a base MDX, but it's not quite the same feeling cuz I know it's packing the same engine under the hood and is only missing a few niceties compared to the Touring model.

Also, I've read comparos where the X5 breaks down for one reason or another when taken off road in conditions that the MDX conquers with ease. The MDX, while not a heavy duty off-roader, was engineered for "medium duty off-road applications." You can click on my sig line below to read more about this attribute of the MDX of which I am particularly fond :)

However, if handling performance is your number one criteria and you can live with the cargo capacity, poor off-roading and other shortcomings, you may be better off with the X5.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I was waiting for gator to provide that designer ute link:D

my 2 cents on the X5.

STRENGTHS:
1. BMW badge up front(if your into that).
2. Choice of V8.
3. Sports sedan hadling and acceleration.
4. Sweet rims.
5. Better Interior(IMHO).
6. Free maintenance for 3 years.
7. Quieter(than the MDX) at 70 mph.

WEAKNESSES:
1. Lack of Room. 16 cubic ft. behind 2nd row seat is RIDICULOUS!!
2. Harsh ride, specially with the sports package.
3. $10k more than comparably equipped MDX if you get the 3.0.
4. Poor gas mileage.
5. Poor Navi.

I could go on and on, but suffice it to say, i would get a BMW 540i wagon instead of the X5.

cya

·
Registered
715 Posts
Everyone, I am sorry, but I have to say I like the interior of the MDX better than the beemer. I have seen soooooo many post deriding the MDX's interior, but I find the ergonomics more to my taste than the X class, and I have owned a BWM in the past.

I traded in a Lexus GS300 and I found the MDX's interior to be very complementary to the Lexus in so many ways......maybe that is why I preferred it over the X5. \

Fake wood? Gee, couldn't tell the difference between the MDX fake wood and the real GS300 wood, except the lamination on the MDX has not, as yet, warped under the Texas sun like my GS300 wood has.

Anyway, I agree with most of the above posts.....I was tempted by the x5, but interior room, ergonomics, wife having an Odyssey in the next stall, persuaded me to MDX-it all the way!

And I haven't regretted my decision yet!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Octavian, it made me feel so good to see someone else (besides me) who can't tell the difference between the fake wood and the real wood! This is constantly held up as a point of inferiority when comparing Acuras to other luxury carmakers, and I really couldn't care less.

I tend to prefer the interior design and ergonomics of Japanese cars better than German ones, too, which is of course purely personal. So how did you like your GS300 overall? I'm tossing around the MDX, TL Type-S, and GS430 as my next car choices...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Iceman said:
Octavian, it made me feel so good to see someone else (besides me) who can't tell the difference between the fake wood and the real wood! This is constantly held up as a point of inferiority when comparing Acuras to other luxury carmakers, and I really couldn't care less.

I tend to prefer the interior design and ergonomics of Japanese cars better than German ones, too, which is of course purely personal. So how did you like your GS300 overall? I'm tossing around the MDX, TL Type-S, and GS430 as my next car choices...
It's funny you should mention not being able to tell the difference, cuz many of the early reviews of the MDX I've read (e.g. the one by Autoweek in Belize?) mention the nice wood trim, apparently oblivious to the fact that it's all fake :p I also remember seeing another review where they said the fake MDX wood looks better than some maker's real wood :)

I concur with your review of the cockpit, the ebony interior looks fantastic IMO and I love the steering wheel and gauges. I think it was MT's comparo of the MDX v. X5 v. RX300 where they wrote that the cockpit is reminiscent of the NSX. That's plenty good enough for me :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Gator, your observations are impeccable...I enjoy reading your posts!

Iceman, I am a 15 year Toyota/Lexus fan. I liked my 93 GS300 for the past 8 years overall...could have had more power and better handling, but I definitely would have gone with the GS430, but for four reasons:

1) I live in Texas.....EVERTYTHING here is either an SUV or Suburban or Expedition or humongous pickup truck.....I have a picture on my office wall of a offroad pickup with monster tires on top of a Camaro, its wheel sitting right through the windshield. "Nuff said!:D

2) I put the $10,000 I saved toward buying my son his first car and

3) my wife has an Odyssey and has been very happy with the design, build quality and performance, and

4) THIS SITE! I got so much information and feedback and opinions from people like Gator who know a hell of a lot more about cars than I do......it confirmed all what I read about the MDX.....honest opinions, both good and bad....I figured I wanted to be part of the MDX movement!

:p

·
Registered
681 Posts
Since you all have pretty much covered all the major strengths and weakness of the two, I would like to add one more point which is very important to me:

The X5 will cost much more in maintenance cost over the life of the vehicle comparing to the MDX based upon each manufacturer past vehicles, IMHO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thx for info...

I've been reading your posts as well as doing my own research (motortrend, car and driver, MFR websites...) and ill continue to do so. I still like the beemer ..1 for the badge, and the "eliteness" that goes with it. and 2 i like the exterior look of BMW a little better. 3. I love the HID (xenon) headlights on my TL, and they're on X5 as well as RX300.. WHY doesn't MDX have Xenon headlights????

BUT, i love the space of the MDX many times over the X5 or RX. I think that alone is an essential element. i mean, if room weren't a factor, i'd definitely go for the TL-Stype.

Anyway, Im not going to be actually buying until summer of 2002, maybe by then either MDX will have xenon headlights or the new 2003 RX will be larger.

thanks guys...
great forum

:D

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: thx for info...

BigSkyTL said:
...I still like the beemer ..1 for the badge, and the "eliteness"
Beemer is a great car too and I went through the same thought process. Wouldn't it be nice if BMW makes MDX? Ha! :D

However, when it all comes down to a decision is still to consider what to gain and lose by buying a beemer as opposed to what to gain and lose by having a more useful and advanced utility MDX. They are two different cars. You are the one to decide. Badge may be so important that nothing else matter. You wil find other people want to buy a Mercedez Benz no matter what.. and that is a name thing. No enough articles or reviews can change their minds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2 cents worth on this topic...

We have test driven the RX300, X5, ML320 and of course the MDX.
Eliminated the ML320 (too truck like), and the RX300 (somewhat old now)..so it was down to the MDX and X5.

IMHO, the X5 (3.0) is a sweet riding vehicle, but the lack of space in the rear, and the extra 9 grand or so compared to the MDX w/ Touring make it less appealing than the MDX.

For snob appeal, or eliteness or whatever you call it, the Bimmer can't be beat, but if you want an honest to goodness type of SUV that will give you many years of service, I think the MDX does a fine job.

Looks like I will be going to the local dealer here in suburban Detroit in the next few days to get my order in!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: My 2 cents worth on this topic...

arvinonline said:
... IMHO, the X5 (3.0) is a sweet riding vehicle, but the lack of space in the rear, and the extra 9 grand or so compared to the MDX w/ Touring make it less appealing than the MDX.
Since I am not an X5 owner, I don't know how proud I will feel driving it. I imagine I would be since I own a bimmer 325i. On the SUV side, however, my first trip to Home Depo and furniture store this weekend made me feel *very* good about picking the MDX. It's trunk space and the design is just magic.

Today, I picked a large living room table and a side tables, both in the box. With both back seat rows flip down, the trunk space swollow both boxes in it. I must say the boxes were very large.. one's width as wide as a plywood piece. What a utility car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too once had this "issue". My wife and I considered the RX300, MDX, and X5. We ruled out the RX due to its "floaty" ride and bland styling. The MDX, to me drove like the Oddesey but loved the cargo space. Didn't like the fact the MDX didn't have Xenons and the interior was too TL like (just got rid of TL so didn't want the same feel again). The X5, well, ofcourse the wife had to pick the freakin 4.4i and she insisted on the Sports Package. She loves the truck over the others due to its "sedan" feel when driven hard. Loved the interior (looks very similar to my 540's interior) but the NAVI sux major @ss, like the "bulldog" stance of the X5.

My wife drove all 3 SUV/SAV whatever you wanna call it, she picked the X5 over the MDX for its ride quality, looks, interior, ergonomics, and rear heated seats. We ended up getting a 01 X5 4.4i SP with just about everything possible on the truck, even phone and voice activated system for $54,200.

Gotta admit, cargo space sux on the X5.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts