Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

MDX up north

9K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  MK23666 
#1 ·
Metallic Silver with Touring and Navi,
just did a 1600 mile round trip - what a riot!

See less See more
#3 ·
WOW ! SWEET !

ENJOY !

:D

#4 ·
MDX on ice - lots of ice

OK, here's a first (unless some our Canadian friends have beat me to it) - forgetting that discretion is the better part of valor - here is a picture of my silver MDX on a northern Minnesota lake.

A couple thoughts:

Even thought there is plenty of ice - about 24 inches, this was awfully unnerving - I wouldn't mind my 89 Cherokee becoming fish structure, the MDX is a different story.

Pretty cool when the navigation system showed the car heading out into the middle of the lake (and surprising that the lake was in the database, since they're missing most of the roads around here...)

Hey, if the map program had bathymetry data, this thing could really have potential! Drive out to the right depth and fish!

Anyway, hope you all enjoy these - a different take on the gallery. Don't try this down south!

#6 ·
tailgate deflector details

Hi all, I installed the tailgate deflector last saturday, here's some not-particularly-good pictures of the process. The picture on the left shows where the holes are drilled and their relative size (these are 5/16, as I didn't has an 8 mm bit - it works fine). Pic on the right shows upper surface with adhesive foam washers installed. Final product pictures to follow

#9 ·
Looks Great -- tips?

Ghost,

Deflector looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing the pics. Any tips for the install? I'm gonna take a crack @ it this coming weekend. Do you drill all the way through from the inside sheet metal to the outside? Did you put any touchup paint on there, etc etc?

Any other tips would be great!

Thanks in advance.

#10 ·
Thanks Worm! I did just post some tips over on the "Drilling holes" thread at
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=2863#post2863

You definitely want to drill from the inside out - there are some marker dimples there. Also I could just see the drill bit skittering across the top of the tailgate, oofta!

Did you get instructions with your TD? I got a couple pages attached to my invoice from Tim, they were pretty useful. Let me know maybe I can find a way to post them.

It's pretty easy though - I'm not a mechanical type and got it on just fine - go for it!

#11 ·
Great pictures. Don't know if you saw my discussion with A4L but I suggested that admin create a link with all of the pics we submitted thumbnailed in one place. I think your pictures will definitely be a great addition. It will especially help the ones planning to do some installation themselves later on.

Can't wait.....

#12 ·
Brave......Brave Guy!!

Ghost,
You are a brave, brave guy for drilling into your baby. I wouldn't be so brave......I had the dealer install mine.

#13 ·
Great job !

Everyone's pictures will be coming soon to the Gallery !
It's going to be sweet !!!

Dealership installed mine too...it was part of the closing deal.:D

#14 ·
you are nuts

I can't believe you drove your brand new MDX onto the middle of a lake... Forget being brave for drilling holes, you are absolutely nuts for taking your baby out there. What are you doing, driving a Zamboni? I was born and raised in Southern Cal so I know nothing about winter, but I just don't think I could put my foot on the gas even if somebody double dog dared me... We generally laugh at the slogan "Defeat Winter" around these here parts. Maybe you should have found that Glacier Cave that they have in the Brochure. Maybe that was your car, it was Silver too. Hmmmm. OK MDX Poster boy, you are the man... I'm going to take my MDX to the beach now and see if I can't find Pamela Anderson...

Great Pics and thanks

#15 ·
Thanks Ghost

Thanks to ghost for the install tips. It was actually pretty easy and painless, and I don't need to buy a new tailgate, either :)

#17 ·
Thanks, Imoimo! It's been a long time since I looked at these, it's hard to believe what a frozen place this is in January; I'm sure you have the same thing!

Stay tuned, I've just added a set of side steps, and will upload some new pictures soon - these will have green in them... :)

#19 ·
Re: Beautiful phots...the one in the distance in the snow makes

GaTadpole777 said:
your MDX look white...really pretty.
You have done a nice job here. Did you catch any fish though? If so, what kind through the ice I guess?

Thanks
Hi Tad, I recall that one not being a particularly successful day. On other trips though, it's beem a good lake for croppies, my son pulled a couple 1.5 pounders out through the ice on a previous trip (he was 7 at the time, got pretty excited about them; me too) It's also good for the occassional northern.

I just went to that lake again last week chasing bass, this time in a canoe - hard to believe I was driving on it a few months ago!

#20 ·
Re: MDX on ice - lots of ice

ghost said:

Pretty cool when the navigation system showed the car heading out into the middle of the lake (and surprising that the lake was in the database, since they're missing most of the roads around here...)

Hey, if the map program had bathymetry data, this thing could really have potential! Drive out to the right depth and fish!
I have noticed the same thing. The Sacramento Delta is mapped really well with all the waterways. Very intricate. Very few roads are mapped though. So you you would be better off on a barge :).

Chris

#21 ·
" Hey, if the map program had bathymetry data, this thing could really have potential! Drive out to the right depth and fish! "

It would be nice if the display screen had PDA like capabilities. That way you could download different programs for different situations, (such as the quote above) and for watching TV or DVDs, playing MP3s and a whole host of other programable functions. Now that's an interesting concept.

ARE YA LISTENING HONDA?:D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.