Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
61 - 80 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Actually...,

they are upgrading that feature to the 2023 version for my troubles, which apparently will have a few extra settings and include an ashtray for later. Ashtray's will be making a comeback I predict!
Yeah, Probably to hold the "roaches" everyone will be Smoking !! No Cigarettes, but Weed is Ok.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've never owned (or leased) a German car. Driven them (the Audi A6 in 2013 I test drove, Knocked My Socks Off - but too expensive for me), and had outstanding handling characteristics. I may be talking out of my ass, but just based on comparisons from associates who owned various German cars, many had "Bugs" with certain components (many were electronic related - VW was notorious for those problems).
I was always afraid to own a German car myself. I'd owned nothing but "made in Japan" Japanese cars. With that said I got married and my wife had her "must haves" and I had my "must haves" - specifically we ended up with: rear wheel drive, manual transmission, sporty, 4 doors, and safe / comfortable. That left us with only a few options - the Infiniti G3x and the BMW 3 or 5 series. After driving a bunch of examples of each it really came down to whichever one I found a good used example of first. That was a nice 3 series. I read all the "horror stories" of German cars - got myself nearly sick worried about what a financial disaster it might be but ended up going through with buying it anyway. Nearly 12 years later I still have it and it's been truly great. I still love driving it and it's been very reliable - I've DIY'd a few minor oil leaks and a water pump - but the thing is 17+ years old, so what do you expect. My Audi seems a bit more problematic with minor bugs (also a first model year), but fits my needs perfectly and the whole family seems to prefer trips in it.

All that to say - if you think you liked driving them personally I wouldn't hesitate to give one a shot one day. I did and have been hooked ever since with no financial disaster or horror stories here.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S Adv Apex Blue Pearl | 2021 Model 3 Performance Midnight Grey Metallic
14 Posts
We purchased my MDX type S advanced on April 2nd. We just so happened to see the demo unit on the lot and loved the color. On the 11th of May our front left air suspension bag got a tear and deflated. Today I called the dealership and they had me use Acura roadside assistance to tow it in. That was fine. After it got there they called my wife and let us know there was indeed a tear in the bag and that they would need to replace the entire front left strut. She asked them about a loaner and they danced around the question. The part is on backorder with no expected delivery date. So now I have a 72k vehicle in the shop with 888 miles on it. I am going to call back in the morning to hopefully get some more news as I didn’t speak with the service manager or GM yet. I did reach out to Acura corporate to make them aware of this issue as it could be a common problem going forward.

The bag ripped while in our subdivision going around 23 miles per hour as my wife took a soft right turn. I heard what sounded like a tire deflating and her dashboard started showing orange errors. Everything from cruise control to the braking system. I will follow up with updates as I have been searching the internet for anyone else with a similar issue but have yet to find anything.

·
Registered
544 Posts
We purchased my MDX type S advanced on April 2nd. We just so happened to see the demo unit on the lot and loved the color. On the 11th of May our front left air suspension bag got a tear and deflated. Today I called the dealership and they had me use Acura roadside assistance to tow it in. That was fine. After it got there they called my wife and let us know there was indeed a tear in the bag and that they would need to replace the entire front left strut. She asked them about a loaner and they danced around the question. The part is on backorder with no expected delivery date. So now I have a 72k vehicle in the shop with 888 miles on it. I am going to call back in the morning to hopefully get some more news as I didn’t speak with the service manager or GM yet. I did reach out to Acura corporate to make them aware of this issue as it could be a common problem going forward.

The bag ripped while in our subdivision going around 23 miles per hour as my wife took a soft right turn. I heard what sounded like a tire deflating and her dashboard started showing orange errors. Everything from cruise control to the braking system. I will follow up with updates as I have been searching the internet for anyone else with a similar issue but have yet to find anything.
Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your issues. Very frustrating and hopefully an isolated issue.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S Adv Apex Blue Pearl | 2021 Model 3 Performance Midnight Grey Metallic
14 Posts
Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your issues. Very frustrating and hopefully an isolated issue.
Thanks! Hopefully it is just an isolated issue. It is concerning it is even possible that it would break like that. I am also concerned about them not offering a loaner or rental. Hopefully hear some better news tomorrow as now we only have my model 3 for both of us to share.

Reactions: brian_tii

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thanks! Hopefully it is just an isolated issue. It is concerning it is even possible that it would break like that. I am also concerned about them not offering a loaner or rental. Hopefully hear some better news tomorrow as now we only have my model 3 for both of us to share.
Yeah the loaner situation is tough because there is such a shortage but they really need to figure it out. Ask if they can arrange a rental or grab something from used inventory even. Heck my Audi dealer was bending over backwards to figure out a loaner or rental when they were out of their loaner pool so that I wouldn’t have to drive 10 miles back and wait 30 minutes for an O2 sensor swap on my used CPO car that I didn’t even buy from them. I told them to give up and that I truly didn’t mind. Aka - your dealer really needs to step it up a bit. There are Acura dealers who do this right.

Hopefully you just a got a defective one and swapping it out fixes everything and you’ll be good to go. Given how complicated cars are these days it’s a miracle they’re not broken more.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Small update. The Owner/GM called me this morning and let me know the status. They found the part in California, the only one in the country right now, and are trying to order it from them. They are going to try to provide me a loaner car this weekend but are unsure if that will be possible as they don't have any loaners on hand. My wife had mentioned a buyback, I had only mentioned it to her in passing as a last ditch effort thing when we were discussing the issue, and they got a little nervous. They tried to claim they wouldn't be able to pay us what we paid for it. This does not concern me as the car has fewer than 1k on it and the lemon laws in my state are pretty strong. I will try to update at the end of the day as that is when I will know anything about the part or loaner. Feel free to ask any questions or make suggestions.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The more expensive doodads we pay for on our cars...the more we have a chance that the expensive doodad breaks!

That is very disappointing to hear

I always would like to think that if I pay more, I am getting a higher quality, more reliable product and so my money is well spent. Unfortunately life has taught me over and over that this isn't always the case

·
Registered
14 Posts
Last update for a bit. GM found me a loaner and we will be picking it up in the morning. They are pulling a part from the assembly line to repair our vehicle as Acura corporate got involved. I will say I am impressed at the level of effort I am getting now. It is very likely they will keep me as a customer going forward as long as everything works out well. We have had a good experience with Acura up until this point and it is likely a one off issue. I still have faith the vehicle will be fine and honestly the type s is the most fun vehicle of its size south of 100k.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Last update for a bit. GM found me a loaner and we will be picking it up in the morning. They are pulling a part from the assembly line to repair our vehicle as Acura corporate got involved. I will say I am impressed at the level of effort I am getting now. It is very likely they will keep me as a customer going forward as long as everything works out well. We have had a good experience with Acura up until this point and it is likely a one off issue. I still have faith the vehicle will be fine and honestly the type s is the most fun vehicle of its size south of 100k.
That's good to hear
If you think about it, that is a horrible part to have break so quickly, and so Acura corporate is probably smart to try to get this fixed ASAFP so you will forget about it and don't turn into the next Canadian guy posting long threads about their saga with a broken car! Still would have me concerned about that Type S when it goes out of warranty if those air shocks are that delicate that they pop while being driven by a wife at 23mph

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Glad to hear Acura is stepping up to fix the part.

On a side note I've seen two non-Type S MDX's that had the same exact body alignment issue I do above the rear right tail light. Think it's more common than just mine.

Reactions: brian_tii

·
Registered
544 Posts
Awesome! A few others haven’t had as good of luck with Acura, mostly Acura Canada though. Very glad to hear they’re doing the right thing. I can forgive quite a few stumbles as long as they’re trying to move in the right direction and in good faith.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That's good to hear
If you think about it, that is a horrible part to have break so quickly, and so Acura corporate is probably smart to try to get this fixed ASAFP so you will forget about it and don't turn into the next Canadian guy posting long threads about their saga with a broken car! Still would have me concerned about that Type S when it goes out of warranty if those air shocks are that delicate that they pop while being driven by a wife at 23mph
I guess its more the reason to get the extended warranty.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Confirm if the extended warranty will cover shocks and struts. I know that the Acura extended warranty for the 19 MDX will not cover the shocks and struts in Canada.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update: Acura is sending an Engineer to take a look at the strut because "The failure isn't possible." The replacement part is coming in and should be here by June 2nd. This puts it just shy of the 30 day mark required for buy back. No big deal as I really like the vehicle. So far we have gotten a call pretty much everyday with updates and the dealership is really working hard to get us back on the road. I feel like they actually do care about us and that is nice having come from Ford.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Update: Acura is sending an Engineer to take a look at the strut because "The failure isn't possible." The replacement part is coming in and should be here by June 2nd. This puts it just shy of the 30 day mark required for buy back. No big deal as I really like the vehicle. So far we have gotten a call pretty much everyday with updates and the dealership is really working hard to get us back on the road. I feel like they actually do care about us and that is nice having come from Ford.
Always funny when engineers say "That isn't possible" but uhh... then they learn how it happened and go "Oh, I see". :ROFLMAO:

Glad they're keeping you in the loop and June 2nd is THAT far off I suppose.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update: The part was supposed to arrive on Saturday but I haven't heard anything from the dealership or Honda of America. We have had a loaner now and probably put as many miles on it as our actual car. Today is day 26 of it being in the shop. So we are getting very close to lemon law buyback. I really wish that the dealership had just offered to buy it back from the beginning but at this point it is just a waiting game. I mean I understand this isn't a huge innocence since we have a loaner car but it is a base model MDX. We paid for the best model and we are driving around in a vehicle that we passed on for the higher end trim. We should have gone with our first thought and gotten a Volvo, BWM, or Mercedes. They haven't offered anything else in the way of payments, just apologizes. At this point the brand is beginning to look pretty bad to me and I am not sure if I would ever like to return. I mean 75k for a vehicle, you think they would do everything in their power to fix the situation but instead we are still here 25 days later just waiting.

·
Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
278 Posts
Looking at this from the manufacturing side of things and the current lead times for simple things, I gotta tell you they are really hauling ass if they can fix this in around a month. It takes me 12 weeks to get raw materials right now.

That said, from a consumer/retail side of the equation it's unacceptable for a car to be out of commission for a month without parts available. Acura built too many cars with the parts they have and should have saved more parts for the replacement bucket.

61 - 80 of 155 Posts