Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-SPEC Liquid Carbon Metallic/Black Interior
109 Posts
At delivery I did a walk around to look for scratches but didn’t notice panel alignment. Heck it took me about three weeks of ownership to notice.

I wouldn’t have rejected it because of this. Maybe if they had another identical one on the lot at the time but not after waiting 2 months.

My 2018 Odyssey had horrible panel alignments (among other nagging issues) which I fixed by trading in for a 2021 where all the issues were fixed.
It's hard to notice these things when you are not expecting it. I never thought of checking if doors, hood, lift gate are not aligned, I've never seen that in any of the cars that I bought or leased! If I knew ahead of time, then I would've noticed all this crap. I'm sure others were the same boat as me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah I only looked at a few... but I kid you not, the first hit for "Lexus" was someone with a REALLY obvious defect on a TLX hood along with someone else saying something like "The Lexus factory I work at would be shut down if that ever left our plant".

The BMW and Audi examples seemed to fall into two categories:
  • Used cars where the used car dealer said "it's never been wrecked"... but well... let's be honest - it clearly had.
  • So incredibly minor that even with it circled it I really struggled to see it as a real problem. Like 0.5 - 1.0mm.
Again not trying to argue or say they don't exist, but the sampling I saw I didn't really see a lot of what I consider manufacture issues.

I have heard Tesla has really struggled with it and I did NOT search for those, but I FULLY believe you'll find worse there and probably a lot more of them. I was just surprised to see Acura with so many. My old 95 Integra GS-R despite being a salvage titled car lined up better than some of these new cars - that to me is disappointing and frankly surprising.
I've never seen such issue with BMW. I've been driving 5 & 7 series for two decades, never ever has since any quality issue. There are tones of videos on Youtube that shows how BMW inspects their vehicle at the end of the line for misalignment, possible scratches, emblem not properly places etc.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That's odd - I see tons of hits regardless of the manufacturer I plug in. The term 'egregious' is subjective though and I didn't exhaustively search through all the hits to check on the detailed circumstances. Tesla got a lot of bad press for body gap issues but again, I see hits for any manufacturer.

Well, that's just plain wrong for Acura to tell you that. There likely 'is' something they can do to align the doors. This is something body shops do all the time. It sounds like they were just blowing you off. Did you try taking it to a different dealership?

Almost all manufacturers have reliable engines nowadays for the majority of their vehicles so if that was the main criteria to consider a vehicle a viable candidate to purchase I could purchase from almost any manufacturer - this isn't something unique to Honda. They won't capture and retain the market relying on that line.

While there are multiple posts here about panel alignment issues on the MDX I think the majority are from the first model year of the gen (2014, 2022) and that 'most' owners do 'not' have panel alignment issues. That still doesn't speak well for Acura though in my mind because there sb 'no' panel issues in the first place, even on the first model year. Having a misaligned panel indicates at least three major areas that failed - the engineering design of the panels and how they go together, the actual assembly processes that somehow allowed panels to be misaligned on the build, and a quality control issue where a QC inspector (including both people and automation) didn't catch the panel, or worse, they caught it but management decided to ship it anyway. Of course there are more failures also such as the dealership not catching the misalignment and selling the vehicle anyway through either ignorance of not inspecting or disinterest in the issue and just focusing on making the sale.

So it comes down to - we know that Acuras and some other manufacturers 'do' sell some vehicles with the panel misalignments and it's especially likely to occur on a first model year so we as buyers need to do a good inspection if it's something we care about. I'll do that inspection regardless of whether it's an Acura, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Hyundai, Dodge, Ford, GM, Tesla, etc. since it's an area I care about.
I did take it to another dealer and got the same response that's why I complained to Acura Canada as I thought the dealer doesn't want to do it. I think I know what is going on, the dealers started to complain with the many vehicles that are coming in with these issues so Acura decided to push back on the clients.

This happened with me, one day I was picking the car from the dealer for other issues that we were and still experiencing. I see a truck full of MDXs being dropped off and a tech is having a cigarette I guess on his break. The first vehicle they brought out of the truck was a black MDX A-SPEC. The tech is walking around the car and feeling the gaps with his fingers :) So I looked at this guys and said, big gaps on this one as well? He said to me with frustration, this is one of the biggest issues we've been dealing with since Acura released the 2022...

So I guess you are one of the lucky ones that received a car within spec and not experiencing any issues with the infotainment and others that are mentioned on this forum!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I inspected my A spec when I bought it. Noticed a small dent a little less than 1/4 inch on the very front edge of the hood and I could see the bare metal in the dent and the upper rim of the front passager door looks not completely shut while it actually is when closed. The dealer said no new car is perfect. A little touch up paint for the dent and nothing done to the door and then I drove it away. I did not want to wait another 5 months. It is a seller's market sadly. But I think they do not bother me much now.
That's exactly what they are banking on, a hut market and if you don't want to pick it up someone else will. I'm the opposite, there is no way in hell I'm driving a brand new vehicle with a dent of deep scratches and for this moron to tell you "no new car is perfect"is unacceptable. That's why car manufactures has a QC program for this crap but I guess at Acura the letters QC don't belong in their book...

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
So I looked at this guys and said, big gaps on this one as well? He said to me with frustration, this is one of the biggest issues we've been dealing with since Acura released the 2022...

So I guess you are one of the lucky ones that received a car within spec and not experiencing any issues with the infotainment and others that are mentioned on this forum!
Just to be clear, and I try to be clear in my posts, I don't own a 2022 MDX but rather a 2014, so my experience is limited to that plus what people post here.

I've gleaned enough to not have so much faith in Acura or any other manufacturer to not inspect it well but I tend to be like that with many things - maybe not so trusting.

The 2022 MDX is a first model year with a new design and I know the manufacturer is dealing with a completely new mechanical design of many aspects of the vehicle including all body panels, new tooling and stampings, new configurations for the assembly robotics, a new infotainment system, etc. so I'd inspect with a greater degree of wariness than I would otherwise.

Again, I still think Acura has no excuses for this and the feedback/results you received from Acura Canada were unacceptable.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just to be clear, and I try to be clear in my posts, I don't own a 2022 MDX but rather a 2014, so my experience is limited to that plus what people post here.

I've gleaned enough to not have so much faith in Acura or any other manufacturer to not inspect it well but I tend to be like that with many things - maybe not so trusting.

The 2022 MDX is a first model year with a new design and I know the manufacturer is dealing with a completely new mechanical design of many aspects of the vehicle including all body panels, new tooling and stampings, new configurations for the assembly robotics, a new infotainment system, etc. so I'd inspect with a greater degree of wariness than I would otherwise.

Again, I still think Acura has no excuses for this and the feedback/results you received from Acura Canada were unacceptable.
I appreciate your input and honesty!

As an engineer who worked with automotive manufacturing for more than 18 years I can tell you that when a new model is ready to go to production, the assembly lines are setup and tested months before production avoid any quality or assembly issues. Typical first year production issues with any car manufacture might be mechanical and electronics failures but not body alignment... I don't know about Acura and how they build their cars but usually fenders, doors lift gates, hood are all assemble by people. The robots will bring the part but people will screw and bolt and then at the end of the line there would be individuals that inspect the final assembly. Maybe the workers at Acura are doing what the above video shows with Chrysler :D Pretty pathetic if you ask me... This is a company that is trying to compete with the big three Germans... This was one of issues that destroyed Nissan as they were the leading Japanese car company at one time, where are they now??? Hmm...

My issue is not just the misalignment, it's all the other crap that we are still experiencing, charger doesn't charge iPhone 13 Pro but the dealer says it works, the plastic frame/bracket around the buttons on the driver seat is holding by a thread, the coffee cup holders would pop as you are driving, the infotainment with it's on/off issues with navigation, going black and not coming back on until few hours or next day, the roof sunshade that does not open, etc etc etc and the best part, when you bring these issues to the dealer they only have one response everything is normal.... So now we started to tape things on video for the next service so I can show these dummies that we are not making this Sh*t up and the car is full with bugs and faults.

·
Registered
335 Posts
That's exactly what they are banking on, a hut market and if you don't want to pick it up someone else will. I'm the opposite, there is no way in hell I'm driving a brand new vehicle with a dent of deep scratches and for this moron to tell you "no new car is perfect"is unacceptable. That's why car manufactures has a QC program for this crap but I guess at Acura the letters QC don't belong in their book...
Yeah when I read that it got me really angry. "No new car is perfect" is the response to a visible dent that went down to bare friggin metal? When you are paying $60-70K??? (really even if you are paying $25K)

It's like spending $60 on a steak and having it burned and the waiter says "oh well, none of our steaks are actually cooked perfectly, sorry you got unlucky" and walking away. Fists getting raised

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
363 Posts
I appreciate your input and honesty!

As an engineer who worked with automotive manufacturing for more than 18 years I can tell you that when a new model is ready to go to production, the assembly lines are setup and tested months before production avoid any quality or assembly issues. Typical first year production issues with any car manufacture might be mechanical and electronics failures but not body alignment... I don't know about Acura and how they build their cars but usually fenders, doors lift gates, hood are all assemble by people. The robots will bring the part but people will screw and bolt and then at the end of the line there would be individuals that inspect the final assembly. Maybe the workers at Acura are doing what the above video shows with Chrysler :D Pretty pathetic if you ask me... This is a company that is trying to compete with the big three Germans... This was one of issues that destroyed Nissan as they were the leading Japanese car company at one time, where are they now??? Hmm...

My issue is not just the misalignment, it's all the other crap that we are still experiencing, charger doesn't charge iPhone 13 Pro but the dealer says it works, the plastic frame/bracket around the buttons on the driver seat is holding by a thread, the coffee cup holders would pop as you are driving, the infotainment with it's on/off issues with navigation, going black and not coming back on until few hours or next day, the roof sunshade that does not open, etc etc etc and the best part, when you bring these issues to the dealer they only have one response everything is normal.... So now we started to tape things on video for the next service so I can show these dummies that we are not making this Sh*t up and the car is full with bugs and faults.
The new infotainment update today (May 5) is supposed to fix quite a bit of the black screen issues. I would love to know if you’re still experiencing them after the update or if Acura just put that in there for the placebo affect.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
So...
#1 - Controller error - will take a bit to get to the controller as is buried inside the seat. Once they have access they can diagnose better (connection vs. controller)
#2 - may be working as designed, sensor much more right side-side biased. Still can't get it to work more than 5 out of 10 times. Will review later.

I decided to mention that the air-shock inflator at times shows on, either lowering or raising when in my garage and car just idling (even for 5 long minutes, dash indicator remains). That caused some concern as they've had one where the airbag leaks overnight (small leak) and then the pumps correct for it upon start-up. I didn't think it was a big deal, the dealer did and asked to keep it overnight and provided a loaner. Bummer.
All is good with airbags on the suspension, the system did not lose pressure overnight which was the concern.

New seat massage controller on order as it seems to be flaky. It worked for a bit once the tech messed with it but once the seat was back together failed again. (That controller is apparently buried in one of the side bolsters so may require the seat to be removed when replaced fwiw)
They are calling it a controller failure and replacing under warranty. 7-10 days supposedly for the part, I'm a bit skeptical it will be that fast but maybe...

With that said that is my first known failure of a Type S specific part. Thankfully something I do not use at the moment outside of demoing the feature to others..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention, I have a nice panel malignment on the right rear of the car. The right upper rear quarter panel doesn't sit as flush as the left rear quarter panel but there's no give. There's a similar malignment on the roof line compared to the left.

Definitely not going to mention it to the dealer--no way do I want them "trying" to fix it.

View attachment 120646
Very strange. Nothing lines up. Gap body/tail light is even way off. Almost as though it's been damaged and repaired by a moron.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention, I have a nice panel malignment on the right rear of the car. The right upper rear quarter panel doesn't sit as flush as the left rear quarter panel but there's no give. There's a similar malignment on the roof line compared to the left.

Definitely not going to mention it to the dealer--no way do I want them "trying" to fix it.

View attachment 120646

That would bug the heck out of me. I don't know how you sleep at night. Get that addressed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’ve noticed similar things when I use the online schedule tool at my dealership. Sometimes they have the “Loaner” option, other times they don’t. I played around with it last time and it’s definitely dependent on the type of service you’re selecting - at least with my dealership. Maybe just play around with the service you’re selecting. They should DEFINITELY have a loaner to give you…
Use same service writer. Last time my MDX was in for belt etc. "none available". Then he said let me go inside. Came back and had gotten approval for a new (27 miles) demo red new MDX. Establish repour with selected people in a dealership. They do make exceptions for the "right" customers. My wife has a Lexus and she always has the option of a loaner. They proactively ask if she wants one when she books service.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Use same service writer. Last time my MDX was in for belt etc. "none available". Then he said let me go inside. Came back and had gotten approval for a new (27 miles) demo red new MDX. Establish repour with selected people in a dealership. They do make exceptions for the "right" customers. My wife has a Lexus and she always has the option of a loaner. They proactively ask if she wants one when she books service.
Ah that's a new one for me in the ol' internet forums spelling gripes....

Rapport Rapport Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

Establishing "repour" would have something to do with....pouring....or something :unsure:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Gotta love teething pains. We appreciate you taking the time to update the thread!

For what it’s worth, I’ve read plenty about how unreliable the kick sensor is on the liftgate. It’s actually like 1 of 3 accessories I didn’t put on my A-Spec. I had it on my 2020 CX-9, while it worked well, I think I used it functionally all of 5 times in 2 years. Every other time it was just me and my daughter playing with it because she thought it was neat.
Chazzy J, Me too, on my Advance, I think I used the Kick Tailgate 1 or 2X . It doesn't respond too well. Actually, it is silly but, this is what the car makers "think" are Luxurious items that Americans require. If I have a cart full of Groceries (man, whatta an expense that is now), I just use my Key Fob or for fun, actually push the button on the tailgate :). Which reminds me of one thing I am disapointed with compard to my 2019 MDX. The rear cargo cover which covers the "hidden" lower compartment (A sunken living Room), when raised, comes off very easily. In the 2019, it was attached with hinges (for the lack of a better description) that allowed the raised cover to stay in place in the semi or fully raised position. It was great for putting in groceries or such - that was nice feature Acura took away.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Maybe these guys are at Honda too?

Very Good Brian.... It is because of this that the Japanese started using Robots to build cars !! And that's many years ago. Made in the USA isn't what it used to be for a long, long time. Without getting into repeating a story I posted elsewhere on the forum (different Thread), suffice it to say, that in the 70s (+/-) you could specify a certain Build day for your new car order. One would Specify with the Dealer , No Car Built on a Monday or Friday which were the 2 worst days because of absentism from drinking, drugs, mental health days. So Car makers' line managers would need to move certin workers from regular installation duties to fill in to other jobs on the line. I. E., the front bumper guy would put the dashboard in, etc. The Japanese changed Everything pertaining to manufacturing of Cars (they made them far better), TVs, Radios, Stereos, and much more. They embarassed the American workers. The story does continue as the Japanese, Germans, and more eventually opened Plants in the US BUT insisted on Their Work Rules including the unions. From this video.... it looks like we are returning to the old Ways.
Just as a reference (I'm 70 yo ), to my recollection, in 1970s,+/- , the average cost of labor (wages, sick time, medical, vacation, etc) came to about $38 per hour for Auto workers. That was FAR greater than the average for others.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've never seen such issue with BMW. I've been driving 5 & 7 series for two decades, never ever has since any quality issue. There are tones of videos on Youtube that shows how BMW inspects their vehicle at the end of the line for misalignment, possible scratches, emblem not properly places etc.
Moopai, that is probably so concerning BMX , Audi, MB, etc. But that's why thiose cars were and still are about $10K more than Japenese Luxury competitors. I've never owned (or leased) a German car. Driven them (the Audi A6 in 2013 I test drove, Knocked My Socks Off - but too expensive for me), and had outstanding handling characteristics. I may be talking out of my ass, but just based on comparisons from associates who owned various German cars, many had "Bugs" with certain components (many were electronic related - VW was notorious for those problems). I can say that over the past 35 years, I've leased or purchased Japanese cars, except on a few occassions (1988 Pontiac Bonneville SSE which was a very good car, 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix SSE, which was a POS with rattles and poor workmanship). Mitsubnishis, Nissans, Infinitis, Hondas, and now Acura. When the Japanese cars were truly made in Japan, i never had a Problem for the most part. If the VIN had a "J" as the first letter - then it was made in Japan. My last 2 Acuras (2019 MDX traded in ) and the new 2022 MDX were assembled in the USA . Thus far - no problems with fit and finish.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts