Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
459 Posts
Ok, you folks talked me into it.... Monday appointment. Will update.

Bummer that the service scheduling (I have 2 dealers near me) makes you pick from "I'll wait", "I have a ride" or "request Uber"... what the eff!!! I want a loaner I know they have them. cmon now... $72k.... I was getting loaners on my 16 year old Audi without having to call.
I’ve noticed similar things when I use the online schedule tool at my dealership. Sometimes they have the “Loaner” option, other times they don’t. I played around with it last time and it’s definitely dependent on the type of service you’re selecting - at least with my dealership. Maybe just play around with the service you’re selecting. They should DEFINITELY have a loaner to give you…

·
Registered
459 Posts
Loaners are still available but much more rare in todays car market. If you schedule far enough out they should get you a loaner. Since this issue didn’t bother you that much I would schedule for when they can promise a loaner even if a few weeks out.

I’ve had two glitches that I won’t even call issues:
1. Head up display didn’t work one time for a 30 minute drive (never came on) but has been fine since.

2. One day after the car had been parked for a few hours, I went to the garage and heard the air suspension making continuous noise. The car wasn’t moving. I turned on accessory mode and no error messages and the noise stopped.

This probably isn’t an issue but connecting CarPlay with a wire is annoying as I often have to unplug and replug a few times to get it to work and then I have to unlock the phone to get Waze up. I know wireless can work without unlocking but I like the audio quality with a wired connection.

On my odyssey it turns on fine if it stays plugged in and I don’t need to unlock the phone.
While I have an A-Spec, I too use the wired method (so I don’t have the Bluetooth lag in audio controls) and I have no issues - connects the first time every time. So if it’s of any hope to you, might be software related that can be fixed in a future update with the Type S software

·
Registered
459 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention, I have a nice panel malignment on the right rear of the car. The right upper rear quarter panel doesn't sit as flush as the left rear quarter panel but there's no give. There's a similar malignment on the roof line compared to the left.

Definitely not going to mention it to the dealer--no way do I want them "trying" to fix it.

View attachment 120646

Man, these panel misalignments by Acura are just criminal. This just happens way too often…you’d think they hung these panels by hand…

I had the same issue with my rear driver’s side door. It was an easy enough fix. The wife’s TLX drivers door doesn’t latch 100% of the time and appears to be hung about a 1/4 inch too low - so I’ve still gotta fix that. I’ve made it a point that when I get loaners to check panels alignments on them too. I’m shocked at how many have panels that aren’t aligned right.

·
Registered
459 Posts
brian_tii, thanks! Found the setting and hopefully will fix the unlock issue at least.

Yes the alignment is annoying but I’ll live with it for now. I fear the dealer scratching the paint if I ask them to fix it. I’ve noticed some noise from the back when driving that sounds like the air suspension. I’m trying to figure out exactly when it happens but no error messages or other issues.
You are a better man than I sir! I try to fix what I can when I can, but that is going to require a bodyshop at best that has the experience in hanging a liftgate. The plus side is that it absolutely can be fixed - it’s not one of those issues that can’t be rectified. So whenever you’re ready, I’d take it to a few body shops, see which ones you’re comfortable with realigning it, and then work with the dealership to have them (Acura) foot the bill.

Easier said than done, but if I just spent $74k on a Type S, I’m gonna be finicky…

·
Registered
459 Posts
So...
#1 - Controller error - will take a bit to get to the controller as is buried inside the seat. Once they have access they can diagnose better (connection vs. controller)
#2 - may be working as designed, sensor much more right side-side biased. Still can't get it to work more than 5 out of 10 times. Will review later.

I decided to mention that the air-shock inflator at times shows on, either lowering or raising when in my garage and car just idling (even for 5 long minutes, dash indicator remains). That caused some concern as they've had one where the airbag leaks overnight (small leak) and then the pumps correct for it upon start-up. I didn't think it was a big deal, the dealer did and asked to keep it overnight and provided a loaner. Bummer.
Gotta love teething pains. We appreciate you taking the time to update the thread!

For what it’s worth, I’ve read plenty about how unreliable the kick sensor is on the liftgate. It’s actually like 1 of 3 accessories I didn’t put on my A-Spec. I had it on my 2020 CX-9, while it worked well, I think I used it functionally all of 5 times in 2 years. Every other time it was just me and my daughter playing with it because she thought it was neat.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just don’t understand the alignment issues. I swear I don’t recall seeing this stuff on base model Nissans, much less a 50k+ premium car. It just doesn’t really make sense to me.
^^ This. This just isn’t a thing these days with robots and lasers and all that good Jazz. CAD and stuff like that has this down to an exact science.

I don’t know what Acura’s methodology is for hanging panels. But it ain’t working well - that’s for sure

I love my MDX, but man, seeing the challenges some of these members have really just makes me shake my head - come on Acura…you have some beautiful products. These are silly things that ruin one’s reputation

·
Registered
459 Posts
I mean, at the end of the day there are vehicles that make it out of the factory that check all the QA boxes. It’s just disappointing to see Acura take the brand in a desirable direction but forgets about the little stuff (which honestly, after a deep dive on this subject, it looks like this has been a problem for quite a few years). I would honestly be singing Acura’s praises if it wasn’t for the little stuff like this, but their QA is just too inconsistent.

There are some of us who were big on car culture back in the 90s and 00s. Like, it was a real thing and I met some fantastic people who shared similar likes. Acura is attempting to recapture some of that with the beauty of the new MDX and TLX (and now the Integra). Like if there’s a brand that “speaks to me” right now, it’s Acura with what they’re attempting to do - I love it. And while the overall majority of buyers will not be part of what was once car culture, there is still a subset like myself that want see those glory days return (they won’t, I know). But car culture folks expect solid QA on cars they’re buying because they’re the picky ones.

Just my two cents…

·
Registered
459 Posts
I mean, look at those pics on this TLX Type S - atrocious. The guys door and deck lid.

Like I said, the wife’s ‘22 TLX Advance needs the drivers door brought up a 1/4 inch to latch correctly without excessive force. Her hood is shifted to the left too, but she doesn’t care. Again, my wife is a perfect example. Doesn’t care about her door latching with excessive force, or her hood being misaligned. She’s just thrilled her car is phantom purple and her interior lights up purple. These are the people Acura hopes for so they don’t have to retool for exact alignment lol

·
Registered
459 Posts
I appreciate your input and honesty!

As an engineer who worked with automotive manufacturing for more than 18 years I can tell you that when a new model is ready to go to production, the assembly lines are setup and tested months before production avoid any quality or assembly issues. Typical first year production issues with any car manufacture might be mechanical and electronics failures but not body alignment... I don't know about Acura and how they build their cars but usually fenders, doors lift gates, hood are all assemble by people. The robots will bring the part but people will screw and bolt and then at the end of the line there would be individuals that inspect the final assembly. Maybe the workers at Acura are doing what the above video shows with Chrysler :D Pretty pathetic if you ask me... This is a company that is trying to compete with the big three Germans... This was one of issues that destroyed Nissan as they were the leading Japanese car company at one time, where are they now??? Hmm...

My issue is not just the misalignment, it's all the other crap that we are still experiencing, charger doesn't charge iPhone 13 Pro but the dealer says it works, the plastic frame/bracket around the buttons on the driver seat is holding by a thread, the coffee cup holders would pop as you are driving, the infotainment with it's on/off issues with navigation, going black and not coming back on until few hours or next day, the roof sunshade that does not open, etc etc etc and the best part, when you bring these issues to the dealer they only have one response everything is normal.... So now we started to tape things on video for the next service so I can show these dummies that we are not making this Sh*t up and the car is full with bugs and faults.
The new infotainment update today (May 5) is supposed to fix quite a bit of the black screen issues. I would love to know if you’re still experiencing them after the update or if Acura just put that in there for the placebo affect.

·
Registered
459 Posts
@Pikens

Wow man, just wow. You have every right to want to light that car on fire and never own Honda again. Honda/Acura is far from perfect. I’ve sadly resigned to the thought in my head, “If you get a good one that has no issues, high five - good for you. If you get one where something breaks, good luck.“

It’s a beautiful car, and honestly, while this has turned into a nightmare on a very expensive car, it will EVENTUALLY be fixed. Once it’s fixed and the sting of this whole fiasco goes away, I’m sure you’ll be able to sit back and say “worth it“. That Type S Adv is one hell of a car.

Rest assured, you’re not alone on these boards with having a terrible experience. The customer experience on a faulty vehicle is something Honda/Acura really needs to address, but they won’t. It’s a shame.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Final Update(Hopefully): We picked up the car yesterday morning after the part arrived and the service center fixed it. I have trips enabled in the Acura app and our mechanic had a lot of fun on our car. I'm not too upset about it since it is designed to be driven hard and my wife will rarely drive it hard. I did make them aware that I could see they drove it harder than necessary. Besides that the Type S seems to be working fine. The air ride is adjusting fine and the ride is just as smooth as ever. I did feel a little shimmy when my wife was lightly braking but it could be from sitting for over a month. I will keep an eye on everything and ensure it is working properly. After getting my new case manager everything has gone much smoother. They offered 2 months of payments and we accepted. Mostly because, as many of you have stated, cars are in short supply right now and we couldn't really find better alternatives. There is also a reason we bought this car. After driving it for about 15 minutes my wife was very happy. She had missed that amazing sound system, power, and ride comfort. Since the wife is happy I am happy. Thank you to everyone in this group for helping us through this rough time. If you need help with anything Honda related, with your vehicle sitting in the service center forever, feel free to DM me. I have the good contacts now and I can share them around. I don't want to post them publicly as the contact would likely get overused.

Feel free to ask any questions.
That is fantastic news my friend! Biggest thing to come out of this (other than the car getting fixed) are the contacts you made and movement you got. So many people are running into brick walls with some of this stuff. Thank you for your willingness to share your success with the group here. Wishing you no further troubles and that you guys fall in love with that Type S all over again - it is one hell of a ride!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts