Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Gotta love teething pains. We appreciate you taking the time to update the thread!

For what it’s worth, I’ve read plenty about how unreliable the kick sensor is on the liftgate. It’s actually like 1 of 3 accessories I didn’t put on my A-Spec. I had it on my 2020 CX-9, while it worked well, I think I used it functionally all of 5 times in 2 years. Every other time it was just me and my daughter playing with it because she thought it was neat.
Chazzy J, Me too, on my Advance, I think I used the Kick Tailgate 1 or 2X . It doesn't respond too well. Actually, it is silly but, this is what the car makers "think" are Luxurious items that Americans require. If I have a cart full of Groceries (man, whatta an expense that is now), I just use my Key Fob or for fun, actually push the button on the tailgate :). Which reminds me of one thing I am disapointed with compard to my 2019 MDX. The rear cargo cover which covers the "hidden" lower compartment (A sunken living Room), when raised, comes off very easily. In the 2019, it was attached with hinges (for the lack of a better description) that allowed the raised cover to stay in place in the semi or fully raised position. It was great for putting in groceries or such - that was nice feature Acura took away.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Maybe these guys are at Honda too?

Very Good Brian.... It is because of this that the Japanese started using Robots to build cars !! And that's many years ago. Made in the USA isn't what it used to be for a long, long time. Without getting into repeating a story I posted elsewhere on the forum (different Thread), suffice it to say, that in the 70s (+/-) you could specify a certain Build day for your new car order. One would Specify with the Dealer , No Car Built on a Monday or Friday which were the 2 worst days because of absentism from drinking, drugs, mental health days. So Car makers' line managers would need to move certin workers from regular installation duties to fill in to other jobs on the line. I. E., the front bumper guy would put the dashboard in, etc. The Japanese changed Everything pertaining to manufacturing of Cars (they made them far better), TVs, Radios, Stereos, and much more. They embarassed the American workers. The story does continue as the Japanese, Germans, and more eventually opened Plants in the US BUT insisted on Their Work Rules including the unions. From this video.... it looks like we are returning to the old Ways.
Just as a reference (I'm 70 yo ), to my recollection, in 1970s,+/- , the average cost of labor (wages, sick time, medical, vacation, etc) came to about $38 per hour for Auto workers. That was FAR greater than the average for others.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've never seen such issue with BMW. I've been driving 5 & 7 series for two decades, never ever has since any quality issue. There are tones of videos on Youtube that shows how BMW inspects their vehicle at the end of the line for misalignment, possible scratches, emblem not properly places etc.
Moopai, that is probably so concerning BMX , Audi, MB, etc. But that's why thiose cars were and still are about $10K more than Japenese Luxury competitors. I've never owned (or leased) a German car. Driven them (the Audi A6 in 2013 I test drove, Knocked My Socks Off - but too expensive for me), and had outstanding handling characteristics. I may be talking out of my ass, but just based on comparisons from associates who owned various German cars, many had "Bugs" with certain components (many were electronic related - VW was notorious for those problems). I can say that over the past 35 years, I've leased or purchased Japanese cars, except on a few occassions (1988 Pontiac Bonneville SSE which was a very good car, 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix SSE, which was a POS with rattles and poor workmanship). Mitsubnishis, Nissans, Infinitis, Hondas, and now Acura. When the Japanese cars were truly made in Japan, i never had a Problem for the most part. If the VIN had a "J" as the first letter - then it was made in Japan. My last 2 Acuras (2019 MDX traded in ) and the new 2022 MDX were assembled in the USA . Thus far - no problems with fit and finish.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Actually...,

they are upgrading that feature to the 2023 version for my troubles, which apparently will have a few extra settings and include an ashtray for later. Ashtray's will be making a comeback I predict!
Yeah, Probably to hold the "roaches" everyone will be Smoking !! No Cigarettes, but Weed is Ok.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks for the self assurance that’s intended for the car to do that. The only reason I start the car and get out is because I need to start the car to run the AC and then put the kids in the car seats. Have 2 year olds so I want the car to be cooling down as I get them inside the car.
So I’ll have to get used to that beeping sound. :)
Zero, I guess you don't have Remote Start?? I never had that feature until I had it on my 2013 & 2016 Infinitis (the M and the QX60 respectively) and then on my 2019 MDX and now on the 2022 MDX. The old expression says...."Once You Have Steak, It's Hard To Go Back To Have Hamburger". Very handy "TOY" in Summer and Winter. In winter (or colder temps below 40ish) the RS turns on the Heated Steering wheel, the rear defroster / and heated mirrors, and if equipped the front windshield de-icer, as well as the Heat/AC in the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts