Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see a Type S specific problems thread so thought I would start one.

Picked mine up in March, not sure of actual build date but probably late February 2022.

Two problems so far, not a huge deal and will await first service as I am only < 350 miles in.

1 - Drivers side massage seat stopped working. The infotainment display thinks it is on, but the button blinks for a second and turns off right away. Seat does not massage and I cannot turn off on the infotainment display (takes no inputs for massage function). Funny as I never used the massage except to demo to friends as a novelty. Passenger side works fine (also very limited use, maybe twice for a few minutes by wifey).

2 - Kick sensor rear hatch. Stopped working to open or close hatch. It was never super reliable but I thought it was my poor kick form.

Thats it so far, otherwise love it and those two items don't really bother me enough to get to a dealer just yet.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S
77 Posts
Build date is in "MM/YY" on a sticker/placard on driver side door jamb

Can't help with your issues but they seem to be "electronic" in nature

If you have a decent scanner, these are the DTC's that may come up regarding the seat massage...

B181A Driver's Massage Seat Control Unit error
B181B Driver's Massage Seat Control Unit internal (EEPROM) error
B181C Driver's Massage Seat Pump Failure

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I wouldn't wait for the 1st service because that should be around 8500-9500 miles on the odo. It might be simple fix for both issues and Acura "should" give a loaner if it need to be in shop for more than a day.

Reactions: Sal And

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I wouldn't wait for the 1st service because that should be around 8500-9500 miles on the odo. It might be simple fix for both issues and Acura "should" give a loaner if it need to be in shop for more than a day.
I agree. The first service could be a long time from now. I'd take it in closer to now rather than months from now and have them check it out. You might discover it's simply cables that have come undone and need to be reconnected (seat or tailgate), or that a sensor position or latch needs to be adjusted (tailgate), or that there's a failed part that'll take them a couple of months to get in so that lead time process may as well get started sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, you folks talked me into it.... Monday appointment. Will update.

Bummer that the service scheduling (I have 2 dealers near me) makes you pick from "I'll wait", "I have a ride" or "request Uber"... what the eff!!! I want a loaner I know they have them. cmon now... $72k.... I was getting loaners on my 16 year old Audi without having to call.

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
379 Posts
Ok, you folks talked me into it.... Monday appointment. Will update.

Bummer that the service scheduling (I have 2 dealers near me) makes you pick from "I'll wait", "I have a ride" or "request Uber"... what the eff!!! I want a loaner I know they have them. cmon now... $72k.... I was getting loaners on my 16 year old Audi without having to call.
I’ve noticed similar things when I use the online schedule tool at my dealership. Sometimes they have the “Loaner” option, other times they don’t. I played around with it last time and it’s definitely dependent on the type of service you’re selecting - at least with my dealership. Maybe just play around with the service you’re selecting. They should DEFINITELY have a loaner to give you…

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Loaners are still available but much more rare in todays car market. If you schedule far enough out they should get you a loaner. Since this issue didn’t bother you that much I would schedule for when they can promise a loaner even if a few weeks out.

I’ve had two glitches that I won’t even call issues:
1. Head up display didn’t work one time for a 30 minute drive (never came on) but has been fine since.

2. One day after the car had been parked for a few hours, I went to the garage and heard the air suspension making continuous noise. The car wasn’t moving. I turned on accessory mode and no error messages and the noise stopped.

This probably isn’t an issue but connecting CarPlay with a wire is annoying as I often have to unplug and replug a few times to get it to work and then I have to unlock the phone to get Waze up. I know wireless can work without unlocking but I like the audio quality with a wired connection.

On my odyssey it turns on fine if it stays plugged in and I don’t need to unlock the phone.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Loaners are still available but much more rare in todays car market. If you schedule far enough out they should get you a loaner. Since this issue didn’t bother you that much I would schedule for when they can promise a loaner even if a few weeks out.

I’ve had two glitches that I won’t even call issues:
1. Head up display didn’t work one time for a 30 minute drive (never came on) but has been fine since.

2. One day after the car had been parked for a few hours, I went to the garage and heard the air suspension making continuous noise. The car wasn’t moving. I turned on accessory mode and no error messages and the noise stopped.

This probably isn’t an issue but connecting CarPlay with a wire is annoying as I often have to unplug and replug a few times to get it to work and then I have to unlock the phone to get Waze up. I know wireless can work without unlocking but I like the audio quality with a wired connection.

On my odyssey it turns on fine if it stays plugged in and I don’t need to unlock the phone.
While I have an A-Spec, I too use the wired method (so I don’t have the Bluetooth lag in audio controls) and I have no issues - connects the first time every time. So if it’s of any hope to you, might be software related that can be fixed in a future update with the Type S software

·
Registered
165 Posts
I’ve had my TypeS for about 3 weeks. I just noticed a faint rapid clicking sound when turning to the left. It doesn’t make the sound when turning to the right. Not a huge deal but I’ll mention it when I go for service….unless it gets worse. I also noticed the sunroof sits a bit higher on the driver‘s side when compared to the passenger side. It’s not a huge difference but it is noticeable. If I hadn’t waxed it last weekend, I probably wouldn’t have noticed.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention, I have a nice panel malignment on the right rear of the car. The right upper rear quarter panel doesn't sit as flush as the left rear quarter panel but there's no give. There's a similar malignment on the roof line compared to the left.

Definitely not going to mention it to the dealer--no way do I want them "trying" to fix it.

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, I forgot to mention, I have a nice panel malignment on the right rear of the car. The right upper rear quarter panel doesn't sit as flush as the left rear quarter panel but there's no give. There's a similar malignment on the roof line compared to the left.

Definitely not going to mention it to the dealer--no way do I want them "trying" to fix it.
Oh my... made me run out to the garage and check my liquid carbon.

mine seems aligned, also per earlier post sunroof seems ok and no seat bulge at this time and low mileage. Need to remember to check for clicking sound when cranking left.

I came to the belief that we should report everything. maybe ask the dealer service not to touch it, but still report it. Will help others as the factory compensates and tweaks processes in ongoing production or for MY23, as well as helping id and improve parts for our future needs... (Like when someone elses massaging seat fails in a few years, maybe the doohickey replacement part will be more solid).

·
Registered
379 Posts

View attachment 120646

Man, these panel misalignments by Acura are just criminal. This just happens way too often…you’d think they hung these panels by hand…

I had the same issue with my rear driver’s side door. It was an easy enough fix. The wife’s TLX drivers door doesn’t latch 100% of the time and appears to be hung about a 1/4 inch too low - so I’ve still gotta fix that. I’ve made it a point that when I get loaners to check panels alignments on them too. I’m shocked at how many have panels that aren’t aligned right.

·
Registered
498 Posts

On your iPhone try Settings -> General -> CarPlay -> Acura Whatever -> Then make sure “Allow CarPlay” while locked is checked.

If that doesn’t work, maybe look at FaceID and Passcode and Allow access when locked to USB Accessories.

View attachment 120646
Thats remarkably misaligned! Wow. It’s like they didn’t even try. Weird.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Man, these panel misalignments by Acura are just criminal. This just happens way too often…you’d they hung these panels by hand…

I had the same issue with my rear driver’s side door. It was an easy enough fix. The wife’s TLX drivers door doesn’t latch 100% of the time and appears to be hung about a 1/4 inch too low - so I’ve still gotta fix that. I’ve made it a point that when I get loaners to check panels alignments on them too. I’m shocked at how many have panels that aren’t aligned right.
I have had creaky panels below front dash board for years on my 2014 MDX. Dealer was able to fit panels better and it was quiet for about a year but then it started up again. It almost sounds like a wooden ship in the wind. Happens when I brake at low speeds or begin to accelerate from a stop. The car has been so reliable and trouble free and Acura seems to have issues with panels so I live with it but it surprises me that so many owners have had these types of issues. I have driven many loaner MDXs over the years that have also had creaks in different places. It is weird because my 2021 Honda CR-V does not seem to have any of these creaky panels, but the car is not as quiet so who knows. And my left rear passenger door has never fit well either so this has been a long tradition for Acura.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
brian_tii, thanks! Found the setting and hopefully will fix the unlock issue at least.

Yes the alignment is annoying but I’ll live with it for now. I fear the dealer scratching the paint if I ask them to fix it. I’ve noticed some noise from the back when driving that sounds like the air suspension. I’m trying to figure out exactly when it happens but no error messages or other issues.

Reactions: brian_tii

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yes the alignment is annoying but I’ll live with it for now. I fear the dealer scratching the paint if I ask them to fix it. I’ve noticed some noise from the back when driving that sounds like the air suspension. I’m trying to figure out exactly when it happens but no error messages or other issues.
I don’t blame you on the concerns with the dealer. I’d be worried about what they might try to do to fix it. I’m guesing the hatch may need shimming at the top, but that may set off a cascade of other adjustments required and may just make things worse.

·
Registered
379 Posts
brian_tii, thanks! Found the setting and hopefully will fix the unlock issue at least.

You are a better man than I sir! I try to fix what I can when I can, but that is going to require a bodyshop at best that has the experience in hanging a liftgate. The plus side is that it absolutely can be fixed - it’s not one of those issues that can’t be rectified. So whenever you’re ready, I’d take it to a few body shops, see which ones you’re comfortable with realigning it, and then work with the dealership to have them (Acura) foot the bill.

Easier said than done, but if I just spent $74k on a Type S, I’m gonna be finicky…

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - Drivers side massage seat stopped working. The infotainment display thinks it is on, but the button blinks for a second and turns off right away. Seat does not massage and I cannot turn off on the infotainment display (takes no inputs for massage function). Funny as I never used the massage except to demo to friends as a novelty. Passenger side works fine (also very limited use, maybe twice for a few minutes by wifey).

2 - Kick sensor rear hatch. Stopped working to open or close hatch. It was never super reliable but I thought it was my poor kick form.
So...
#1 - Controller error - will take a bit to get to the controller as is buried inside the seat. Once they have access they can diagnose better (connection vs. controller)
#2 - may be working as designed, sensor much more right side-side biased. Still can't get it to work more than 5 out of 10 times. Will review later.

I decided to mention that the air-shock inflator at times shows on, either lowering or raising when in my garage and car just idling (even for 5 long minutes, dash indicator remains). That caused some concern as they've had one where the airbag leaks overnight (small leak) and then the pumps correct for it upon start-up. I didn't think it was a big deal, the dealer did and asked to keep it overnight and provided a loaner. Bummer.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
You are a better man than I sir! I try to fix what I can when I can, but that is going to require a bodyshop at best that has the experience in hanging a liftgate. The plus side is that it absolutely can be fixed - it’s not one of those issues that can’t be rectified. So whenever you’re ready, I’d take it to a few body shops, see which ones you’re comfortable with realigning it, and then work with the dealership to have them (Acura) foot the bill.

Easier said than done, but if I just spent $74k on a Type S, I’m gonna be finicky…
I can’t imagine a dealer that is connected with a body shop is going to let you shop around a warranty repair. And then Acura is going to pay for it.
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts