Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wish the new Honda Pilot would just come out so I can just get that one haha, rather than having to pay up so much for the "luxxxxxuuuuuuurrrrrrryyyyyyyyy" touches that come in the Acura level. The exterior of the new MDX is just so much better (IMO) than the recent generations, that is what has me smitten and willing to consider paying the extra freight for Acura vs Honda.
I hear you regarding the MDX styling. Exterior wise it's my favorite of all them - especially in the Apex Blue. I don't like the current Pilot styling - I'm hoping they pull a "Pathfinder" and get their styling fixed for the 4th gen Pilot.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I hear you regarding the MDX styling. Exterior wise it's my favorite of all them - especially in the Apex Blue. I don't like the current Pilot styling - I'm hoping they pull a "Pathfinder" and get their styling fixed for the 4th gen Pilot.
Agree - A few years back I was considering getting a Pilot, but at this point it is too dated/rounded/quasi-minivan for me. If they could create something that had a similar shape as the MDX, maybe a little larger and boxier is okay, then it would be a good thing. And please no strange headlight configurations like on the Palisade/Telluride (and I think Pathfinder)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I suspect regular X5 will probably keep up with or outrun the Type S. Also I was not very impressed with the Acura fit and finish. Things like the screw under the palm rest that's pretty obvious when you actually start using it, or the USB ports that pop up but aren't really damped very well or anything. Lots of piano black plastic that didn't seem very high end. I agree BMW does use more plastics than I'd like but generally the stuff is pretty rock solid feeling. Overall I'd call it a draw, though I'd probably give the SLIGHT nod to the BMW. I've been in both and thought the BMW felt better put together. Mercedes is a clear win on interiors IMHO.

I really don't know for the neighbors if one brand is more impressive than the other, but I do know BMW does get the driving dynamics nailed more often than not. Also reliability - my money would be on the B58 and the ZF8 speed over this latest Honda turbo V6 & Honda 10 speed for longevity. I suspect the BMW drive train will leak oil but will run for 200k miles. I'm not nearly as convinced of that for the Honda - ESPECIALLY the transmission.
I have the 10 speed transmission in our Honda Odyssey Elite and we haven't had a problem in 50,000miles and 4 years.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Agree - A few years back I was considering getting a Pilot, but at this point it is too dated/rounded/quasi-minivan for me. If they could create something that had a similar shape as the MDX, maybe a little larger and boxier is okay, then it would be a good thing. And please no strange headlight configurations like on the Palisade/Telluride (and I think Pathfinder)
Yes! Couldn't agree more. I also don't like of some these "spaceship" design language that have been so prevalent on the Japanese and Korean offerings. The last gen Civic being a prime example... how many fake vents does an economy car need?

I have the 10 speed transmission in our Honda Odyssey Elite and we haven't had a problem in 50,000miles and 4 years.
Yeah - I suppose. Thus far though there have been more failures than you'd hope / expect on these forums AND Acura is just putting more power through it now with the Type S. Historically Honda hasn't exactly been the best at FWD transmissions. Contrast that to the ZF8 speed which is used in applications reliably producing twice as much HP and torque. Just saying I think the ZF8 is way overbuilt. I suspect that's not (as) true with the Honda 10.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts