Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing one of these things - although my dealer is telling me they are already sold out for the first batch. I hope they at least get one model on the showroom floor. Am looking at the type S or the SQ8 - very different vehicles but I really never use my 3rd row and wouldn't mind something a little smaller. Would love to be able to see them in person and drive them - but so far no luck at any dealers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing one of these things - although my dealer is telling me they are already sold out for the first batch. I hope they at least get one model on the showroom floor. Am looking at the type S or the SQ8 - very different vehicles but I really never use my 3rd row and wouldn't mind something a little smaller. Would love to be able to see them in person and drive them - but so far no luck at any dealers.
If you don't care about the 3rd row and would consider smaller then try a GLC43 and the SQ5.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've been thinking about upgrading my Q7 Prestige with V8 power, so I've tested the SQ7 as well as the SQ8. Both seem to be about the same size, but the SQ8 (with 5 seats) definitely feels like the smaller of the two. My Q is no slouch performance-wise but both the SQ7 and SQ8 are amazing (although not in the same league as the RS Q8)! Since my dealer is very anxious to get some lightly used (2 years old, 15K mileage) inventory, it looks like I would be able to swing a great deal on the SQ8. Unfortunately, given that my current Q likes to cruise at 80+ without some serious oversight by me, I probably will be opting for the SQ8 with the optional "tickets" feature ticked. :ROFLMAO:. It will make a nice stablemate for my bride's 2020 MDX Advance.

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,290 Posts
Per my dealer they should get their MDX Type S sometime in the 1st week of January.
According to Acura's website, checking inventory on dealer lots and in transit, there are exactly zero MDX Type S vehicles in showrooms in the Chicago area. So I'm guessing they haven't begun shipping yet.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've been thinking about upgrading my Q7 Prestige with V8 power, so I've tested the SQ7 as well as the SQ8. Both seem to be about the same size, but the SQ8 (with 5 seats) definitely feels like the smaller of the two. My Q is no slouch performance-wise but both the SQ7 and SQ8 are amazing (although not in the same league as the RS Q8)! Since my dealer is very anxious to get some lightly used (2 years old, 15K mileage) inventory, it looks like I would be able to swing a great deal on the SQ8. Unfortunately, given that my current Q likes to cruise at 80+ without some serious oversight by me, I probably will be opting for the SQ8 with the optional "tickets" feature ticked. :ROFLMAO:. It will make a nice stablemate for my bride's 2020 MDX Advance.
Ohhh… the SQ8 I could see actually being fun. A lot of fun.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
According to Acura's website, checking inventory on dealer lots and in transit, there are exactly zero MDX Type S vehicles in showrooms in the Chicago area. So I'm guessing they haven't begun shipping yet.
This guy is saying what I heard.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Received clarification from dealer the build date for their demonstrator is 1/1-15 so mid month at the earliest.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Aspec / 2019 Ridgeline Sport / 2007 335i Coupe
54 Posts
Wow almost $74,000 for the top model type s seems to be reaching a bit for acura. Just checked and an X3M is between $69,000 and $75,000 while the X3M has 473HP and it’s fit and finish seems to be much better . Even a lightly enhanced X5 with a 40i series engine would most likely outperform the MDX with only 335HP to the MDX’s 355HP.

The only thing I could see is that somehow , someway, the car will hold its value better than a BMW but probably not by much in a normal (non chip shortage) environment.

My opinion comes from actually being a BMW fan and choosing the MDX over a regular X3 40i with /M package.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow almost $74,000 for the top model type s seems to be reaching a bit for acura. Just checked and an X3M is between $69,000 and $75,000 while the X3M has 473HP and it’s fit and finish seems to be much better . Even a lightly enhanced X5 with a 40i series engine would most likely outperform the MDX with only 335HP to the MDX’s 355HP.

The only thing I could see is that somehow , someway, the car will hold its value better than a BMW but probably not by much in a normal (non chip shortage) environment.

My opinion comes from actually being a BMW fan and choosing the MDX over a regular X3 40i with /M package.
Perceived reliability and lower operating costs are the deciding factors for me. Plus the Acura AWD may be better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have committed to the first S Advanced my dealer is getting here in Nor-Cal. I am leaving a Ford Raptor as I want to get back into my garage, and I don't use the truck as a truck. Owned an X5M before the Raptor and drove BMW, AUDI, Lexus before making the decision. (not a MERC fan). Was happy enough with the standard MDX but wanted a little more zip. To get something comparably equipped out of BMW it would be more expensive to purchase (plus ADM locally) and based on experience much more expensive and finicky to maintain. At the time I order the MDX, bought my wife an RDX and have been very impressed with the car. She came out of a Macan S, and much prefers the RDX other than looks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
For $92,500 :eek: I can think of a lot of things that are a lot of fun... One of which is an MDX Type S Advance with an extra $20K in the bank to have fun with, that I wouldn't have with an SQ8.
I guess. I don’t exactly see them in the same category. I’d rather have an airplane and an old beater car if we’re playing “would you rather”.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Yeah an X3’s fit and finish is not better than the MDX given the X3’s much more liberal use of hard plastics. Plus the fact the X3 does not provide nowhere near the utility that the MDX does nor does it have the option of an air suspension.

It depends on what you are looking for………If you want to impress the neighbors with the BMW and want to be able to take off a little faster at a light by all means purchase the X3M. The MDX Type S is meant to provide all of the utility of an MDX with sportiness that rivals and actual surpasses the regular V6 offerings in the X5 and X3 with enough luxury touches to be a bargain in the mid $75K range.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah an X3’s fit and finish is not better than the MDX given the X3’s much more liberal use of hard plastics. Plus the fact the X3 does not provide nowhere near the utility that the MDX does nor does it have the option of an air suspension.

It depends on what you are looking for………If you want to impress the neighbors with the BMW and want to be able to take off a little faster at a light by all means purchase the X3M. The MDX Type S is meant to provide all of the utility of an MDX with sportiness that rivals and actual surpasses the regular V6 offerings in the X5 and X3 with enough luxury touches to be a bargain in the mid $75K range.
I suspect regular X5 will probably keep up with or outrun the Type S. Also I was not very impressed with the Acura fit and finish. Things like the screw under the palm rest that's pretty obvious when you actually start using it, or the USB ports that pop up but aren't really damped very well or anything. Lots of piano black plastic that didn't seem very high end. I agree BMW does use more plastics than I'd like but generally the stuff is pretty rock solid feeling. Overall I'd call it a draw, though I'd probably give the SLIGHT nod to the BMW. I've been in both and thought the BMW felt better put together. Mercedes is a clear win on interiors IMHO.

I really don't know for the neighbors if one brand is more impressive than the other, but I do know BMW does get the driving dynamics nailed more often than not. Also reliability - my money would be on the B58 and the ZF8 speed over this latest Honda turbo V6 & Honda 10 speed for longevity. I suspect the BMW drive train will leak oil but will run for 200k miles. I'm not nearly as convinced of that for the Honda - ESPECIALLY the transmission.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I suspect regular X5 will probably keep up with or outrun the Type S. Also I was not very impressed with the Acura fit and finish. Things like the screw under the palm rest that's pretty obvious when you actually start using it, or the USB ports that pop up but aren't really damped very well or anything. Lots of piano black plastic that didn't seem very high end. I agree BMW does use more plastics than I'd like but generally the stuff is pretty rock solid feeling. Overall I'd call it a draw, though I'd probably give the SLIGHT nod to the BMW. I've been in both and thought the BMW felt better put together. Mercedes is a clear win on interiors IMHO.

I really don't know for the neighbors if one brand is more impressive than the other, but I do know BMW does get the driving dynamics nailed more often than not. Also reliability - my money would be on the B58 and the ZF8 speed over this latest Honda turbo V6 & Honda 10 speed for longevity. I suspect the BMW drive train will leak oil but will run for 200k miles. I'm not nearly as convinced of that for the Honda - ESPECIALLY the transmission.
Wish the new Honda Pilot would just come out so I can just get that one haha, rather than having to pay up so much for the "luxxxxxuuuuuuurrrrrrryyyyyyyyy" touches that come in the Acura level. The exterior of the new MDX is just so much better (IMO) than the recent generations, that is what has me smitten and willing to consider paying the extra freight for Acura vs Honda.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts