Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Me too

My 2002 also lost its tranny at about 20K miles. The problem started intermittently (don't they always) with the engine racing before the clutch engaged from a stand-still. I was worried the dealer wouldn't be able to reproduce, but we were told the entire transmission required replacement on the first visit. Dealer (Acura of Boston) said, at the time, it was the first he'd seen.

No question my faith in Honda has been shaken - still love the vehicle though.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
2001 MDX Possible Transmission Problems

Hi guys,

I have a 2001 MDX and it is nearing the end of it's normal warranty (about 48k miles) Anyway, I have noticed that at about 48 MPH when I lightly accelerate the car seems to "buck" and at about 40-45 MPH during constant speed the RPMs seem to oscillate like it is going in and out of gear lockup. The dealer suggested EGR valve, but I am thinking Transmission.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
clorigo said:
Hi guys,

I have a 2001 MDX and it is nearing the end of it's normal warranty (about 48k miles) Anyway, I have noticed that at about 48 MPH when I lightly accelerate the car seems to "buck" and at about 40-45 MPH during constant speed the RPMs seem to oscillate like it is going in and out of gear lockup. The dealer suggested EGR valve, but I am thinking Transmission.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
You may just be nervous because some of the paranoia from the board's hyperchondriacs is getting to you. You may be feeling the car going in and out of 5th gear as you coast and accelerate. When you are coasting the car goes into 5th during highway driving to save on gas. When you accelerate at that speed you are going back into 3rd or 4th.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
It is definatly not the feeling of the transmission shifting.. I had observed this problem before I had even found this site. (Thought I had a 60k warrenty oops!)

The "bucking" I am talking about occurs in an irregular pattern abnout 1 time per second. Highly unlikly the transmission shifts like that..

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
First, definitely take it into the dealer NOW, before the warranty expires. They may very well give you a "can't duplicate" or "no problem found" at this point (equivalent to "we don't know til it's more broken") but at least you'll CYA for an in-warranty repair should something give way after 48k.

The RPM change at steady-speed 45mph could very well be the torque converter locking/unlocking, which in itself isn't an issue -- it just might be where the lockup threshhold is for the speed and throttle position you're at.

BUT, the "bucking" definitely should not be there, and the X is NOT a gear hunter, that's for sure. Some of the TL/CL folks indicated "bucking" as a precursor to tranny failure, but it could be something else. Most of the EGR complaints posted here (just a few of them) have either had no drive symptoms (just the warning lights) or have been rough-idle-type problems.

IMO, so long as the car's in the shop for the symptom BEFORE the warranty is up, that issue will be covered under warranty for a reasonable period after the warranty expires.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I heard another sign is that the gas mileage will increase a bit because of the lack of friction from the worn gears.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Good advice from the Worm, make sure it's on record before the warranty expires. My MDX doesn't exibit any of the symptoms you describe but for some reason my TL-S is very sensitive to torque converter locking/unlocking and at certain speeds and throttle setting acts like your MDX. People have mentioned that I have a problem but I'm sure it's the converter.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Thank you for the advice guys, I will make sure I tell the dealer that I am concerned with the transmission so that it goes on record. I don't mind letting him troubleshoot normally but with only about 1.5k miles to go under warranty it makes me nervous.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
7 Posts
MDX tranny failure

I have a 2001 MDX touring/nav with about 52k. I love the car to death and I would buy another one in a heartbeat. My tranny went at about 33k. The car would make have a shudder when shifting between 1st and 2nd gears. First the dealer thought it was the engine mounts and replaced them. On the way home from the dealer the car was still doing the same thing. They then replaced the tranny and fixed the problem. Unfortunatly my car has seen the dealership for many little warranty reasons so much that I bought the extended one. Now it has about 53k on it and I noticed alot of cracks on my tires which turned out to be a dry rot. I called Michelin to complain about them and they told me to go to my local sears auto center to have them inspected. I did and to my surprise!! With 52k miles on them (rotated regularly) they gave me a 60% credit towards replacements. Unfortunatly they are out of stock and according to Michelin I sould have them in another week or so. THX for this board.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Re: 2001 MDX Possible Transmission Problems

clorigo said:
Hi guys,

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
I am starting to have this exact symptom....Did Clorigo ever write back on his fix. I notice that the shifts are not as smooth as of the last week. I checked the fluid but honestly have no idea. I smelled it and it didn't smell "burnt". To date the shifting was flawless with each gear effortlessly shifting and extremely smooth. It is seeming to "slam" into gear but not harsh....yet???. Any suggestions as to what it could be. Was going to take it to dealer for oil change next week anyways but guess it will have to stay to let them look at it. Oh man I hate this......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Clorigo, your problem sounds exactly like the problem I started to have until the tranny was replaced. First they changed the engine mounts because they were cracked and they thought that was the problem. But then they changed the tranny and all is fixed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
rbh235 said:
Clorigo, your problem sounds exactly like the problem I started to have until the tranny was replaced. First they changed the engine mounts because they were cracked and they thought that was the problem. But then they changed the tranny and all is fixed.

Good luck.
Well, that's not too comforting. Wonder why the engine mounts were cracked. They never would have found them otherwise, were there other symptoms? Is that a common or latent problem just waiting to appear?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Hi guys, sorry I have been away from the forum for a while -- Actually the "fix" ended up being a new 2003 MDX. I was able to get an outstanding deal from the local dealership trading in my 2001 MDX (Hard to part with the Dark Emerald Green though :()

I truthfully suspect it was the transmission... Possibly a torque converter lockup problem (bucking coming from lockup occurring too soon, RPM Oscillation coming from lockup then releasing the torque converter.. Just a guess.)

·
Registered
259 Posts
DaleB said:

It's just a gut feeling, but I am willing to bet more TL trannies are shifted and downshifted manually through the gears than MDXs.
I previously had a CL that had a tranny failure at about 12K. No excess shifting there. It was fun for about the first few days then it''s just put it in drive and go! Also, I didn't do any towing or anything that would really overheat the tranny, it just went on its own!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2002 tranny failure - refurbished tranny ok?

My MDX has started acting out a couple of months ago (at about 45k miles). At about 20 miles per hour it would not shift in the next gear. It would just rev up to 6-7000 rpm's and not be able to shift gears. It would do this sporadically, 2-3 times a day (mainly when it was very hot outside). After 3 visits to the dealership where they "could not duplicate customer complaint", on my fourth visit they filtered the transmission fluid and they found some debris. So, they said the're going to replace the whole transmission. Fortunately it's still under warranty! I asked the manger what kind of transmission they put in and he said it's a refurbished tranny and the warranty on it is just until the car reaches the regular warranty. Is this ok? Did anyone who had the tranny replaced get a refurbished one? And was the warranty on it just until the regular warranty runs out?

I'll pick it up tonight and hopefully it will be running smoothly although I am not very optimistic...

Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
In my opinion, your 'brand new' transmission was no good, why should the replacement be worse?

I am being optimistic. I think we had only one case where someone had a transmission replaced more than once in the same vehicle.

Since the new ones as delivered in the vehicle come with no typical drop down or inline filter, Acura probably replaces more than they need to if they go by solids in the fluid.
Of course, assuming they diagnosed the other symptoms correctly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 01 Tranny Story

My 01' MDX started bucking at about 20-25 MPH when lightly accelerating on level or slight uphill. Seemed to do it most when I ran it for a while, parked it for a half hour or so and then started it up again. Felt a bit like going over highway rumble strips. Since it had about 51k miles on it, I thought CRAP! out of warranty. Took it to my local Dealer, Acura of Avon (CT). Went for a test ride with a Tech from repairs. Managed to demonstrate the "rumble" 3 times. I looked at the Tech and asked him what he thought. All he said was: "You need a new transmission". He then told me he had seen this problem before on at least 2 other 01's, some at different speeds. I asked him if the replacement tranny's are new or rebuilds and he said definitely new. Acura of Avon covered the full cost of the replacement. took about a week. This was a couple of months ago. So far the replacement tranny seems fine.

Guess I'm lucky!

41 - 60 of 63 Posts