Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI all- in the market looking at a used 2nd or 3rd Gen MDX. Mainly will be a commute car but will need to tow a boat now and then- ski boat about 3,000 pounds + trailer. I had a 2005 Honda Pilot for many years that towed a MasterCraft, so I know these SUVs can tow a boat but wanted to clarify for MDX what package/options please.

For 2nd generation, was there a separate tow package and if so what did it include? Hitch? Transmission cooler? Or can any AWD 2nd Gen MDX tow for recreation use if you get a hitch put on it?
For 3rd generation, I see there are FWD/2WD options vs. AWD/4WD. Similar to 2nd gen, will any SH-AWD 3rd gen be able to tow a boat even if you have to get the hitch installed later after-market at say U-Haul? Or does 3rd Gen MDX have a specific tow package option?

I also read in a boat forum, someone who had an MDX said in 2010 Acura started including transmission and power steering coolers as standard equipment on all models- is that true?

Thanks!

·
Registered
466 Posts
My '07 has no hitch, but did come from the factory with a trans cooler. Haven't needed to set it up yet, but if I did I would do basically the same as I did with my Honda Odyssey. Proper hitch, wiring, and trans cooler. I've towed all over the country with my Odyssey at 3,500 lbs no problem, so the MDX with the extra horses should be no issue. Just keep your weight distribution right.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts