Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

MDX Top Speed

40K views 119 replies 70 participants last post by  mrgold35 
#1 ·
Anyone know what the Top Speed of an MDX is? I do not expect anyone to go find out but I'm just curious as I have not seen this mentioned in any literature.

#7 ·
On my way back from San Antonio to New Jersey, I got to race a Grand Cherokee. I easily got to 120mph and probably could've gone more but was a little too scared to try. I know my MDX was not limited to 118MPH. The MDX is faster than the Grand Cherokee. From 60-100 MPH we were pretty even. But when I got past 110 MPH I started to sprint away from the GC. I know I could've gone past 120 MPH.

#8 ·
More on Top Speed

I think the Acura stated top speed for the MDX is due to the "T" speed rated Michelin's. T=118MPH. It's interesting to note on the Michelin website http://www.michelin.com/us/eng/tire/auto/suv/replacement.html that there is also an 112MPH S Rated X-Terrain in the same size as the T rated ones standard on the MDX albeit with an minor increase (104 vs 103) in the load rating for the S-rated tire.

By reading the above posts it appears that the speed limiter if it exists all may not come in exactly at 118. I'm not sure about speed ratings for the stock Goodyears.

#9 ·
top speed?

Here's a question just inviting a bunch of BS answers..........but does anyone actually have data on the X's top speed? I know the tires are "T" rated (118 mph) and suspect there may be a speed limiter programed into the engine control computer at that point.........but still curious.

#15 ·
I believe I hit a top speed of 120 mph at one time, but I didn't want to take my eye off the road. I thought the governor was at 125-130 mph. I always do 90-110 mph, I only held out for 120 mph once to see what it felt like. A bit scarey if you ask me, my wife 2000 Maxima se felt alot better at that speed it's a little different when lifted in an SUV. Another member once stated that the governor was a little higher than 119 mph. If I get the balls up again this weekend I'll try for a little over 120 mph. But I have to check out the vehicle in it's entirety before making the attempt. Hope you guys and gals don't read about me in the paper!

#69 ·
I believe I hit a top speed of 120 mph at one time, but I didn't want to take my eye off the road. I thought the governor was at 125-130 mph. I always do 90-110 mph, I only held out for 120 mph once to see what it felt like. A bit scarey if you ask me, my wife 2000 Maxima se felt alot better at that speed it's a little different when lifted in an SUV. Another member once stated that the governor was a little higher than 119 mph. If I get the balls up again this weekend I'll try for a little over 120 mph. But I have to check out the vehicle in it's entirety before making the attempt. Hope you guys and gals don't read about me in the paper!

Good luck with the troopers on the island... It would be nice to know the top speed, but I do not think it is worth the risk, with all these accidents happening nowadays, tires popping and with people on the road that can't drive at regular speed, trying to manuver at a top speed could be very dangerous. Especially here in NY...

Better off taking this test to the tracks...

#16 ·
Oh boy. I have the opposite feelings. I had a 2000 Maxima before trading in for the X. I've cruised at 110 on the Maxima and this past trip of mine to delaware, I cruised around 90 on the X and touching 110 on a few stretches. I'd have to say I felt a lot more control with the X.

#17 ·
Doofy said:
Oh boy. I have the opposite feelings. I had a 2000 Maxima before trading in for the X. I've cruised at 110 on the Maxima and this past trip of mine to delaware, I cruised around 90 on the X and touching 110 on a few stretches. I'd have to say I felt a lot more control with the X.
The maxima with the 50 series tires on the SE, feels alot more stable than the MDX at the higher level. The maxima still pulls and want to go faster where the MDX get a little out of control over 110 mph. When I say out of control I don't mean that it's all over the road or gets airborne, it's just being so high at that speed if something should go wrong you feel like you going to roll and flip over where the maxima wouldn't.

#18 ·
I'll double that, paul. In my '98 SE I made a couple of quick 135mphs and it felt as stable as in 80-90mphs zone. With MDX, I don't feel like pushing it over 100mph for a simple reason of NOT testing the gravity on a raised center. :14:

On a side note, about 3 years ago I drove rented Opel Omega 3.0 (see Caddy Catera) Station wagon on autobahn going at 260+km (the arrow was beyond the last digit on the speedometer). The car was pretty heavy for it's class, but felt very stable. The only side effect I noticed was the lift-off of my $alls.... :2: :jump3:

#19 ·
I've hit 95 in the X ...

... and it felt fine. Did not keep it at that speed for long though.

#21 ·
The fastest I've ever gone in any car was 105 mph in a friend's TransAM about 30 years ago, and sure enough I got caught by the Texas Highway Patrol...it was an undercover car, saw two guys with cowboy hats behind me and thought they were just tailgating, so I kept on going till they turned on the siren and lights....they proceeded to scare the crap out of me with a of threats and hauled my little teenage butt off to court...

For some same strange reason I can't fathom, I've never been able to drive faster than 10 miles over the speed limit since then! So the fastest I've taken our X is 85, but my wife has hit 95 and didn't even know it (I had to point it out to her while I was drying the wet spot on my pants)

LOL

#22 ·
MDX Top Speed ?

I recently encountered a guy on the freeway on a late night who was tailgating me as I was going 85 mph on the freeway. It really
annoyed me as I thought I was going well beyond the speed limit already. I pushed it to 100 and decided to go into the middle lane as this fool in a Mercedes 350 SUV slowly passed me by. Im sure my X could have easily beat him but since I only have 1000 miles on my 2003 X and not a racer so I let him drive by. What really irked me was that instead of passing me on the middle lane he tailed me so close as to try to egg me on to a race. I was curious to know how fast some of you have pushed your X and if it had any stability problems ?

#24 ·
Re: MDX Top Speed ?

koolkat said:
I What really irked me was that instead of passing me on the middle lane he tailed me so close as to try to egg me on to a race...
Which lane were you in, the left or right? If you were in the left (passing) lane and saw him coming up behind you, you should have moved over. If you were in the right lane he should have moved over. But for some reason I beleive it was the former situation.

I guess that you've never driven in Europe, otherwise you wouldn't have seen this as a challenge for a race. This is why American drivers get such a bad reputation.

#25 ·
If I am in the left lane, and see a too fast driver coming up in the center lane, I will pull off into the center lane. Not to block him, I would only do that if there is plenty of time and is clear for him to pass me on the left, which he should be doing anyway.
If there is no time to do that, I simply stay in the left lane, slow a bit and let him shoot by. I know he will cut me off from the right but I am prepared for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.