Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
The fastest I've ever gone in any car was 105 mph in a friend's TransAM about 30 years ago, and sure enough I got caught by the Texas Highway Patrol...it was an undercover car, saw two guys with cowboy hats behind me and thought they were just tailgating, so I kept on going till they turned on the siren and lights....they proceeded to scare the crap out of me with a of threats and hauled my little teenage butt off to court...

For some same strange reason I can't fathom, I've never been able to drive faster than 10 miles over the speed limit since then! So the fastest I've taken our X is 85, but my wife has hit 95 and didn't even know it (I had to point it out to her while I was drying the wet spot on my pants)

LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
MDX Top Speed ?

I recently encountered a guy on the freeway on a late night who was tailgating me as I was going 85 mph on the freeway. It really
annoyed me as I thought I was going well beyond the speed limit already. I pushed it to 100 and decided to go into the middle lane as this fool in a Mercedes 350 SUV slowly passed me by. Im sure my X could have easily beat him but since I only have 1000 miles on my 2003 X and not a racer so I let him drive by. What really irked me was that instead of passing me on the middle lane he tailed me so close as to try to egg me on to a race. I was curious to know how fast some of you have pushed your X and if it had any stability problems ?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I found a Car and Driver review dated 2000 that lists the MDX top speed as, "118mph governor limited". Vehicles aren't going to exceed (from the factory) the speed ratings of the tires.

Glad to hear you didn't race the guy/gal. Leave racing where it belongs: On The Track.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re: MDX Top Speed ?

koolkat said:
I What really irked me was that instead of passing me on the middle lane he tailed me so close as to try to egg me on to a race...
Which lane were you in, the left or right? If you were in the left (passing) lane and saw him coming up behind you, you should have moved over. If you were in the right lane he should have moved over. But for some reason I beleive it was the former situation.

I guess that you've never driven in Europe, otherwise you wouldn't have seen this as a challenge for a race. This is why American drivers get such a bad reputation.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
If I am in the left lane, and see a too fast driver coming up in the center lane, I will pull off into the center lane. Not to block him, I would only do that if there is plenty of time and is clear for him to pass me on the left, which he should be doing anyway.
If there is no time to do that, I simply stay in the left lane, slow a bit and let him shoot by. I know he will cut me off from the right but I am prepared for it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree with deltajetfixer. Racing on streets should be the least of your concern. Remember it takes a split second for anything disasterous to occur and it takes a life time to pay for it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
To me, the X feels just as stable at 105 mph as it does at 50 mph - smooth as a baby's butt!! :4: And yes, the X is electronically governed to 118 mph (although, I haven't tried to exceed that!).

·
Registered
840 Posts
1. Don't worry yourselves about other people. Just worry about the fact that YOU SHOULD NOT BE IN THE DAMN LEFT LANE UNLESS YOU ARE PASSING!!! PERIOD!!!!

2. I took my 2003 MDX to the limiter. Hit 120 and it stopped me from going faster, so yeah, there is the limiter at 118 or 119mph.

3. FWIW, the MDX was just as stable at 120 as it is at 70 or 90 or 100. Awesome. No nervousness at all. I went that fast in a BMW X5 4.4 couple years back, and that car felt a tad better, although it's not fair cuz that car had MUCH wider Z-rated tires on 19 inch rims. My 03 has the stock touring crap.

4. FYI, you wanna go fast in an SUV (besides the Cayenne Turbo): http://acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14710

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have never pushed my 03 X beyond 100 (was very stable at 100), but I pushed a BMW X5 4.4 to a bit over 130 (about 132mph) last year in Utah - that thing was rock solid - even at 132/133 - it had more, but I didn't!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
ndahbar said:
1. Don't worry yourselves about other people. Just worry about the fact that YOU SHOULD NOT BE IN THE DAMN LEFT LANE UNLESS YOU ARE PASSING!!! PERIOD!!!!
So..I'm always supposed to be in the left lane then? Interesting...

Btw, just got my Passport 8500 from my girlfriend for our 4yr anniversary...not married bit it seems like it...

·
Registered
203 Posts
top speed for X

i know it sounded not appropriate or even a bit against the law:2: but i just wanna to know what exactly is the top speed for X. my thought was that v6 with 191kw, it can run faster than what's shown on the speedo. i was once speeded up to 180km/h in NT( which there was no speed limit on national highway) but didn;t want to get higher. anyone know anything about it! many thanx!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: top speed for X

jamchen said:
i know it sounded not appropriate or even a bit against the law:2: but i just wanna to know what exactly is the top speed for X. my thought was that v6 with 191kw, it can run faster than what's shown on the speedo. i was once speeded up to 180km/h in NT( which there was no speed limit on national highway) but didn;t want to get higher. anyone know anything about it! many thanx!
I thought it was somewhere around the mid 120s (MPH) (under ideal conditions). I am sure it's beginning to appear like a brick wall at those speeds with regards to wind resistance.
I have had my 02 nudge just above 100 momentarily and it seemed to get there with little effort. 03 and 04s are likely a bit faster, all else being the same except power.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Whooo, doggies...

I've gotten up just a little over 100, too, and was impressed at how well she rides at that kind of speed. I don't usually drive that fast, but it's easy to do out in the middle of nowhere on the interstate without really knowing what you're doing... :rolleyes:

Oh well. Don't think I'll get any faster than that.

I regret missing out on the chance to drive in MT when they didn't have a limit, I think that would have been fun (within limits, of course... ;) )

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I've had mine up to 120 mph and was very scared and didn't feel safe. I found the safe crusing speed to be 80-90 mph. Anything over that I feel as if I am going to roll over and over if a tire should blow. The center of gravity really makes a difference when above the 90 mph.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Pauls MDX said:
I've had mine up to 120 mph and was very scared and didn't feel safe. I found the safe crusing speed to be 80-90 mph. Anything over that I feel as if I am going to roll over and over if a tire should blow. The center of gravity really makes a difference when above the 90 mph.
Especially if you jerk the wheel too fast so you don't run over small animals....:D

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The official Top Speed is 119 (Governed).

I have had mine up to 115, and it felt fine. I was surprised how quite and stable it was for an SUV. I know my opinion differs greatly from "Pauls MDX". But I was highly impressed.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
eurohazard said:
The official Top Speed is 119 (Governed).

I have had mine up to 115, and it felt fine. I was surprised how quite and stable it was for an SUV. I know my opinion differs greatly from "Pauls MDX". But I was highly impressed.
I was overally impressied but compared to a car/sedan, if felt very scary. I didn't want to take my eye off the road for even a second to look at my speedomoter. It was very smoooth for an SUV. When I've had other SUV's for a test drive the Acura was top in class for the high speed test.

21 - 40 of 121 Posts