Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Re: Thank you!

misterjon said:
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm pretty sure I'll be okay in my garage -- I'm more concerned with the Southern California mini mall parking lot (where half the spaces are marked "compact"). Anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks again.
Take two spaces...

·
Registered
156 Posts
From an Integra, adjusting to wide MDX was difficult at first but I found the secret of parking... Find your space and go real fast!!!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
You can only take 2 spaces.......

Fireblade6 said:

Take two spaces...
.........if they are AVAILABLE.............you'd be VERY LUCKY to find a parking spot in the first place, and when you do find one there's usually ten people rushing and trying all sorts of stunts to grab it!!!!!!!!!..........That's why I really like my 4-runner. (of course, there are other things about it that I don't like - ride etc.) ......but at 68 inches wide it slips in and out of those tight spots without a sweat, allowing me adequate space to open my door and get out of the vehicle. I wish it were a tad bit wider (maybe around 2 inches) but NO MORE!! It's also much less STESSFUL to drive on the narrow L.A. streets where I don't have to do a "walking-on-a-tight-rope act" trying to keep it in the narrow lanes (especially in the turn lanes)......and that applies to old freeways like the 101 with ultra-narrow lanes!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think the MDX is wide. Strangely enough because its so wide, I have trouble opening up the doors to my LS400 when they are both parked in the garage. I have no trouble opening up the MDX because it is higher.

However, this is absolutly not a reason for staying away from the MDX. Rather, I love it because it is wide. Here in Houston, among the traffic, the width is absolutely no big deal, and the extra interior space is a bonus, especially on those long car rides, and if you have to squeezze a forth person into the back seat;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Width was definitely a concern for us when we got the MDX. We measured and remeasured the garage just to make sure this car will fit. As it is, it has less than 2 inches on each side from the mirror to the garage door opening. The first 2 days after we got the car, it stayed on the driveway because neither of us wanted to be the first one to scrape the mirror or dent the doors. After the initial shell shock, we just take a deep breath and aim for the garage opening. So far so good.

As for parking, these days, the standard parking stall size is 9' x 18'; The compact car parking can be as small as 7.5' x 15'. The car will fit, but door dings by others are definitely worrysome.

Driving-wise there is no concern with us with regard to the width. The car drives a lot smaller than it looks. Besides, we really wanted a wider car to fit the mother-in-law comfortably between the two booster seats....yeah right.:p

·
Registered
67 Posts
VicPai

I think the MDX is a perfectly good vehicle, even in urban situations.

Before my MDX, I drove a Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4x4. I am in sales, in both urban and rural situations. You want to talk about a machine that is not practical in tight urban situations, the SuperCrew is it. While I loved it, it simply was too big to manuever in parking garages and downtown areas. It was almost too large for comfort on busy interstates. (I-285 at rushhour in Atlanta for example)

Therefore, everything is relative. The MDX is much more nimble and easier to manuever and park in tight situations compared to my SuperCrew. Now, THAT was a vehicle that I should have rented a Neon to drive into downtown areas......

MIKEinTN

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mirrors Fold?

Just wondering if the mirrors can fold in on the MDX in case of a tight squeeze through the garage door?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes...the mirrors fold in.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
The MDX may have a wide ...

... rear-end, but hey at least no one is saying it is butt ugly!:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
No butts about it, BUT..

I can now say after having my MDX a month, I'm used to the width. I had a 1997 CL 3.0 before, so I was really used to something a little more trim. I zip in 'n out of the garage now with the greatest of ease.

Bottom Line: It's wide, but you do get used to it

·
Registered
351 Posts
Re: Re: Thank you!

Fireblade6 said:

Take two spaces...
"Take two spaces"??? How about just putting a big neon sign on your X that says "PLEASE, PLEASE, COME KEY ME". I thought stunts like that were the best way to get any vehicle vandalized--- especially something as nice as the MDX.

In all seriousness on the width issue, I can't believe how much attention this is getting. After nearly 3 months and 6K miles, I can honestly say I RARELY even think about its width! I have always had smaller and fairly compact cars. And while I was worried about the width before picking it up, it took me all of one day to get used to it. Since I have a one car garage, I too took a deep breath upon bringing the baby home and drove right on in. It was then that I realized that I'd been worried about nothing. I think I have may 4" of clearance on either side (from the mirrors). Nowadays, I barely even flinch when pulling in or leaving the garage. And lately, I've even managed to pull in the garage BACKWARDS, if you can believe that.

Granted, I don't exactly live in a metropolis, but I do park in a parking garage everyday at work--- and you quickly learn which spaces to pass on. It's not a big deal.

Now parallel parking is an entirely different story! :D I haven't even dared to try that yet-- only because I'm uncomfortable with not being able to really gauge how close the rear is to another car. Wish I had that warning sensor thing the Mercedes has! Oh well, can't have it all!

Dana

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Dana-

hehehe a little sarcasm on this thread would not hurt. Like you said in all seriousness, the width of this vehicle is not all that bad. Don't make this car more out than what it is when it comes to size..

Just think of those poor souls who own Ford Excursions, Expeditions, GMC Denalis, Yukon, Chevy Suburbans and HUMMERs when you park.

You MDXers have it good. Quit whining and DRIVE!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just wide enough!

Width was an issue when my wife and I started looking at SUVs 2 years ago. We didn't want (or need) the capacity of the really big trucks (Excusion, Suburban, etc.), but we needed more than the mini-SUVs (RAV4, CR-V, etc.). We also needed to be able to tow 3000+ pounds. On paper the Mazda Tribute seemed just right (we had 2 626's at the time), but when we drove one it seemed too small and cramped. The MDX looked right on paper and when we drove it.

I measured our small 2-car garage to make sure it would fit. We had been parking 2 626's with very little room to spare, but it turned out to be enough for the MDX. There is only about 4 inches of leeway to make sure we can open doors on both sides. (I 'outlined' the parking spaces in outdoor carpeting years ago to make it easier to line up.)

Besides the cargo space, we really like the width because of the increased shoulder room. We were tired of fighting over the armrests in our 626s, so the wide armrest in the MDX is perfect for us.

Perhaps the most telling comment on size came from my wife, who drives (and loves) an Acrua Integra as her 'main' car. She says that when she gets out of the Integra into the MDX, she can't tell the difference (handling, etc.) except for the improved sight lines. (It's amazing how much more you can see from just a few inches higher.) She doesn't have any trouble parking or manuvering the MDX. (We also have a Blazer, that she refuses to drive because it "feels like it takes up the whole road".)
- Conrad

·
Registered
22 Posts
First of all I Like to say WIDER IS BETTER.

Rollover ratio(SSF: static stability factor): HIGHER the better

Calculated by Width/height. ( average track width)

I think MDX has the highest SSF( 66.4/71.3=0.93).

Second is Pontiac Aztek ?

I love MDX SSF.

You may do some research with other SUVs dimensions and post if any other suv has better SSF than MDX.

Roof rack/luggage rack may compromise this SSF ?

MDX 2002 T/N

21 - 35 of 35 Posts