Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a story of my recent trip from Texas back to Ohio. About 2 hours north of Dallas, a tire blew. So I change to the spare and keep driving north to a small town about 15 miles. Tire is not fixable and they do not have the 235-65-17 size tire. To make a story short, ended up driving 75 miles north at 50 mph in 90 degree weather stopping at every single town (some of which were fairly good size), and NO SINGLE PLACE has that tire size. Typical response: "That's an oddball size. We don't have in stock. We can order it, it'll take 2-3 days. "
The last place is Texarkana and it has like 12 tire stores, including a Sams Club, a Sears auto & tire, Goodyear and Firestone stores and, you guessed it, NO TIRE. We had to spend the night there. Next day, we called every single tire place in Longview, TX, Shreveport , LA, Tyler, TX (including authorized Discount Tire stores in Longview and Tyler, and again, nobody has that tire size. After calling 8-10 places in Dallas, finally found a Discount Tire store in Forth Worth with ONLY ONE tire in stock, at $150. So I bought a used low profile size 225 -17 and put it in the alloy, just in case I blew the spare and drove back about 200 miles and got a $150 Goodyear Wrangler SRA tire. First thing I did when I got back, I order a full size alloy and spare tire from tirerack. Moral of the story: IF YOU TRAVEL OUT OF YOUR HOME AREA, GET A FULL SIZE SPARE!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Acura Roadside Assistance?

DaleB said:
Never read a better testimony for a full size spare.
Good point Dale. Until I read this I had no interest in a full sized spare. I must have been very lucky the last 30 years, have not had to change a tire since the late 60's, so until now I have not even considered a full sized spare.

Rim32 what about Acura's roadside assitance? Did you call them and if so what did they suggest? Did you attempt to contact any Acura dealers?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tire that blew was the Goodyear Integrity. Im sorry, I mispoke. I bought both a $20 used low profile tire, just in case the donut spare blew on my 4 hour trip back to Dallas and I also bought the goodyear Wrangler at $150 (tirerack has them for $110, but I did not know that at that time). Believe me, after all the hassle, I was happy to pay that and get on my way home about 1,000 miles to Ohio. Anyways, I had no other option, other than buying one from tirerack or Tires.com and having them overnight ship them to our hotel. Only one place with that tire of about 25-30 large tire stores I called all over Northeast Texas and Eastern Lousiana. Talking about a nightmare ending to our great vacation. My wife is pissed at the car (or Acura, for that matter) and tells me she doesn't believe its a safe vehicle anymore. Especially when youre traveling with all your kids, including a baby. If you think about it, what good is a original tire size if you cannot find it anywhere. BTW, Acura's service hotline was of no help. I also called the nearest dealer in Shreveport, LA and the only thing they could do is order a tire for me, with a ETA of4-5 working days.:eek:
IMO, if that tire size is so unusual, a full size spare should be offered, especially in a $35k plus vehicle.
I'd be interesting to find out from the members of acuramdx.org if the tire stores where they live stock tires of that size.

·
Registered
36 Posts
www.tirerack.com offers the T-rated Goodyear Integrity in the 235/65R17 for $71+shipping and the S-rated for $68+shipping.

If you've want to spend a little more, the Michelin LTX A/S is $92+shipping. It's cool because the MDX-sized tire has the same tread design as the Cross Terrain. See:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/michelin/mi_ltxas.jsp

I opted for the wheel from Tim and the LTX A/S for the spare. The LTX and Cross Terrain look almost identical, but I don't plan on using it in the rotation schedule since the speed rating is an S rather than a T. (For my money, an S-rating beats the heck out of the stock spare's 50 mph limit.)

All that aside, I would be embarrassed for the MDX to be seen on the stock piece of c**p that was delivered with the car. Besides, Xs with full-size spares look really cool from the rear! JMHO

jnbsdad

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
My wife is pissed at the car (or Acura, for that matter) and tells me she doesn't believe its a safe vehicle anymore. Especially when youre traveling with all your kids, including a baby.
As far as SUVs go, I think the MDX is a safe vehicle, and perhaps even safer than many others.
But I would not feel safe in any SUV while driving on a donut.
It's a marginal situation in any vehicle but that much worse in an SUV IMO. The full-size spare offers that extra assurance should you be stranded due to a flat. A 1/2" wider rim and 255/60 series tires would be nice too.
Skinnier tires offer better going through snow and probably slightly better mpg due to less rolling resistance. Lots of compromises, I guess we have to decide with which ones we feel most comfortable.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Safety not only includes how well a vehicle does in a crash, but options that keep you from getting stranded. Believe me, its not fun driving with the car loaded in 93 degree weather in the 70 mph speed limit highway with a 50 mph donut and semi trucks braking right behind you and passing you at 75 mph. I didn't feel too safe then.

An analogy would be to have relatively common engine parts (lets say a radiator hose or serpentine belt) in such a size that they can only be special ordered or only found in the dealer. If they break, then youll be stranded, and we all know Acura dealers are not as widespread as Chevy or Ford dealers.You can have the nicest vehicle, but if that is the case, I wouldn't like to buy it.

I bought a MM spyder alloy with a Bridgestone Dueler tire, all for $220 shipped, mounted and balanced.

Acura needs to listen. I'm planning on sending them a letter.

·
Super Moderator
1,801 Posts
rlm,

Did you try calling NTB or Sears? They carries those ODD tires.

I was having trouble to located new tires for 626 last month (185,65,14), but both of them carries this odd size tires.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Acura tends to use skinny tires

The MDX has a very narrow rim; 6.5" I had no trouble finding the right size in Houston for my spare, but Houston is a big city - I am not surprised that it would be a special order in small towns.

For what it is worth, my TL-S also has skinny tires relative to the competition.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, tried Sears tire and auto in Shreveport, La, Bossier City ,La and Texarkana, TX and no tires. No NTB stores in those cities. Did not try Sears or NTB in Dallas because I had already found the tire at Discount Tire and I was not in the mood for comparison shopping. Just for curiosity's sake, I went to the NTB web site and they do not list that tire size, I think its a special order. The whole point of the story is get a full size spare if you don't live in a large city or if you travel far from home.

·
Registered
126 Posts
difficult tire sizes

Could be worse. My new M3 came with 255/35-19 tire. This is a Euro only size and NO ONE, not even dealers yet, carry them. AND, the M3 has only the "M mobility system" which deletes the spare tire and gives you a portable compressor and some tire goo to help you get someplace to get a fix. Not that this is possible since this is an impossible tire to find.

SO - my two vehicles: MDX and M3 convertible - sure hope I don't blow a tire!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Maybe a good reason to get a F/S spare at least on your MDX.
Another point about NOT doing a 5 tire rotation on the MDX with a F/S size spare:

There is always a risk (albeit a small one) that when it's time to replace all tires you still have a 'new' spare and maybe they will not make that particular style anymore. So you will keep using it as a spare and have to buy 4 new tires instead of 3.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Just out of curiosity.......

.........even if you did order a FULL-SIZE-SPARE for the MDX, where would it fit??.......would you be able to fit it in the slot that currently holds the "donut" spare?? :confused:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Thought about a cover for my f/s spare, too. Instead, I installed it facing upwards so that there would be no road debris damage on the visible side. Might get a tiny bit of road tar on it, but its face is pretty close to the floor pan, but not actually touching it, so as to keep out most of the flying grit. 15k miles now and nothing that I can't just wipe off. Another option for people worried about their expensive, polished, f/s spare rim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts