Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Iive in Toronto, Canada and am trying to understand the timing belt change interval.

According to acura.ca the timing belt should be changed at 100,000KM (62,500 miles) when driven in areas with lower temperatures. As such I contacted a licensed mechanic (non-dealer) to get quotes on the work, who later advised the timing belt does not need to be changed until 160,000km (100,000 miles).

Looking online that is what i found Acura recommends in the United States. So at first i thought this is due to temperatures and climate, however i called Acura in Minneapolis which is as cold (if not colder) than Toronto and they advised the interval is 100,000 miles.

Would the US model use a different timing belt than Canada? Otherwise, why would the interval be so different. Is acura just ripping off Canadians?

Please let me know your thoughts. I am willing to get the work done, but don't want to do it that much earlier than necessary.

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
There's no difference in the spec in this area between the USA and Canadian models according to what I just checked when I compared the two different owner manuals. The manual states -

"If you drive regularly in very high temperatures (over 110°F, 43°C), in very low temperatures (under -20°F, -29°C), or tow a trailer, replace every 60,000 miles/100,000 km. "

I think it's rarely below -20F in Toronto so your vehicle wouldn't fall under that extreme condition. Yours s/b replaced when the MID tells you to. I've heard that it's generally around 100K miles/160K km or so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the feedback.

Learning this is frustrating as its just mlre ways the dealer tries to rip off customers.

Does the MID have a specific msg for timing belt? Otherwise ive only seen the service A, B etc reminders.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
According to acura.ca the timing belt should be changed at 100,000KM (62,500 miles) when driven in areas with lower temperatures.
Correct.

As such I contacted a licensed mechanic (non-dealer) to get quotes on the work, who later advised the timing belt does not need to be changed until 160,000km (100,000 miles).
Usually that is correct, as the code 4 only comes on around 105K miles / 160K kms. Unless you are using the car in areas with lower temperatures.

Would the US model use a different timing belt than Canada?
No. The entire Second Gen was produced in Canada, in Alliston, ON. So all of them are basically the same cars using the same components with very minor differences in options, trims and equipment (such as US models not having headlight washers, etc).

Otherwise, why would the interval be so different. Is acura just ripping off Canadians?
It's all a perspective on how Canada is perceived generally as a Country with a much colder climate than US on average. Of course, living in Toronto is totally different from Living in the true North.

If that's any consolation, I did my TB back in 2014 on my 2008 MDX when it hit 160K kms and the 4 appeared on Maintenance Minder. The TB did not have any visible damages and looked like it could go another 50-60K kms from then. But you don't want to try your luck with this, obviously. Because if it breaks, chances are you're going to need a new engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, definitely need to be proactive and not risk blowing the engine. Despite being in Canada, Toronto would be in the same boat as Minneapolis.

To be safe I wont run it up to 160km, but think i should be ok at at least 130km or 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Unless you are using the car in areas with lower temperatures.
According to the manual, it's not just 'lower temperatures' that drives the modified schedule (100K km versus 160K km), but rather, ridiculously low temperatures and driving 'regularly' at those ridiculously low temps of -20F. Canada has some temps like that but way further north than Toronto (where few people actually live). According to one website I checked, the last time the temp even hit -20F in Toronto was in 1943 and I'd guess most people would've just stayed inside if it got that cold.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Aww I recall the days when Honda wanted you to change the T-Belt at 60K such a waste of components…

·
Registered
187 Posts
It can easily go 160k km. I just got my timing belt changed a week ago and it seemed like it could of hit 200k km before I changed it. I changed it when I got the A34 maintenance minder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts