Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2020 MDX with tech. The sound system is not that bad but I also drive a BMW 5 series and I did a 2.3k audio upgrade in that and it sounds amazing. Is there any guides on here for subwoofer, speaker upgrades that are plug and play or similar? At high volume the ELS surround has some distortion that is very obvious and it isn’t as I expected for a 10 speaker Grammy award winning designer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes the speakers that come with the base stereo and the ELS (which are the same speakers with an ELS logo on em) audio are mediocre quality at best. Simply swapping out the speakers with higher quality units goes a long way for improving the sound quality. Here are some threads detailing the procedure, process, and parts (though some of these part numbers are discontinued now). Read through it very carefully, it's a very thoughtful and useful discussion.

I have replaced the front component and tweeters so far. Doing the center and rear doors next. I won't touch my subwoofer because I am satisfied enough by it.

I am no audio expert and didn't want to mess with the amp or anything like that, though some have. Use the "Advanced Search" tool on the forum to find your questions that have already been answered.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just bought a 2020 MDX with tech. The sound system is not that bad but I also drive a BMW 5 series and I did a 2.3k audio upgrade in that and it sounds amazing. Is there any guides on here for subwoofer, speaker upgrades that are plug and play or similar? At high volume the ELS surround has some distortion that is very obvious and it isn’t as I expected for a 10 speaker Grammy award winning designer.
But that’s not how mass market audio works in vehicles. A name badge of ELS on a cheap speaker means very little. You almost always need to upgrade to achieve better sound quality at the level of what you like did in your German car. Heck, my friend’s X3 and X5 stock systems both distort sometimes at higher volume listening. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
The big issue with ALL new vehicles, especially SUVs is lqck of insulation making a lot of background noise.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The big issue with ALL new vehicles, especially SUVs is lqck of insulation making a lot of background noise.
The interior of my MDX actually has very low cabin noise compared to many other vehicles. My friend with his 100k Mercedes SUV even commented on how quiet he thought it was inside.

There’s really no point though to expect audiophile sound from a heavy moving vehicle with the engine, suspension and tires so close by. OTOH, Upgrading the stock speakers is always the best bang for the buck, even on the vast majority of home audio systems. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The thing to keep in mind is that car audio is usually compressed because of the extraneous noises inside a moving car. The soft passages are elevated and loud ones decreased. By doing this, most of the music can be heard, even in a noisy environment. That's all well and good, but it's not a true representation of what the artist had in mind.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The thing to keep in mind is that car audio is usually compressed because of the extraneous noises inside a moving car. The soft passages are elevated and loud ones decreased. By doing this, most of the music can be heard, even in a noisy environment. That's all well and good, but it's not a true representation of what the artist had in mind.
110%

Understanding this, along with learning how to adjust the sound settings for optimal listening can go a long way. Even prior to simply replacing the arguably tinny ELS branded stock speakers.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I really wish they'd have the Krell audio system from the RLX available in the MDX. That is one outstanding system. Jealous of my wife jamming to her tunes when she takes her car to work. ;-)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have replaced center dash and all door speakers in my 2018 MDX base. It did make a significant difference in SQ. But it's no way close to a Logic 7 system in my BMW F10. I'm looking into adding an after market amp to see if can help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts