Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I’ve been lurking for a while but now that I have a question, here goes. I purchased a CPO 2015 MDX tech SHAWD and recently had TSB 16-042 performed to fix the pop, knock, clunk that can be felt in the steering wheel, sometimes when turning, sometimes over minor bumps etc.

I’m still experiencing the exact same issue.

You can feel a knock, like something is hitting a steering component and that knock is translated to the steering wheel.

Anyone else continue to experience this even after the TSB meant to address it was applied. I know I need to take it to the dealer but I feel as though they are going to tell me nothing can be done. It’s quite distracting and annoying driving this vehicle with these symptoms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took my MDX to the dealer and a tech rode with me. He also felt the knock. After leaving the car for a few days nothing was done and the dealer is telling me that this is just how these cars drive??

They came to this conclusion after driving a 2016.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Took my MDX to the dealer and a tech rode with me. He also felt the knock. After leaving the car for a few days nothing was done and the dealer is telling me that this is just how these cars drive??

They came to this conclusion after driving a 2016.
Your dealer is incompetent. Find another dealer. My 16 didn't have any knocking, popping or clunking, so no, it's not normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again @Wilsoncc. After the dealer told me that this knock is just how this thing drives, I went back to the procedures you linked. I loosened and re-torqued the lower control arm bolts to 90 foot pounds, and voila, no more knock! Maybe i should invoice Acura at $135/hr...

·
Registered
713 Posts
Awesome.

Speaking of noises - there is that noise that many folks blame on the front brake pads where it clicks when rolling the opposite direction after braking and then braking again. I just swapped the pads for new ones and based on how tight the old ones were in the brackets I don't think it is the pads sliding around making that click. Has anyone found the cause of that clink?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had some knock/tap feel coming into the steer wheel and Acura fixed it under warranty by replacing the strut rubber and top hat I believe, but it has came back. They said it could be a bad strut too, so I will be bringing it back in again. I would try re-tightening the lower control bolt suggested, but I don't have the garage for that and its under warranty so I'll let them deal with it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am pleased that it helped you out. We tend to over think things when diagnosing problems and overlook the simplest things which we can easily check ourselves to ascertain where the problem originates from. The k.i.s.s principle usually 9 out of 10 times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts