Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 MDX stalls randomly while driving and when it shuts off the "Range" on the blue screen shows "---" and the fuel gauge drops to empty while still good amount of fuel in the tank (sometimes even full). This behaviour is random and has no pattern. Luckily it happened mostly when I/my wife was at slow speeds (either at a stop light or making turns). When it turns off, it is really hard to apply the brakes steering doesn't work. The mdx restarts right after that on first attempt. I have changed the fuel pump relay/main relay (I think it is just two names of the same part) which is under the hood under steering wheel with brown connector but the problem still exist as this happened once again after changing the relay. I need some help here to troubleshoot this problem as this could be very dangerous if I/we are going on a highway at 100km+ and it shuts off. Any guesses.

Note. The dash lights and center blue screen still works when this happen so I think this could not be a ignition switch problem. (I guess as I am not a mechanic)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Sounds like an electrical open circuit at the wiring to the fuel pump. Suggest that you examine the wires and connections (particularly the ground connection) at the in-tank fuel pump. Corrosion or rodent damage would be most likely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bluepill for your reply. I will definitely check that. Do you know where the fuel pump wires starts towards engine/dashboard side so I can check both ends for continuity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
HI I had a 99 honda accord that sound like the same issue it once did in once in a wild would just die and start up I try every I know to figure out why could not until I took it to the dealer and they told me a relay need replacing honda had a recall on it so it was cover after that relay was replace never had the problem again so check for any recall out there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
@rajusohi

Be sure and read this link, the symptoms sound identical.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/symptoms-of-a-bad-or-failing-fuel-pump-relay

Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Fuel Pump Relay

If the engine is stalling or not starting, or the fuel pump is not making any noise when the key is on, you may need to replace the fuel pump relay.

Thanks to @shawn19 for sharing his recall story.

It's little clues like this that help.

It looks like @darcuri
had the same problem and fixed his MDX with a $40 relay.

https://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-first-generation-mdx-2001-2006/146458-intermittent-starting-problems-fuel-pump-relay.html#post1295001

Good luck.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thanks Bluepill for your reply. I will definitely check that. Do you know where the fuel pump wires starts towards engine/dashboard side so I can check both ends for continuity.
The pump relay mentioned the above posts is where you can pick up the source of the pump wiring to test.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts