Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Mdx stalling!!

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Vicdamonejr 
#1 ·
Hello, new to the site. Anyway I have a 03 MDX about 189k on the clockIt runs pretty decent no major issues. But every time I fill up at the station the engine dies. If I shut it off before I fill it up it will not start up without standing on the pedal and then I have to hold a steady rpm for a min or two before it will idle without stalling.

I've read a few different solutions. The most consistent is the Evap purge valve canister. It was cracked open when I bought it used. I unplugged the harness to try and bypass it but it still does the same thing.

I'm ready to purchase a new purge valve $130.00 from orileys. But I also read that there is something in the gas tank that is killing the motor whenever it senses fuel being added. I just need to know which one or is it both. Not trying to waste any money, I've already put out a lot with other repairs. Thanks

#3 ·
Yea it was just a check to see if the valve was sending a signal to the sensor causing it to shut off. I am getting a CEL. haven't gotten the code pulled yet. I was hoping someone else had a one and done solution. I need to change the evap purge for sure but I don't know if there is something in the gas tank that needs to be changed as well.

The MDX runs great other wise, it just dies every time I get gas. Very frustrating

#5 ·
go to hardware stores and get you a book a matches. Make sure they are the wooden kind with red tips. Also picked a gasoline can while you're there. Stop by liquor store on the way home.

#7 ·
Tps

I had an issue that I noted acted-up when I filled the gas tank. I don't fully understand how they were related but it would go into limp mode and throw a VMT(?) light on the dash. Shutting the vehicle off and restarting would clear the light. Anyhow, I didn't have a malfunction code but thanks to this site I was able to make an educated decision and replaced the Throttle Position Sensor--easy-- and we haven't had any issues since.

#8 ·
I had an issue that I noted acted-up when I filled the gas tank. I don't fully understand how they were related but it would go into limp mode and throw a VMT(?) light on the dash. Shutting the vehicle off and restarting would clear the light. Anyhow, I didn't have a malfunction code but thanks to this site I was able to make an educated decision and replaced the Throttle Position Sensor--easy-- and we haven't had any issues since.
I've checked the site and haven't found anything related to it. And like you I also don't see the relation between the tps and filing the gas tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.