Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
what mode are you running in? Normal, Sport or Comfort? I have found I get much better mileage generally in comfort mode. Unless you use a very light foot electric will kick off when you start up. My average for 8000 miles is close to 27 in mixed driving. On a 22 mile commute at between 45 and 55 mph I usually get 30 to 34 mpg depending on wind and if I use ACC or not. The ACC generally will cut your mileage as it seems a bit aggressive with gas on/off in traffic. I have never seen 19 mpg ever on a trip in this car if over 5 miles. Running down to the corner and back, yes 19 mpg might happen.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I'm liking the car more now, however, I am getting 19 mpg with very conservative city driving.
I’m driving in sport mode. There is a back way to our complex. 2 miles. 30mph limit. I hit almost 33.9 mpg. I can drive almost the whole route on battery. It’s great. Of course the car has to be warmed up first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I learned a lot from the service manager today! You can increase MPG by not using AC and warming up first. I see a few past posts as to warming the hybrid up first. I will see when I get the car back if I can raise the MPG to above 26. Using the electrical will def impact MPG and gas engine will be used if battery is low. I will try using comfort mode to elevate MPG.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I learned a lot from the service manager today! You can increase MPG by not using AC and warming up first. I see a few past posts as to warming the hybrid up first. I will see when I get the car back if I can raise the MPG to above 26. Using the electrical will def impact MPG and gas engine will be used if battery is low. I will try using comfort mode to elevate MPG.
Warm the car up by driving it. You gain nothing by having it sit while it warms up. It’s been known since day 1 of AC that it effects mileage. However,driving on the hwy with windows down increases drag and lowers mileage. So you take your choice.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
You can increase MPG by not using AC and warming up first. I see a few past posts as to warming the hybrid up first. I will see when I get the car back if I can raise the MPG to above 26.
I don't understand why anyone would buy a fairly expensive vehicle like an MDX, especially the current hybrid MDX, and then go to lengths to try to eke out an extra mpg or two out of it - which amounts to almost nothing compared to the cost of the vehicle. If one's pinching pennies there are plenty of less expensive similar vehicles one can buy.

I can understand playing around with it, which might be what you're doing, but a couple of mpg one way or the other is insignificant compared t the cost of the vehicle, the fact that it recommend use of premium vs regular, which adds to the cost, but not significantly IMO.

I don't think any modern vehicle benefits from 'warming up', at least not in the vast majority of conditions, and it only serves to waste fuel. I see people ding that sometimes and its ridiculous - I'm talking about conditions where it's not even cold, no snow/ice to melt away or interior to warm up or cool down. It's true that engines are more efficient once warmed up but you may as well drive it and get some use out of that fuel while you're waiting on it to get to the operating temp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Reading posts were Hybrids are getting 27-30MPG motivates me to find a solution as to why mine is not. No one wants to purchase a Hybrid for high MPG and then receive a car that gets 10-20% less MPG than advertised. It’s not pinching pennies, it’s feeling good about a car purchase and determining if you can improve use and performance. Here we share information, ideas and expierences with our MDX.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I don't advocate letting the vehicle sit and idle to warm up, and I don't think that was the point others were making. But if all trips are very short, fuel economy may appear low because the vehicle spends a disproportionate amount of time at suboptimal operating conditions. And it's true that A/C creates a load, but who would buy a car in the southern USA and not run A/C?

But if the hybrid battery pack is weak or there is a power drain somewhere, the vehicle won't perform as designed. Did the dealer perform diagnostics or just try to convince you there was nothing to be done?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Reading posts were Hybrids are getting 27-30MPG motivates me...
Take some of those posts with a grain of salt. People sometimes cherry pick the figures they talk about - often being selective in picking the values from the optimal instances and ignoring the times the results were sub-optimal. They sometimes do this sub-consciously.

My 2014 MDX hit around 27-28 mpg on the freeway sometimes while on some log cross-country trips but I know it's not going to hit that routinely, and the mileage will go way down once doing in-town driving. Your hybrid should do better than my non-hybrid, especially in off-freeway driving, but even then it'll still be hit with some sub-optimal conditions - namely short trips, etc. as 'wanderlust' indicated.

The thing to try to do is to see if what you're experiencing is the norm or not and this'll be under conditions people are typically driving under - not some special hypermiling snapshot where they post unusually high mileage - by not starting the calcs until it was warmed up, was driving on flat ground, had the a/c off, had no other people or load in the vehicle, has a broken in vehicle, etc. It's hard to get an apples to apples comparison via posts here without having some pretty controlled conditions when you're trying to get it down to within a couple of mpg. If yours is returning substantially less mileage than expected then raise it with the dealer service dept in case something's wrong with the vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dealer has the car and is checking it out but so far no error codes and all seems fine. They have been great and said if mileage continues to be lower than expectations, they can look at it again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
After almost 3500 miles I'm happy to say that under NORMAL driving conditions our Sport Hybrid getting at least 26mpg city and 27mpg highway. The few times I didn't see those numbers was due to identifiable circumstances. This MDX is a high profile vehicle and when we drove 75+mph and or into a strong headwind, we noticed the mileage drop off. When we slow down or catch a tail wind we were beating those numbers by 1 to 2 mpg. Otherwise it's pretty close to what Acura advertises.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As weather gets colder there is an obvious drop in mpg when initially cold. Went on an errand last night,
38 degrees. On way there 22 mpg over 8 mile distance, on way back 33 mpg, same road, same speeds, first was with engine cold, the second with engine warm. The electric mode won't cut in when engine is cold. Overall mileage for last 3000 miles is up to 27.6 mpg overall, 50 50 city highway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
whistling sound from hybrid 2500-3000 rpm

Anyone else with a hybrid get a relatively loud whistle sound when the hybrid kicks in under acceleration from around 2500 Rpms on the tach?

I just got a 2017 Hybrid Advance (have put around 900 miles on it so far). Really enjoy it for the most part, though i already have a loud rattling noise coming from the dash that appears to be coming from the passenger side and echos up through the port on the top front of the dash and the whistling sound mentioned above from the hybrid system. It's going to the dealer tomorrow for them to look at.

So far a nice upgrade from my 2015 Advance sh-awd that i just turned in at lease end. :nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
One of the things I’m finding. I have 5800 miles and the oil monitor is still showing 50%. Of course I have no way of knowing how much of that 5800 miles is electric. Around town it could be 50%. But highway may be almost none.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ But doesn't the gas engine run all the time - or at least almost all the time? Does it ever run on battery power alone?

As long as the gas engine is running it should rack up on the oil lifetime. Being at only 50% at 5800 miles is pretty good life - maybe they calibrate the oil life differently because less stress on the ICE due to some usage of the electric motors.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
^^ But doesn't the gas engine run all the time - or at least almost all the time? Does it ever run on battery power alone?

As long as the gas engine is running it should rack up on the oil lifetime. Being at only 50% at 5800 miles is pretty good life - maybe they calibrate the oil life differently because less stress on the ICE due to some usage of the electric motors.
No,the gas engine does not run all the time. On short trips on side streets with the car warmed I can make a 3 mile trip on almost all electric. Also,if you are in bumper to bumper traffic it will stay all electric most of the time as long as you don’t hit the gas too hard.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
What percentage of the 5800 miles do you suppose is all electric? It doesn't seem that it'd add up to much unless you truly spend a lot of time barely creeping along. Regardless, you don't need to change the oil very frequently apparently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. My windshield wiper fluid nozzles are freezing. Past 2 MDXs never had this happen. I'm thinking it is a design defect. Argh. Too much money for this to be an issue.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
What percentage of the 5800 miles do you suppose is all electric? It doesn't seem that it'd add up to much unless you truly spend a lot of time barely creeping along. Regardless, you don't need to change the oil very frequently apparently.
It's not uncommon for the non-Hybrid MDX to go 10k before the MID runs down. From the oil analysis I've seen, the Acura MID is conservative -- especially if you use a quality synthetic oil. I would totally believe that the Hybrid could do 11-12k between changes if you don't drive like a banshee.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We say that the battery is singing. We think it is so people can hear you coming. Hybrids are silent. Add a singing noise to prevent people getting run over in parking lots?

41 - 60 of 88 Posts