Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to MDX Sport Hybrid owners. I just wanted to start a thread for us. I just bought mine on Sat: an Advance in Lunar Silver with Greystone. First, how many of you are out there? How many MDX Sport Hybrid were made in 2017? I think it is around 2050 units of the total of all 2017 MDX production of around 55,000 units. My Sport Hybrid is sequence number 293. Yours is the last 4 numbers on your VIN number. If you are shopping for a MDX Sport Hybrid, good luck. They are scarce.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have seen nearly every dealer in TX has a few on hand with the larger volume dealers having up to 6 of them. The only thing scarce are the ones with the tech packages :frown2: but the advanced are plentiful here and the dealers are not hungry to get rid of them either. 2nd row captain's chairs are a deal breaker--I need bench, so I guess more of a plus not to upsell me for the 360 degree view. Have you used this feature a lot? Have you taken yours in for the misrouted fuel feed and fuel purge hoses recall?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Techs are hard to find. I haven’t received any notice on the misfeed. I use the 360 camera all the time. My last 4 are 1072. I checked and no recalls.

·
Registered
14 Posts
TSB has pictures if the hoses are improperly routed. It applies to certain ones and not all of them...most likely no issues with the regular ones but it is a quick fix so if anyone is shopping around for the SH, be sure this is checked/corrected before delivery. No sense is wasting time to come back for it. If I am buying new, I expect to only take it back for maintenance and not for quality control shenanigans like this.

http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/B17-029/enu/B17-029.PDF

Attachments

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Woah fuel pipe on top of the breather tube? good thing they catch up quickly..
Although is the heat in the breather tube even enough to melt the fuel pipe? weren´t those hoses like 150°C rated?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
My finger has been a living test subject of the breather tube heat.... But my finger isn´t 150°C rated.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Since these are relatively fresh off the line - what tires is Acura putting on these? Michelin Latitude Tour, Continental Crosscontact, something else? I think the Michelin Latitude Tour is either no longer being made or being phased out so I was wondering what tire Acura is currently OEMing.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Since these are relatively fresh off the line - what tires is Acura putting on these? Michelin Latitude Tour, Continental Crosscontact, something else? I think the Michelin Latitude Tour is either no longer being made or being phased out so I was wondering what tire Acura is currently OEMing.
Cross contact on mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a 2017 MDX hybrid with Tech package. How do I verify that my vehicle is not deemed for a recall? Any links where I can feed in my vin's for a quick check?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was anyone able to pay much lower than MSRP? They seem to be on their high horses with these sport hybrids, especially when they get them from other dealers or have to order them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the end of model year sales gives the buyer some help. But my local dealer only had one in black and I wanted a silver. I made him some offers but he would not trade if the offer was much below MSRP. I had to shop 5 Acura dealers and finally got my silver at a tiny bit below invoice. But if I wanted a gas MDX they were counteroffers quite a lot below invoice. The free market is supply and demand. Now that the 2018 MDX is made in Ohio the MDX hybrid might show up after Jan 1. Then the dealers will be happy to discount the 2017 hybrid.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I got some internet pricing. I got a low price on one that had been around for awhile. Then I went to a closer dealer and asked them to match the price. They matched it,even though the one they had was recent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know the engine code/model that are in these hybrids? Do we know how old the design is and if they are in other non hybrid models? I was comparing the engine bays of the hybrid and non. I noticed the hybrid engine does not have a serpentine belt and no pulleys but just the lone pulley from the crankshaft not driving anything. I must assume they used an electric water pump? I hope the impeller is some sort of metal alloy and not plastic or composite. I am big on longevity and wonder about it along with the electric motors and clutches in the transmission.

Does anyone know if there are any particular breakin procedures? I could not find it in the manuals.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Water pump is driven off the timing belt in many Hondas. Power steering is electric in 3rd-gen MDX. Guess hybrid has no need for an alternator, but what about the A/C compressor?

[edit] A/C compressor is electric.

Dunno that I would buy any hybrid expecting to drive it for hundreds of thousands of miles. But if I did, I think the gasoline internal combustion engine would be the least of my worries. Battery pack, electric motors, controllers, rheomagnetic shock absorbers ( in this hybrid) are things I would worry about. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
How does the gas engine start?
I have noticed there is no cranking on the gas engine. I have another car with the auto stop/start. When the engine starts,it cranks first. Just like a normal start. However,when the gas engine starts,there does not appear to be any cranking. It just starts. How do they do that? I’m not a technical person.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The hybrid has a relatively powerful electric motor integrated into the transmission. This motor is massively more powerful than the normal starter motor for a gasoline engine, and it is capable of high speed operation. A normal starter motor can't turn very fast, so the gasoline engine will sputter a bit as it gets itself up to idle speed. The hybrid electric motor is so fast and powerful it brings the gasoline engine up to "running speed" nearly instantaneously. I think there's some other engineering magic involved in "blending" the electric and gasoline motor outputs through the transmission, but that's way out of my league.

But yes, smooth and unobtrusiveness drivetrain performance was a stated goal for development of the sport hybrid. Which IMO is not to be confused with the behavior of the idle-stop on the ZF 9-speed...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know what the part number is for the all season weather mat with high wall for the second row? I noticed weathertech notes the second row mats do not fit the hybrid. I noticed the accessories DIY did not list the part number differences for this either:

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/AH/BII03445-18/enu/BII03445-18.pdf

I remember seeing an accessories list at my stealership that gave a separate pricing for the all weather mats for the hybrid.

What is everyone else doing for the floor mats?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts