Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I searched the forum, and it is either not there or I cannot use the search function properly.
Anyways, I am planning on buying MDX soon, and I am hoping someone could help me answer my question related to the MDX sport hybrid motors: 36 horsepower motors mounted side by side between the rear wheels.
I read somewhere that the motors get shutoff/turned off when the speed is around 78 miles or higher. And, it is not a malfunction or issue or anything like that.
It is just designed that way by Acura.
Unfortunately I couldn't find any more information about that.
My question is.... does this mean the MDX hybrid is AWD from 0 - 78 miles and it turns into FWD when the speed hits 78 miles when you are driving on a freeway?

I would appreciate it if you could either answer or post a link to a thread that this has already been discussed.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Yes, that is correct.

The electric motors turn off at high speed, and when that occurs the vehicle is entirely FWD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. It is too bad but glad to find out before I purchased it. I guess I will stick with the gas model rather than hybrid.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Thank you both. It is too bad but glad to find out before I purchased it. I guess I will stick with the gas model rather than hybrid.
Just wondering,why does that bother you?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
There are different caveats for the Hybrid and one of those is being able to drive completely FWD which is a huge MPG saver at the highway.. This does not means the normal SH-AWD does not do this anyway, As per gen 3.0 SH-AWD which has a hydraulically controlled SH-AWD differential it can also become pure FWD biased above certain speed so even if you get the gas model it will do the same.

As your concern in driving behavior it does not matter anyway, I do plenty of track course and have touged my MDX to hell at this point I am fairly confident on what the MDX can and cant do and one of those is cornering fast at +75mph... At those speeds SH-AWD mean squat since there is not ENOUGH torque to make SH-AWD work. So even if you get the gas model I can assure your it will behave the same as the hybrid chassis wise.

The only SH-AWD systems that does not disengage regardless of speed is the purely Mechanical Electromagnetic Systems ala SH-AWD 1.0 and 2.0 but that does not mean they work at those speeds (They do not work at those speeds FYI) by the 75mph mark those systems are only introducing drag since they cannot disengage which kills highway MPGs.

What I would be more concerned on the Hybrid is the Lower Thermal Limit those motors have as they WILL OVERHEAT if used hard and will start to degrade in performance (This is noted in the SH-AWD HYBRID SYSTEM Technical Bulletin). So if you push those hybrids hard they will start to lose performance over time.. So if you are planning on taking the Hybrid off road (Which Acura says you shouldn't probably because of that) or Driving it HARD it would be a better choice to get the Gas Model and Even then SH-AWD 3.0 has a lower thermal threshold than 1.0 and 2.0 too...

Summary
-SH-AWD 3.0 has a superior overdrive ratio to SH-AWD 2.0 but at the expense of a thermal threshold this means the 3G MDX can possibly turn faster than the 2G MDX but it also has Performance Degradation over time that the 2G MDX with SH-AWD 2.0 does not have.

-SH-SH-AWD is simply not suited for performance driving or off road since it cannot keep up with Heat and Energy. Buying a Hybrid MDX for those escenarios is dumb.

So get the Gas Model if you want performance driving and off road capabilities.

·
Registered
35 Posts
During the test drive(s), I noticed the Hybrid is a little quicker than the gas for general driving. I also noticed that the Hybrid got from 75 to 90 quickly and didn't need the electric motors to help out. Not sure what the concern might be re: the motors shutting down after 78 MPH; the Hybrid drives like a dream and doesn't need to apologize for any lack of top end speed.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
During the test drive(s), I noticed the Hybrid is a little quicker than the gas for general driving. I also noticed that the Hybrid got from 75 to 90 quickly and didn't need the electric motors to help out. Not sure what the concern might be re: the motors shutting down after 78 MPH; the Hybrid drives like a dream and doesn't need to apologize for any lack of top end speed.

Yeah nope… The reasons why the Hybrid gets faster to highway speeds are those Motors, The weaker J30 could not hold a candle to the J35 if it weren´t for those Electric Motors.

Low End Torque is what those Motors are For which will get you faster to 60.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Yeah nope… The reasons why the Hybrid gets faster to highway speeds are those Motors, The weaker J30 could not hold a candle to the J35 if it weren´t for those Electric Motors.
Yep. Without the electric motors, the J35 will SMOKE the J30.

I wish Acura had used the J35 for the Sport Hybrid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts