Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting close to trading in my 2015 MDX Tech for a 2018 either Tech or Adv. Dealer has OK'd removal of the spare tire system in the 2015. Will the system fit in the 2018? I have heard there is a difference in the spare tire wheel itself, but, will the crank system match in the 2018? Thank you, in advance!

·
Registered
52 Posts
bolt pattern on new MDX is 5 x 120 which I believe is different then your 2015 so wheel won't fit, crank system should be the same but if not is pretty cheap on line

·
Registered
869 Posts
Correct. Bolt pattern on 2014-2016 MDX is 5x114.3 mm. Bolt pattern on 2017+ is 5x120mm. Not cross-compatible.

5x120mm is the bolt pattern for 2nd-gen MDX ( 2008 - 2013 ) and for 2nd and 3rd gen Honda Pilot, so there should be lots out there, including used ones.

The crank hoist is probably the same, but they eventually get corrosion in the spool and start sticking. They aren't very expensive, so I would start fresh.

Honda/Acura sells a kit that includes hoist, rim, and tool. Local tire dealers may stock a compatible Kumho tire that costs much less than the OEM tire.

Or negotiate with the dealer to discount or include the whole system at time of sale.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a 2018 MDX last week and ordered the factory spare tire kit off Amazon for $81. If comes with everything except the tire. I haven't bought a tire yet for the 18" X 5" rim but I'm looking. When installing the hoist (5 bolts/very EZ install) I measured about 28" available for the tire.

My 2018/Tech came with 20" wheels but I bought 22" wheels/tires at 29.3". I had a ZDX for seven years with 22s and loved the look, in those seven years I saw no more than 20 ZDXs on the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a 2018 MDX last week and ordered the factory spare tire kit off Amazon for $81. If comes with everything except the tire. I haven't bought a tire yet for the 18" X 5" rim but I'm looking. When installing the hoist (5 bolts/very EZ install) I measured about 28" available for the tire.

My 2018/Tech came with 20" wheels but I bought 22" wheels/tires at 29.3". I had a ZDX for seven years with 22s and loved the look, in those seven years I saw no more than 20 ZDXs on the road.
So NSXfun, I just bought a 2019 MDX with no spare. Getting ready to buy the spare kit assembly and install it. I assume the winch system installs on the underside with the bolts coming through. Is that correct? Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts