Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened to make a harsh decision where me and the MDX doesn't have insurance for a month. This leads to the MDX being a garage queen for a month and will not be used at all. How long does this batter take to completely drain and be dead if it sits for an entire month? I hope mileage and age of battery doesn't play a role in this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just start it up and let it run for 20 mins every week.
Thats what I usually do since I do have a nice high and harsh OCD to maintain our cars regardless. I never had let a car's battery drain at all.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I try to only let my vehicles sit for 4-5 days max before driving them just to get the juices flowing and recharge the battery. I like to get the vehicles to operating temp during a 20-30 min drive. I let my RLX sit for +5 days and got all kinds of dash/Acuralink warnings the safety systems are not working properly. Had to take to Acura to clear the codes even after recharging the battery and driving the RLX more often for almost 2 weeks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I try to only let my vehicles sit for 4-5 days max before driving them just to get the juices flowing and recharge the battery. I like to get the vehicles to operating temp during a 20-30 min drive. I let my RLX sit for +5 days and got all kinds of dash/Acuralink warnings the safety systems are not working properly. Had to take to Acura to clear the codes even after recharging the battery and driving the RLX more often for almost 2 weeks.
My issue here is that I have no insurance for both me and my MDX. And apparently in Florida if I don't have insurance FHP will take away the vehicle registration and tag until I can show I have a valid insurance, plus I have to pay fees on top of it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sounds like your RLX might have a battery that's weaker than ours. I can let the wife's '18 sit in the garage for a week, and aside from the AcuraLink email saying that it was shutting down due to a non-use of the car, once I got in and drove it the warning was rescinded, and I never got any warnings on the dash.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I just drive around the neighborhood most of the time at speeds of 20-35 mph for 20-30 minutes if I don't have pick-up essentials. My registration expired on my 19 MDX last month and NM motor vehicle department is shutdown. I still do the neighborhood drive thing with my MDX; but, take my other vehicles if I need to go further.

My insurance company did give me a discount on premiums since lockdown. I would check on liability insurance because that could be at a pretty good discount also.

Only other way is letting you vehicle idle in the driveway until operating temp 1-2 times a week if you don't have a way to get a charger.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Sounds like your RLX might have a battery that's weaker than ours. I can let the wife's '18 sit in the garage for a week, and aside from the AcuraLink email saying that it was shutting down due to a non-use of the car, once I got in and drove it the warning was rescinded, and I never got any warnings on the dash.
It seems to be A-OK for now since I drive the RLX 1-2 times a week instead of 1-2 times a month before the dash warnings. I'm pretty much on the same tank of gas since early March for my MDX and RLX. I don't think I was driving long enough to recharge the battery and sustain the electronics for sitting for +5 days. I now drive the RLX in Sport mode and Sport+ for the MDX to recharge everything faster during my +20 min neighborhood drives.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 02. Pull the battery and let the car sit. If you have a charger to charge the battery charge it once then charge it again before you use it. Driving for 10 mins or just idle for 10 mins is a waste of time. It won't fully charge the battery and the car will go dead. You will need a key to get in the car. No electric. Just IMO.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
My issue here is that I have no insurance for both me and my MDX. And apparently in Florida if I don't have insurance FHP will take away the vehicle registration and tag until I can show I have a valid insurance, plus I have to pay fees on top of it.

What do you mean you have no insurance for you and the car? You insure the car. Not you. Did you cancel your life insurance?
We go for carry out most days. So I alternate cars. I make sure both cars are driven.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What do you mean you have no insurance for you and the car? You insure the car. Not you. Did you cancel your life insurance?
We go for carry out most days. So I alternate cars. I make sure both cars are driven.
What i mean is that my new insurance policy starts in early june and the previous expired sunday night at 11:59pm. My parents insurance policy doesn't have the MDX covered at all for my dad to use it, as its been transferred to me.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Cars don't have feelings, emotions, or internal organs that need life blood. 1 month is nothing. The "start and idle for spell" crowd is one of the major obstacles I have with buying used cars. The energy it took to start the car will not be regenerated in 15 minutes of idle/drive time, and worse you're just contaminating the oil with acid that forms in the condensation that never boils out of the crankcase like when you get it (oil, not coolant) fully up to temp. For under 6 months storage, the battery is the only consumable that will suffer if not cared for. Hook it up to a GOOD battery maintainer like CTEK and forget about it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Cars don't have feelings, emotions, or internal organs that need life blood. 1 month is nothing. The "start and idle for spell" crowd is one of the major obstacles I have with buying used cars. The energy it took to start the car will not be regenerated in 15 minutes of idle/drive time, and worse you're just contaminating the oil with acid that forms in the condensation that never boils out of the crankcase like when you get it (oil, not coolant) fully up to temp. For under 6 months storage, the battery is the only consumable that will suffer if not cared for. Hook it up to a GOOD battery maintainer like CTEK and forget about it.
Only other thing to consider is the gasoline itself. If the same tank of gas will be there for months at a time then consider adding stabil or seafoam to help prevent gasoline from gumming up injectors etc

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I shouldn't worry for a month then. I do have a jumper cable that I can use if this ends up with a dead battery, since the other car is insured and being driven.

Only other thing to consider is the gasoline itself. If the same tank of gas will be there for months at a time then consider adding stabil or seafoam to help prevent gasoline from gumming up injectors etc

I have been only using costco fuel but this past saturday I filled her up with premium (93 octane) gas from a half tank. The other half has the regular 87 octane in it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
So I shouldn't worry for a month then. I do have a jumper cable that I can use if this ends up with a dead battery, since the other car is insured and being driven.

I have been only using costco fuel but this past saturday I filled her up with premium (93 octane) gas from a half tank. The other half has the regular 87 octane in it.

Regardless of the octane, after awhile all gasoline deteriorates and can gum up fuel pump, injectors etc. So just like when you winterize a motorcycle or other vehicle u need to add fuel stabilizer to the gas tank so the fuel stays good longer. A month might be ok but if you are rarely driving a full tank could last several months in which case it will be something to consider

·
Registered
686 Posts
Coincidentally, I was out walking the dogs and saw an AAA service van jumping a car. I asked him how busy he was and he told me it’s non-stop busy and he had at least 8 more stops to go to after that one - all dead batteries.

Then a few hours later I got this text message from my wife who was moving my car. (I parked my car Behind hers blocking her in)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Regardless of the octane, after awhile all gasoline deteriorates and can gum up fuel pump, injectors etc. So just like when you winterize a motorcycle or other vehicle u need to add fuel stabilizer to the gas tank so the fuel stays good longer. A month might be ok but if you are rarely driving a full tank could last several months in which case it will be something to consider

I have a habit of driving my car til the gas tank is nearly empty, so I never bothered about fuel stabilizers. Last time we had any car sit was like over a decade ago with our first 2 Hondas, and both had a dead batrery when we came back from vacation. Even then, we also didn't put fuel stabilizers. I'll probably just drive alot once my car insurance policy starts so I can make sure I avoid any issues as much as I can.

Even with it being dead, i make sure the front end is facing the garage and the truck is facing the door that allows us to enter our house.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have a habit of driving my car til the gas tank is nearly empty, so I never bothered about fuel stabilizers. Last time we had any car sit was like over a decade ago with our first 2 Hondas, and both had a dead batrery when we came back from vacation. Even then, we also didn't put fuel stabilizers. I'll probably just drive alot once my car insurance policy starts so I can make sure I avoid any issues as much as I can.

Even with it being dead, i make sure the front end is facing the garage and the truck is facing the door that allows us to enter our house.

Slightly different scenario but I forgot to add fuel stabilizer to my motorcycle a couple of times over the years and come spring it wouldn't run very well, had to take it in and get the carbs cleaned out and other stuff adjusted so it ran smoothly again.

Then I religiously added fuel stabilizer and topped off the tank before winter every year and after recharging the battery in spring it started right up and ran smoothly.

So if you will use ur gas up in like 3 months then probably not an issue. But things are different right now and with some people spending most of their time @ home it might take awhile for some people to burn through a tank of gas. If by chance anyone might not burn through a full tank in 2-3 months then fuel stabilizer won't hurt but could definitely prevent some expensive repairs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts