Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 400 Posts

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MDX Sightings! Do you see many around town?

A recent post in Edmund's Town Hall on the Toyota Sequoia thread inspired this question. A recent SQ buyer was explaining why he chose the SQ over the MDX. The first of two main reasons he cited was price. He said his fully loaded SQ Limited was so much cheaper than the MDX! He says his ~ $39K SQ was much cheaper than the over $42K MDX. His second reason (which inspired this new thread) was that he valued the "exclusivity" the SQ offered over the MDX.

I quickly challenged him on both points: a fully loaded SQ Ltd MSRPs at ~ $45k and is thus much more than what I paid for my Mahogany Touring w/ Nav.

Secondly I informed him of both Toyota and Acura published production estimates. Toyota expects to produce about 50% more SQ than Acura does MDX - so much for exclusivity.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Houston Area Sittings

We became interested in the MDX in mid-December after a review in the Houston Chronicle automotive section. Since then we have seen 5 around town.

1) Dark Emerald Green in downtown Houston.
2) Deep Mahogany Pearl at a P&R on west side of town.
3) Nighhawk Black Pearl at the Kroger where my son works.
4) Deep Mahogany Pearl driving near our house.
5) Mesa Beige Metallic at a shopping center near us.

I do not think the two Mahogany were the same vehicle. The last three sitings were in the last couple of weeks. We had hoped the be the first in the neighborhood to get one, Oh well! When my wife spotted the Beige yesterday, she informed me we would be the fourth.

Houston is the nation's 4th largest city. I find it interesting that I have seen so few. I know there have been many more sold here. On the other hand we have seen many SQs. It is almost to the point where I will see one at least once a week. So much for exclusivity.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ghost that was quick

I knew I was a slow typer, but ...

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Admin Help?

I put a typo in the thread name! Oh no :eek:

How can we correct mispelled words in the tread name? I meant to write "sitings" and not 'sittings' I am a poor typist :(

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
This weekend on the interstate Sequoias - 3 MDXs - 0. The only MDXs seen anywhere this weekend were the two for test drives at my Acura dealer. Around town sightings over the past 3 months Silver - 3, Beige - 2, Black - 1, Mahogany - 1. However, tomorrow - My Garage - 8:00pm: - 1 Mahogany MDX!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Alright Remery, one more day! You'll want to be sweeping out that garage today, maybe put on a fresh coat of paint, and maybe some overhead halogen lighting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Still waiting on mine which is due to arrive in May/June. In the Ann Arbor Michigan area my wife and I have only seen one MDX, a black touring. We have both seen this one a couple of times each. They are very rare here.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Re: ghost that was quick

msu79gt82 said:
I knew I was a slow typer, but ...
I was just in the right place at the right time..

You're from Michigan State, I assume? I went there in the 80's, lived in the Flowerpots, and put in some time with the Pretty Shaky String Band, that spontaneously forms in the alley off Red Cedar on Wednesday nights.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually undergraduate at Memphis State and graduate school at Georgia Tech. Now everyone knows how old I am;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Few and far between

I live in NJ and work in NYC. In NJ I've seen three, Emerald Green, Mesa Beige (filthy, with a nasty smack on the driver side passenger door), and Black. I saw a Granite Green in NY on Long Island. I've never seen one in the city which strikes me as really odd. For such a heavilly-populated area, you'd think there would be a proportionately higher number of MDX's. Not that I'm complaining...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Re: MDX tally

I've seen a couple of dozen on the streets here in Southern California.

ghost said:
So far, after 3.5 months and 7,000 miles, my MDX siting tally remains at - 1

It's lonely at the top! :D

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
According to:

http://www.jdpower.com/auto/hot_sellers/FindHotSellers.jsp

Toyota sold 5,002 Sequoias in February.

Acura sold 3,798 MDX's in February.

Assuming that demand exceeds supply for both vehicles (which is pretty likely), it does appear that Toyota is producing more Seq's than Acura is producing MDX's. So you're correct in that you'll see more Seq's out there than MDX's.

Not to denigrate the Seq. It's a nice larger SUV. But as I've said on Edmunds, I didn't want something that big and heavy (15" longer than the MDX, several hundred pounds heftier).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just returned from a 1,000+ trip from the S.F. Bay Area to San Diego. Never saw another MDX, and I was LOOKING for one. In fact, I've only seen three others on the road since I brought mine home from the dealer back in early Nov. But it sure seems to draw attention from others. I can't begin to count the times another car or SUV would begin to pass me from behind on a freeway, then slow down and pace me for a minute or two while they check out my MDX.

Bill in Fremont, CA

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I've seen just a handful out in the SF East Bay -- an SS, a GG and a black w/boards. Saw a black totally decked out in SF (SOMA) about 2 months ago.

An SS zoomed by me @ about 85mph on I10 east near palm springs this past weekend.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Over the last 3 months since receiving our MDX, I have seen 4 other MDXs, and 2 Sequoias in the South Bay of the SF Bay area. A black, SS, Mohogany and GG.

Definitely a small sample on both ends.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just got in to work after taking my kids to school. During the 1-hour, 10-mile trip I saw three MDXs: Emerald Green w/ cute vanity plates, Nighthawk Black, and Mesa Beige (not including my SSilver). In the Silicon Valley these days, you get to sit in traffic and count a lot of autos while you are pretending to commute :). I didn't take note of the SQs but then they don't really stand out that much either. Maybe that's why the MDX seems to be more prevalent.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
bilmat said:
I can't begin to count the times another car or SUV would begin to pass me from behind on a freeway, then slow down and pace me for a minute or two while they check out my MDX.

Bill in Fremont, CA
Symptomatic of "tailpipe envy". Make sure to remove the sticker before driving anywhere so gawking X5-ML320-LX300 drivers don't get "road rage."!

1 - 20 of 400 Posts
About this Discussion
399 Replies
181 Participants
paotmc
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing