Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

MDX seats not as comfy as ODY

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  DaleB 
#1 ·
I went to the New York Auto Show today and saw the 2002 Odyssey with leather seats. Those seats are SOOO comfortable. Both in the front and in the back, they are all very plush. I'm just wondering why that is so. Is it because it's a Minivan? Can someone with both shed some light? Compared with those seats, ODY seems like an American in terms of comfort, and MDX like an European.

I noticed also that the Honda Pilot has the same type of seats as the MDX.

Wish they had put the same seats in the MDX as in the Odyssey.

#2 ·
The Ody seats are similar to the ones they have on the Accord (Leather). I liked those seats better than the ones I have on my MDX. I am not quite sure why Honda would put better feel seats in an economy car. Maybe, there is a good reason..

#3 ·
I think you probably answered your own question. The odyssey and MDX are targeted to different groups. Sport vehicles (The S in SUV, SAV, etc) normally are not associated with having barca-lounger type seats.

MDXtrous said:
I went to the New York Auto Show today and saw the 2002 Odyssey with leather seats. Those seats are SOOO comfortable. Both in the front and in the back, they are all very plush. I'm just wondering why that is so. Is it because it's a Minivan? Can someone with both shed some light? Compared with those seats, ODY seems like an American in terms of comfort, and MDX like an European.

I noticed also that the Honda Pilot has the same type of seats as the MDX.

Wish they had put the same seats in the MDX as in the Odyssey.

#4 ·
Reasonable statement, but when I sat in the Lexus RX and LX, and even the Toyota Highlander, the seats were also very soft and comfortable. I guess I was looking a bit more to the luxury side of the MDX as opposed to the sport.

#5 ·
Could Have Been Softer

IMHO, the MDX seats could have been softer! We are considering taking the X to a seat shop and having them softened up a bit [I understand that they simply replace foam with softer foam] .... oh well

#6 ·
Have only had my MDX for a couple of weeks but have already put 1,200 miles on it and have been on several multi-hour trips and my back has never felt this good after a long trip. I admit that the seats feel little stiff but they are growing on me and my back couldn't be happier.

#7 ·
I have to say I am happy with the MDX seat comfort., The test for me is how I feel after a 3 hr drive to my Mom's house. The worst seats ever were the ones in our Camry wagon - so short on the thigh support that I would be in pain. For some reason, Toyota seems to put short seats (ie - length of seat cushion) in their cars. One of the reasons I steered away from the Highlander.

Best were the seats in my BMW 540i.

#10 ·
The soft and comfort of the seat is a relative thing. Let's don't forget this is a "sport utility", not a van. My wife always said the BMW 3 serious is so hard that it is just not as comfortable as the Camry. To get real, the softness of the seat is part of the car design too. It isn't too difficult if a car manufacturer wants to put in the softer foam, is it? If you want the soft and comfy, you are lucky to have MDX because most other SUVs are "hard and bumpy."

:D

#11 ·
different strokes

Once upon a time I had to buy a new mattress. I tested every bed imaginable and settled on an excellent bed in the upper middle cost range(mdx-value range_costly, but dollar for dollar worth it).

I took delivery of the bed but obviously couldn't remember what the bed looked like. When I slept in the bed that night, I was sort of bummed out. I had been anticipating this comforatable mattress that I had tested at the store. I kept it for 2 nights thinking that maybe my back would have to adjust. But after 2 nights the same thing. So then I check the mattress label. Sure enough it wasn't the one I had chosen.

When I ordered a bed mattress, the store sent a more expensive brand of mattress. It was double padded and everything_super premium stuff. Of course I had tested the mattress that I had liked. I tried to return it, but the store said that I could keep it because they made the mistake.

I said no thanks. They thought I was crazy. The premium bed was at least $500 more. But that softy mattresss was very uncomforatable for me. I think the firm wears better than soft on long trips because the padding softens up gradually just right.

Different strokes

BTW this is my first post. Great site

#12 ·
Very different strokes, as the back is one of the most complicated mechanisms of the human body.
Also, one of the most troublesome. Two people could each have back problems and the same car seat may not work the best for each one.
Like mattresses or automobile seats, everything is a compromise not matter how much they try to offer some adjustments to compensate. Maybe they need air mattresses that adjust the overall firmness of the seat back and bottom independently, not just the lumbar region.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.