Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone experiencing what I am going through?

My X's seat is hurting my back everyday. It goes in too deep so my back is arched unnaturally. Lower back support is pinching my lower back. It's lumbar support is not even giving me a proper support. It is just pushing my lower back uncomfortably. So I went out to see other Xs. They are all the same. So I know there are many people out there who feel the same pain I am suffering. Don't they make us crazy?

It just makes me having a bad day every day from the start. I don't have any back problem or anything. I used to have TL3.2 and it's seats were very comfortable. I don't know what happen to ACURA. How could they screw up big time with MDX like this? I should've kept my old car. The other day I drove RSX and found out that its seat was a lot better than my X. How can a car cost less than a half of MDX have better seating?

Man~ ACURA screwed MDX owners big time. I am asking every MDX owners to speak up and let ACURA know that they are responsible for our back pains.

I even went to custom upholstery shop to fix it, but availed me nothing. It's the whole design. Seems like there is no solution to this unless I replace it with after market seat. Even that might not a solution because of side air back is in the seat. I am afraid that if I replace the seat, it might screw up electrical system since I am not connecting the side air bag.

Any help or comment will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
cchu9988,

Sorry to hear of your problem. I find the seats adequate. I've experienced better, however, I've experienced worse. For instance, My wifes car (MB C230) seats are one of the more unconfortable seats I've experienced.

How tall are you?

Plush sheepskin seat covers may help. Have you considered them?

·
Registered
229 Posts
No such problems here. Plenty of adjustments available to get a comfortable driving position. My only complaint is that the headrest doesn't tilt.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
chu9988

For at least half the MDX owners on here, seats are normally rated quite high in comfort.
But backs are funny things. I have a friend who is very sensitiive to seats in cars, and finds comfort in some of the most unlikely vehicles.
Having recently added sheepskins, I can say they do tend to change the support some, adding more comfort. That could be the ticket!
By the way, my friend is living in Oregon, but was orignally from Campbell...think it's the water ? :rolleyes:

Just kidding, back discomfort is no fun.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a herniated disk in my lower back and the MDX seats are one of the most comfortable places for me. I can drive 3 to 4 hours nonstop with no back pain or discomfort.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
cchu9988 said:

My X's seat is hurting my back everyday. It goes in too deep so my back is arched unnaturally. Lower back support is pinching my lower back. It's lumbar support is not even giving me a proper support. It is just pushing my lower back uncomfortably. So I went out to see other Xs. They are all the same. So I know there are many people out there who feel the same pain I am suffering. Don't they make us crazy?

It just makes me having a bad day every day from the start. I don't have any back problem or anything. I used to have TL3.2 and it's seats were very comfortable. I don't know what happen to ACURA. How could they screw up big time with MDX like this? I should've kept my old car. The other day I drove RSX and found out that its seat was a lot better than my X. How can a car cost less than a half of MDX have better seating?

Man~ ACURA screwed MDX owners big time. I am asking every MDX owners to speak up and let ACURA know that they are responsible for our back pains.

I even went to custom upholstery shop to fix it, but availed me nothing. It's the whole design. Seems like there is no solution to this unless I replace it with after market seat. Even that might not a solution because of side air back is in the seat. I am afraid that if I replace the seat, it might screw up electrical system since I am not connecting the side air bag.

Any help or comment will be greatly appreciated.
I found that the seats get even more comfortable as the leather breaks in. It almost starts to mold to you butt and get better. At first, I thought the same but over time I really do appreciate the comfort of the Acura seats. When compared to the mid size domestic they are much better, the only ones I feel are much better are the Lexus LX470, Yukon Denali, Cadallic Escalade, and the Lincoln Navagator. At this point your comparing mid-size to full size SUV's which isn't a fair comparison.

P.S. - Recaro makes some great seats as an option see below:

http://www.recaro.com/englisch/index_frames.html

·
Registered
93 Posts
cchu9988 said:

My X's seat is hurting my back everyday. It goes in too deep so my back is arched unnaturally. Lower back support is pinching my lower back. It's lumbar support is not even giving me a proper support. It is just pushing my lower back uncomfortably. So I went out to see other Xs. They are all the same. So I know there are many people out there who feel the same pain I am suffering.
Hope you find a solution, but I like my seats.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I find MDX's seats are very comfortable. My wife does complain a bit about no lumber support on passenger's seat but she is perfectly ok with driver's seat though.

torchny

·
Registered
595 Posts
After so many different kind of car I sit in.. I'd say the 92 Honda civic ex have the best seat for me..

The seats in MDX are very confy I had no problem drving to Vegas and back..

Only 2 things I thought of.. you can make the front of the seat higher, or get some pads of pillows.. stack them till u are happy with them..

Hope it works out for ya!

:1:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
NO problem with me. It is comfortable. I drove it 9 hours without any pain [as the longest record of the trip]

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I also find the seats very comfortable.

When the wife and I began our search for a new "upscale" vehicle about a year ago seat comfort was a big issue for us. By seat comfort I am including leg comfort, adequate head room, and passenger seat comfort. We tried many vehicles and the MDX was the best overall of all we tried. It was common for my head to hit the roof on many sedans (Lexus, Cadillac, T-Bird). All vehicles without a 6 or 8 way passenger seat were not comfortable to me (as a passenger). The absolute most uncomfortable for me in the drivers position (excluding those that had inadequate head room) was the CRV. My legs felt like they were in a sardine can and the seat was not comfortable.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The seats in my MDX are very comfortable (even on long trips). I also have a 2000 3.2 TL and the seats are also very comfortable.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Didn't you test drive before you bought?

cchu9988 said:
My X's seat is hurting my back everyday. It goes in too deep so my back is arched unnaturally. Lower back support is pinching my lower back. It's lumbar support is not even giving me a proper support... It just makes me having a bad day every day from the start. I don't have any back problem or anything. I used to have TL3.2 and it's seats were very comfortable. I don't know what happen to ACURA. How could they screw up big time with MDX like this? I should've kept my old car. The other day I drove RSX and found out that its seat was a lot better than my X. How can a car cost less than a half of MDX have better seating?

I have an MDX and a TL-S! Frankly I do not feel any significant difference between the two vehicles. I have put our MDX on the road on at least 7 round-trips now of 8 hours+ duration onw-way with no problems at all. I have driven the MDX on several occasions for 10+ hours straight - I think the seats are fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys.

Am I the only one who has problem?
Hmm,.. Maybe my seat is a defect. I am going back to the dealer and check other Xs to see if that is the case. I will keep you updated guys.

Thanks to everyone who cares. You guys are great!!!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
cchu: I was noticing a pain in my back as well. I use the seat warmer on high and seems to do the trick for me. Back pains suck and I know where you are coming from. Good luck

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Re: Thanks guys.

cchu9988 said:
Am I the only one who has problem?
Hmm,.. Maybe my seat is a defect. I am going back to the dealer and check other Xs to see if that is the case. I will keep you updated guys.

Thanks to everyone who cares. You guys are great!!!
Maybe you have a strange shape butt?? Just kidding!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
paul123 ... Did you crack a smile with that reply???

cchu9988 ... I am less than thrilled with the lumbar adjustment but I wouldn't rate the seat uncomfortable. I also would not rate the seat as great either ... Now Lexus, there you go for nice seats

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
One man's heaven is another man's hell??

.......but jokes aside, I guess it really varies from person to person.

I have not owned an MDX, but in the 8 to 10 test drives I've had in '01, '02 and '03 (just 3 days back) models, I find that the DRIVER and 8-way (touring) passenger seats in the MDX are some of the MOST COMFORTABLE I've sat in. (some don't agree with me on this, so that's why I'm lead to believe that it may depend on the individual's build - FYI, I'm small framed, weigh 135lbs and am only 5'10" tall)

Have you tried playing with the power adjustments??

........Specifically, I'm referring to the SEAT-BOTTOM CUSHION. Personally, I find that if you raise the seat to it's highest position (of course, depending on your height - I'm just 5'10", so that's perfect for me) and then adjust the angle of the bottom cushion of the seat so that it slopes backwards (highest in front, lowest at the back), it gives real good support because a lot of weight is taken off your butt and re-distributed on your thighs reducing pressure on your tail-bone (spine)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am the moron here, huh?

Please bear with me for a minute or two and allow me to explain.

I've opened the back cover of the seat and found the followings.

First, I found the so called orthopedically configured lumbar support which looks like cheap "plastic" imitation under the foam. And It is connected to a steel wire that would arch the supporting bars "unorthpedically" when you use the level on the side of the seat.

Second, the foams that cover these bars are some part too thick and some part too thin. They are uneven, and even remotely resemble human contour, not to metion, "support". So I had to scrape off bottom part of the back support and add more padding to middle upper part of of it to make it smoothe and make it to naturally curve to conform to human body.

Bottom line to these findings is that whoever designed or try to imitate, he failed misereably.

What I'm disappoined by this is that Acura did fabulous job producing superior SUV but failed to earn the true respect from owners like me because they cut the corners by putting cheap imitations like this on the most important part of the car.

Ironincally, RSX has very good seat that is true orthopedically designed. Do you guys know why RSX has the one that is better than MDX? What my guess is that Acura bought the design from 3rd party (I forgot the name of the company) who design car seat exclusively and put it in RSX. I know it because I saw that exact design from a upholstery shop who sells and installs those promium seats. Why then Acura couldn't do the same with MDX? That is biggest mistery, and that is what makes me mad.

That is my rant.

Thank you for your time.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts