Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last nite I had an amazing MDX experience. I drove my youngest daughter (15) and 3 of her friends to the mall in my new MDX. After consulting the manual as to the operation of the center rear seatbelt, the girls spent the entire ride exclaiming about how "cool" the center seatbelt is! It comes out of the roof! When I picked them up, there was a brief argument as who gets to sit in the middle!!!

In all my years of chaufering kids, that was a first!

·
Registered
91 Posts
we used the second and third rows for the first time last week in our fairly new 2002 silver MD. It took a few secs to figure out how to get the middle seatbelt out of the pocket. A 10 year old girl was sitting in the middle. She loved it! Later that day, I was driving with just one person and the same little girl. She refused to sit on the left or right seat, but insisted on sitting in he middle witht he "special seat belt"

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The new Honda Pilot is supposed to have two hangin' from the roof!! 1 for the second row seat and 1 for the back row [each is supposed to sit 3 people with 3 point belts].

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's funny how certain things appeal to different folks. I can honestly say that the only reason we do not own a MDX is that my wife (this would be her SUV) could not stand the drop down seatbelt. Her reasons:

1. person sitting next to the seatbelt would always have the belt right next to their face - seeing it out of the corner of the eye.

2. she would get tired of seeing a seatbelt hanging from the ceiling all of the time.

All I could do was let Acura know that this is the reason they did not make a sale. I was advised that this was a common complaint.

Hopefully Acura engineers will figure out a more conventional solution. Volvo, Mercedez, BMW, Lexus, Lincoln, Ford, Chevy all seem to have something that works just fine.

By the way - great forum!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Congoman,
To each his own ... but those are pretty "lame" reasons for not choosing a vehicle, IMHO. I don't believe anyone here who uses the center belt, has ever complained about any visibility issues for the rear occupants or driver.

More important criteria for me were reliability, safety, versatility and value. Good luck with your future purchase.

·
Registered
66 Posts
huh ?

Congoman......I have to wonder if you're not understanding that the seatbelt doesn't hang down unless you're using it. It's completely invisible to me as the driver and I think we've only had someone sit there a few times since we've had it (10 months) but I know it didn't bother anyone.

I think it's a great feature and can't even think of a better solution!

Kudos to Acura!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh I understand how it works okay. Problem is, my wife insists my 3 year old sits in the middle seat - hence it is used all of the time when my son is in the car which is almost everytime my wife is in the car.

I guess my point is why go this route when there are other options on the center seat belt?

Like I said, everyone is different with their preferences. I'm sure all of ours change over time - probably as soon as my boy is old enough to move to a window seat! Lame excuse - maybe. I'm sure everyone had reasons why they didn't buy other vehicles and settled on the MDX instead - which by the way, I think is a great vehicle.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts