Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if anyone has come across a decent way to carry three bikes on the MDX? I am getting desperate. I have an existing THULE system with the short tray fork mount for an suv with factory rails. Is it possible to adapt the mdx factory rack to hold Thule load bars and attach the bicycle mounts to the bars? I have also looked at the hitch option but the acura hitch is only available with the towing package. A bit pricey to carry around bikes. Any after market hitches available? Last option-- Does anyone know if the honda oddessy roof rails will fit the acura? whew. Thanks. I love my MDX except for this one vexxing problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thule now has a fit kit for the MDX. You need the 400 Aero Foot kit, the LB58 Load Bars and the (new) 2098 Fit Kit. I had been waiting for the fit kit to become available and received it a few weeks ago. It fits fairly well on the car, although it has to be installed a little too far forward for my tastes. The Thule fork mount fits nicely on it though. I've removed the factory roof rack (although I'm waiting for the replacement molding to arrive from my dealer), because it looks too cluttered up there with 2 sets of racks. I'm sure the Thule rack is _much_ stronger. If you take the factory roof rack off, you can see its held on only by 2 small screw posts on each side of the rack.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
How does this rack attach? Does it clamp down into the door jamb? Any whistling from where the weatherstrip is distorted?

Isn't that way forward/over the moon roof?

As far as strength, I'd be curious as to how many roof racks have fallen off MDXs... :)

Ard

·
Registered
76 Posts
>>How does this rack attach? Does it clamp down into the door jamb? Any whistling from where the weatherstrip is distorted?

There's a rubber foot that sits on the top of the car and a little ledge that holds onto part of the roof rack "track". A bracket then comes down and clamps onto the door jamb. The weatherstrip actually doesn't distort that much, but there's a heck of a lot of noise from the rack itself. I'm thinking of getting the wind fairing just because of the noise.

>>Isn't that way forward/over the moon roof?

Yup, the forward rack is 10.25 inches back from the top of the windshield, which puts it near the front of the moonroof. The second bar is 25.5 inches in back of the front bar.

>>As far as strength, I'd be curious as to how many roof racks have fallen off MDXs...

I hope not too many :) -- Actually I was concerned about putting 2 bikes on the factory rack and having them torque the rack as you drive around curves, over bumps, in the wind, etc. With the Thule rack I have no fear of carrying 4 bikes up there without any problem.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Four bikes. I'd have to agree. each bike can generate a lot of moment (twist) on the cross bar.

I am thinking of what it would take to make a set of towers that mounted onto the factory roof channels, but had bars that went ALONG the channel; the cross section of this bar would duplicate some other existing set up- that way a standard thule cross bar could be mounted.

I'm going to talk to a machinist and see how much a limited run of parts might cost- might be very trick. I'll post if I get around to it.

Ard

·
Registered
387 Posts
The Thule 889-xt fits perfect to the MDX Factory rack. It's sturdy and robust. It comes with enough hardware for a second fork mount. For a third mount, you would need hardware for the rear tray attachement and a Longer load bar. That's it. Good luck.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Dancall-

I know the Thule rack you're talking about but I'm trying to stay away from that since I'm not too impressed with its design. I'm sure it's completely functional and stable, but it's a rack on top of another rack, which really annoys me (just my opinion).

I was at Rack Attack last Friday (all they do is racks in Portland, OR), and one of the techs there told me a way to install two Thule/Yakima racks directly on the factory racks. The problem is that the MightyMounts (and the equivalent from Thule) are not available for the MDX factory racks, YET. If it were available, you could mount two fork-mount bike racks on the factory rack using the MightyMounts, and place a square (Thule) crossbar between the two racks to stabilize them even more. I think that this will look great and will function perfectly. But for now, I may try ardvakus' route and try those square-headed bolts to mount one rack. I just hope its strong enough.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I understand your point Mad... I was able to mount a Thule Fork Mount directly to the factory rack with some parts I stole from an older gutter mount. It just wasn't a great solution. The 889XT is fine. It is sort of a 'rack to a rack' solution but I think if you saw how it looked it wouldn't bother you at all. It's a clean and stable solution. I ain't puttin' up Sears 10 speeds so the stability and reliability is incredibly important.

Also, if you notice the MDX factory rack is bowed. If you mount directly to it, your bikes will always be leaning. With the Thule 889xt the Thule Bar balances that out. I would post some pictures if I could...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Those are real good points, dancall. Didn't really think about the rack being bowed. Hmmm... may be I should just get the whole Thule basket thing and mount whatever I want without worrying about it. I just can't understand why Acura designed their factory racks the way they did (wind noise, non-compatibility...) Another issue I have is that I'm putting a cargo box on the rack, which means that 889xt will not fit with the box. That basket is starting sound really interesting... Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MDX Roof Rack

Dancall
Thanks for the posts. I decided to go with the Thule 889. This setup allowed me to use my existing 50 inch load bars which I attached to the factory racks to mount 3 fork mount bike carriers and 3 wheel carriers. The 889 uses clamps that attach to the factory rack and a square bar clamp on (part no 853-2156) to attach the load bar to the clamps. I used 4 clamps and 4 square bar clamp ons for the installation. The kit comes with 4 clamps but only 2 square bar clamp ons since the Thule design does not call for a second load bar to be attached. However, this part is readily available from Thule (853-2156) on their website (it is in the spare parts for the ski carrier) http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product_spare2.asp?dept_id=50&sku=724 The folks at Thule claim that the clamp ons were not designed to carry more than 2 bikes. However, I transported 3 bikes 400 miles and the setup is very sturdy and not that unsightly. The only limitation on load is the clamp ons. If I were going to carry more than 3 bikes, I would get 3 clamps and clamp ons for the front and rear load bars.

Hope this was clear.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Awesome CMDX! Great info!

Right now, I am using the 31 inch load bar that came with the 889 but I plan on ordering an additional clamp to use the 3rd mount. Luckily, I have a 50" Load Bar hanging around that I could use in place of the shorter one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
dancall
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing