Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with 2016 or newer, do you press park first before turning off the car or do you just turn off from Driving mode? I come to a complete stop then turn the engine off from straight from D mode. But sometimes when I turn the engine on, the vehicle rocks forward while standstill scaring the heck out of me. Even the sales guy said I don't have to press the park button as it will automatically engage to park position when the engine is turned off. Anyone?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Are you on an incline? On my 2017, I press P, engage the parking brake, and then turn off the engine. When starting it up, I turn the car on, disengage the parking brake and shift from park to R. I haven't had any issues with rocking forward. I know for a fact, that the car will automatically shift to park if you turn it off while in drive. If you have brake hold on, it will also apply the parking brakes automatically. When turning the car on, hitting the accelerator pedal will disengage the parking brake.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Interesting I switch from d to park then switch off the engine.
Don't know how the car will go into park automatically when you switch off the engine and is it good for transmission

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
This is another case of technology run amuck. Since when is it so hard to press the park button? I've already heard of stories of people changing cars,leaving the car with it still in drive and almost getting away from them. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
This does not happen on my 16. I'm like desi in that my parking brake is always set when I'm parked and my foot is always on the brake pedal when i shift from and to park before shutting off or starting the car. Just because your car auto shifts to P when you shut it off does not mean you should do it that way. It is set this way to prevent a rollaway accident similar to what happened with our late newage Mr. Chekhov; not so much for shortcutting the usual process.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is another case of technology run amuck. Since when is it so hard to press the park button? I've already heard of stories of people changing cars,leaving the car with it still in drive and almost getting away from them. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
Haha, it's not that pressing the park button is hard.
This is probably why I was told to turn the engine off from D position. Not sure on which package but at least on this Advance/Ent model, there's auto engine idle stop so the engine shuts off when I come to a complete stop. So say I get home and enter my garage and come to a stop, engine shuts off. If I press Park, then it turns back on. So it makes little sense to turn the engine back on by putting it to park then shut off the engine again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts