Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The MDX and Pilot are on my short list of possible new SUVs to purchase. I currently have a '98 Pathfinder SE, with custom lift and tires, that I have used/abused off-road. However, I haven't the time or inclination to handle the trails that I did with my lifted Pathy. Anyway, that brings me to Q #1.

1) Is the MDX capable of easier trails and beaches?
2) Is the Acura worth the money over the Pilot (Subjective on a Acura forum and thanks Quan for your writeup on another thread!)?
3) With an impending war (AGAIN!), how is YOUR actual fuel economy?
4) Would you buy another MDX based on your experience with your current one?

TIA for your time in helping me finalize my decision. With the mods to my Pathfinder, I am down to about 14-15 mpg. With $2.00/gal gas on the horizon, I don't have the desire to have such an inefficient vehicle as my daily driver. Of course, either way, my motorcycle will see many more miles than my current 10K mile a year average. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Short answer to questions 1,2, and 4-------Yes.

On question 2 you will probably get a no answer at the Pilot site. Depends on if you are looking for an upscale or value vehicle IMHO.

Some of the features on the MDX and not available on the Pilot I could not do without. Moonroof, 8-way passenger seats, memory seats/mirrors, heated seats are a few. And I almost forgot, I like the looks of the MDX much better than the Pilot.

My MPG on 100% freeway/highway driving has ranged from 23.5 to 27. In town it is 15-16.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Hi Dog,

1 - yes, do a search on "off-road" for a variety of opinions, but it's not going off on a limb to say it's fine for light duty to moderate OR travel.

2- It was to me! Depends on your priorities (mine - life is short, drive a decent car)

3 - In this colder weather 17-19 in town (around 20 during summer). Highway - 21-23, 24 when I'm careful.

4 - I think I'll always need to have an MDX now. But I tend to keep cars forever, I suppose in 5-10 yrs I'll look around to see what's out there. Like Lady Liberty though, I'd get one in an instant if I had to replace this one.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
1 - yes
2 - I think so. Depends on your priorities/musthaves/wants
3 - 16 stop'n'go short trips, 21-24+ highway
4 - yep!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
TheWorm said:
1 - yes
2 - I think so. Depends on your priorities/musthaves/wants
3 - 16 stop'n'go short trips, 21-24+ highway
4 - yep!
My exact answers too :4:

·
Registered
619 Posts
ok, i'm gonna get some heat for this one.

regarding question # 2. I agree with worm, but if i had a choice between the pilot, and the X. I would have taken the Pilot with the $8k discount. sure u are missing out on certain luxuries, and the MDX is better looking(IMHO). That $8k would leave u with plenty of money for accessories, and options that cost extra on a luxury suv.:rolleyes:

Again, it all depends on your priorites. I mentioned to my wife that we should trade in the '01 x for a new '03 pilot(probably for same $), She laughed at my face, and told me i can't drive her MDX for a wk just for thinking of that silly idea.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
TopDog
All the yes and no questions, I will vote YES YES Yes.
Regarding to the mpg, with A/C on and about 50 highway/50 local, I am getting around 17~19mpg. With A/C off, I will be getting around 20mpg.

MDXLuvr:
I guess your wife did a right thing to suspend your driving privilege on MDX. :2:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not to scare you off but I get about 12-15 mpg in my MDX. But I live in an area of NJ that is like San Francisco when it comes to hills so that is why my mileage is so bad.

On the highway, at a constant speed, I've gotten up to 27 mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Compared the both befroe I chose the MDX. I agree with the other posts with the following additions:

Better accelerations and handling with MDX.

Warranty is better (48 vs 36)

Like the dashboard better

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
1) Yes
2) Yes, for me and my family
3) 17 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway
4) Yes, for now (in all honesty in 3 years things could change?)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ghost,
Why would your city mileage be higher in the summer (20) as opposed to winter (17-19). I don't know of any vehicale that gets better mileage turning an AC compressor.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I would get an '03 MDX for the NEW REDESIGN transmission...that is enough reason. The Pilot still has the old 5-speed auto transmission that is at risk for tranny failure (like Odyssey, TL/CL, etc.)!! Don't listen to other people who say that the MDX tranny is "stronger" than the Odyssey...it is the same (as i have been saying all along!), thus, would be at risk for this major problem in the near future.

my opinion.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Long answer to a short question...

sandman1 said:
Ghost,
Why would your city mileage be higher in the summer (20) as opposed to winter (17-19). I don't know of any vehicale that gets better mileage turning an AC compressor.
Sandman, probably a couple reasons behind this. First, and probably most important, I'm an avid fan of the seat heater (most mornings last week were -3 to -12!); I run it on high for the first 10 minutes of my commute, after that it's usually on low. MsGhost uses hers when she's a passenger. The kids just complain about how cold it is in the back seat, and make me give them rear heater control, which they crank up to full throttle. :rolleyes:

Anyway, there's an ancient thread on this site where we talked about the extra drain on the alternator from the seat heater resulting in a 2-3 mile drop in mileage.

Second, the initial poor mileage as the car warms up from subzero to normal operating temperatures a couple times per day further taxes the mileage.

Finally, we're just not big AC users; summer temps are pretty moderate, and if I'm driving around town, I'm more likely to have the AC off and the windows open (hey, you got to take it when you can get it!)

Anyway, after two full seasons of driving the 'X, I've noticed that my mpg's seem to be marginally lower in winter, higher in summer.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
tigmd99 said:
I would get an '03 MDX for the NEW REDESIGN transmission...that is enough reason. The Pilot still has the old 5-speed auto transmission that is at risk for tranny failure (like Odyssey, TL/CL, etc.)!! Don't listen to other people who say that the MDX tranny is "stronger" than the Odyssey...it is the same (as i have been saying all along!), thus, would be at risk for this major problem in the near future.

my opinion.
Very bold statement. What makes a "REDESIGN" better? Because it is new? Time will tell how the "REDESIGNED" transmission will do. I am sure it will hold up quite well as does the "OLD" transmission. We have beat the transmission question to death. Do a search.

·
Registered
259 Posts
1. Haven't used it there yet, but heard it is.

2. The CRV-Max, oops, I mean Pilot, can't come close to the X.

3. Usually get around 17-18 in everyday driving, mix of short highway drives and stop and go. Straight highway usually 23 to 24 at 75-80 mph.

4. This is the hardest question for me, it would all depend on the deal. I don't think Acura is the greatest company as far as customer satisfaction and providing the amenities that you would expect that comes with a luxury car. The wife and I both really wanted our X and went through the usual BS with the sales department, walked out twice before the deal closed, didn't particularly care for the old salesman says this, sales manager says the opposite. So far, haven't had any major problems requiring a call or letter to the corporate folks, but if I did have to do that, and got treated like some of our fellow members, I would definitely think twice about going Acura again.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
tigmd99 said:
The Pilot still has the old 5-speed auto transmission that is at risk for tranny failure (like Odyssey, TL/CL, etc.)!! Don't listen to other people who say that the MDX tranny is "stronger" than the Odyssey...it is the same (as i have been saying all along!)
Wrong. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
tigmd99 said:
.. The Pilot still has the old 5-speed auto transmission that is at risk for tranny failure (like Odyssey, TL/CL, etc.)!! Don't listen to other people who say that the MDX tranny is "stronger" than the Odyssey...it is the same (as i have been saying all along!), thus, would be at risk for this major problem in the near future.

my opinion.
Is your opinon based on fact? What facts do you have? :confused:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

MDXLuvr said:
ok, i'm gonna get some heat for this one.

I would have taken the Pilot with the $8k discount. sure u are missing out on certain luxuries, and the MDX is better looking(IMHO). That $8k would leave u with plenty of money for accessories, and options that cost extra on a luxury suv.:rolleyes:

Again, it all depends on your priorites. I mentioned to my wife that we should trade in the '01 x for a new '03 pilot(probably for same $), She laughed at my face, and told me i can't drive her MDX for a wk just for thinking of that silly idea.
It sounds like the first bit of hot water you jumped into was boiled by your wife! Thanks for the honest answer! I drove a Pilot today and was pretty impressed. The steering felt a bit wierd though. I don't remember the MDX having the same feel. It could have been the cheap tires (Goodyear Affinity) that the Pilot had on it.

There was something in the Honda-Pilot.org forums about the MDX having a better Navigation system (Twice the memory?!?) than the Pilot. Between that, the heated seats, moonroof, heated rearview mirrors, I may $pend the extra buck$ and get the MDX. But.... $8K is 8K..... Thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks

doggiedog said:
Not to scare you off but I get about 12-15 mpg in my MDX. But I live in an area of NJ that is like San Francisco when it comes to hills so that is why my mileage is so bad.

On the highway, at a constant speed, I've gotten up to 27 mpg.
I, too, live in a hilly area and that is one of the reasons I can't get better than 15 in my Pathfinder. I was hoping the extra power and gearing in the MDX would not be hurt by the hills. I'll have to see about an extended test drive. Thanks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
1) Is the MDX capable of easier trails and beaches?
2) Is the Acura worth the money over the Pilot (Subjective on a Acura forum and thanks Quan for your writeup on another thread!)?
3) With an impending war (AGAIN!), how is YOUR actual fuel economy?
4) Would you buy another MDX based on your experience with your current one?

Based on expierence 1) Yes
Based on ego 2) Yes
Based on actual milage 3) 17 city 24 highway. I drive really fast.
Based on future expectations 4) Without a doudt
Based on looks alone MDX. While the Pilot is a fine vehicle it's no MDX. You want to save money get the Pilot. Many things to take into account. Do your homework and I hope you make the right decision for you and get that MDX!!!!!
Good luck to you.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts