Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Experts,

I'm a single guy who want to have good space in the car. At this moment I don't have a car & don't commute much.

Had plans to get married this year or next so more members are going to join.

I decided to purchase an used MDX but would like to justify about Price, Year, Package, Features, Miles ..etc

# Features

Good Engine Capacity
Good Cargo space
Rearview camera
Blind spot assist (Optional)
Adaptive cruise control
Power Liftgate (Optional)
Good Audio system
Navigation
Heated Seats
Decent mileage & maintenance
LED Lights (Optional)

(a) Year & Price based on Engine , Performance ..etc - We can get First (2001-2006) / Second Generations (2007-2013) MDX for lesser price. Do i need to spend more money, Is this required & wise to spend more money on the MDX ? Also which year are the better models in the terms of Engine, Performance...etc ?

(b) Test Drive Engine Speed Pull - I did test drives for Acura MDX & RDX. I noticed when i drove RDX after giving gas speedometer at 30 or more (couldn't remember) i could feel the speed pull of the vehicle which i enjoyed the ride. Likewise can i expect the speed pull in MDX if so i need to look at which year ?

(c) Trim or Package - Technology / Sport / Touring / Advanced / Entertainment ..etc
Which Package i need to choose, Is Sport package have good suspension , Could you please help me to understand more about these packages & which is the ideal one. ?

(d) Miles - I can look for used MDX up to how many miles, Is 100 - 150K miles on MDX is safe bet ?

(e) Safety with features, less recall & Issues - Which year model is safer with features, less recall & Issues ?

(f) Issues with Used MDX - I think need to look for Tires usage, Timing Belt.. Could you let me know what other issues i need to be careful to avoid any breakdown ?

(g) Used Vehicle Inspection for Purchase - Do Acura does used vehicle inspection before i make purchase ? Any other service which does inspection ..

Much Appreciate your reply.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can tell you right now that the first gen does not have much tech, it was outdated even when first released. i dislike the way the trans shifts and it gives for a pretty jarring ride full of delayed shifts. The second gen is different style but i kinda like the boxier shape of the first gen. also, gas mileage sucks. these transmissions do have a history of slightly early deaths. overall, i did the costs out and it'd be cheaper to lease a ford escape than continue to pay for repairs and extra cost of premium, plus the impending risk of tranny failure. the fact of the matter is if you have enough to get the second gen, do it, there's still some issues, but im pretty sure they fixed the transmission

·
Registered
278 Posts
I can tell you right now that the first gen does not have much tech, it was outdated even when first released. i dislike the way the trans shifts and it gives for a pretty jarring ride full of delayed shifts. The second gen is different style but i kinda like the boxier shape of the first gen. also, gas mileage sucks. these transmissions do have a history of slightly early deaths. overall, i did the costs out and it'd be cheaper to lease a ford escape than continue to pay for repairs and extra cost of premium, plus the impending risk of tranny failure. the fact of the matter is if you have enough to get the second gen, do it, there's still some issues, but im pretty sure they fixed the transmission
I also like the boxier look of the 1st gen as opposed to the crossover look but it seems many manufacturers are doing the same ie ford explorer yet GM and Toyota look even more boxier in 2017 lol.

I agree the 1st gen is less tech than similar year lexus rx330 but at the cost of 2 rows vs 3 and a smaller interior. The mdx and pilot secret recipe is the small engine bay designed for v6 while other suv's may come with a v6 but also a v8 model so the engine bay can be as much as 10 inches longer like on a ford explorer. If you get an older model v6 explorer you lose out on storage space and the newer explorers are 10 inch longer 200" total to make up for the room for a v8 option.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Why complaint about the trans in the 1st gen then Recommend a FORD?? I mean... Ford....
They don´t have a bad transmission, All Ford transmissions are crap and die sooner than expected. Then we have the infamous TAURUS which makes the 1st Gen MDX Trans problems Blush.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Chris81, I have a first gen MDX and have had the 2017 MDX as a loaner while my MDX was serviced and IMO, the third gen MDX only has the infotainment features to surpass the first gen but outside of that, the first gen MDX has nothing to envy as long as you invest a bit in proper maintenance and customization.

I have yet to ride on a second generation MDX but the first gen MDX is a beast as long as you take care of it. It might be more cost effective as well in terms of saving. I have 178K on my 04 MDX and boy, that SUV can tag along with the rest of them considering it's 13 years old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
Have to agree with elpap117 to a certain extent. Any new car is going to have all sorts of fancy electronics (Android Auto, Apple Carplay, SiriusXM, and a suite of driving assistants - blind spot, lane watch, collision mitigation etc etc), but my 2006 (first gen) with 350 000 Kilometres still rides, handles and performs extremely well. It was recently at the body shop for a front bumper replacement (ask my wife what happened..lol) and I had a new Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk rental and aside from the UConnect system, I didn't miss giving it back and driving the MDX again.

Having said this, I'm considering moving up to a second gen MDX. I like the SH-AWD over the VTM-4 system in the first gen, and there's a little bit more tech in the 2nd gen than in the first.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Chris81, I have a first gen MDX and have had the 2017 MDX as a loaner while my MDX was serviced and IMO, the third gen MDX only has the infotainment features to surpass the first gen but outside of that, the first gen MDX has nothing to envy as long as you invest a bit in proper maintenance and customization.

I have yet to ride on a second generation MDX but the first gen MDX is a beast as long as you take care of it. It might be more cost effective as well in terms of saving. I have 178K on my 04 MDX and boy, that SUV can tag along with the rest of them considering it's 13 years old!

I have to "ditto" elpap117's comment above too. The last time I had my 2003 in for servicing, I got a brand new MDX loaner for a day. While the car was nice, I really didn't find the new luxury features to be a "must have" type of deal. Everything was certainly nicer but that's par for the course considering it's 14 years newer.

Also, similar to what Illustro mentioned earlier, I too prefer the boxier styling of the 1st gen MDX over both the 2nd and 3rd gens. For the same reason, I prefer the styling of the 2nd gen Ford Escapes over the new swoopy-lined 3rd generation.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
A good friend of mine leased a new 2015 Honda Pilot some time ago (stretching his finances in the process). When I got my 160,000 mile MDX, he sat in it, sighed and said "when I grow up I'm going to buy a car like this one". That is to say, the novelty of a new(ish) car wears off LONG before the payments end. I do a lot of long road trips and won't buy newer, low-mileage vehicles because they won't stay that way... a well-maintained first generation MDX is a great buy if you need something that size with seven seats, IMHO. The fact the cost of mine was a small fraction of the cost of a new one, and the fact that it's been almost totally reliable even at 200,000 miles is just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks for the reply. I'll make a note of first generation transmission issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks elpap117 for the reply & sharing about 1st generation MDX.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have to agree with elpap117 to a certain extent. Any new car is going to have all sorts of fancy electronics (Android Auto, Apple Carplay, SiriusXM, and a suite of driving assistants - blind spot, lane watch, collision mitigation etc etc), but my 2006 (first gen) with 350 000 Kilometres still rides, handles and performs extremely well. It was recently at the body shop for a front bumper replacement (ask my wife what happened..lol) and I had a new Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk rental and aside from the UConnect system, I didn't miss giving it back and driving the MDX again.

Having said this, I'm considering moving up to a second gen MDX. I like the SH-AWD over the VTM-4 system in the first gen, and there's a little bit more tech in the 2nd gen than in the first.
I have to "ditto" elpap117's comment above too. The last time I had my 2003 in for servicing, I got a brand new MDX loaner for a day. While the car was nice, I really didn't find the new luxury features to be a "must have" type of deal. Everything was certainly nicer but that's par for the course considering it's 14 years newer.

Also, similar to what Illustro mentioned earlier, I too prefer the boxier styling of the 1st gen MDX over both the 2nd and 3rd gens. For the same reason, I prefer the styling of the 2nd gen Ford Escapes over the new swoopy-lined 3rd generation.
A good friend of mine leased a new 2015 Honda Pilot some time ago (stretching his finances in the process). When I got my 160,000 mile MDX, he sat in it, sighed and said "when I grow up I'm going to buy a car like this one". That is to say, the novelty of a new(ish) car wears off LONG before the payments end. I do a lot of long road trips and won't buy newer, low-mileage vehicles because they won't stay that way... a well-maintained first generation MDX is a great buy if you need something that size with seven seats, IMHO. The fact the cost of mine was a small fraction of the cost of a new one, and the fact that it's been almost totally reliable even at 200,000 miles is just icing on the cake.
Thanks rcy, woof , habbyguy for the reply

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have seen my colleagues at work have purchased used MDX both First Generation 2005 & Second Generation 2009 btw prices $4k - $12k with miles around 150K have seen them using for a year by now ...

As Cars depreciate faster , Is it worth to spend more expense around ($20k - $30k) or get something for a reasonable price ?

I'm thinking to go with either First Generation or Second Generations but which one i need to go with.

(1) First Generation - Among the years (2000–2006) which year i need to choose ?
(a) Decent Features
(b) Trim or Package - Technology / Sport / Touring / Advanced / Entertainment ..etc

(2) Second Generation - Among the years (2007–2013) which year i need to choose ?
(a) Decent Features
(b) Trim or Package - Technology / Sport / Touring / Advanced / Entertainment ..etc

(3) Miles - Getting Acura used MDX Car for 150k miles , Is that a good option ?

Much Appreciate your reply.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I'm not all that familiar with the 2nd generation, but think the 1st generation is a great value in a luxury AWD 7-passenger SUV (a pretty narrow field).

I'd suggest going 2003+ as those had some fixes to the transmissions (the weakest point in the vehicles in general, and in pretty much any modern car, IMHO)

I don't get too excited about the packages. Mine's a base model, but my Droid is a MUCH better navigator than the 10+ year old navigation package, the sound system is really pretty decent, especially with the replacement of the front speakers with something a little nicer but still cheap, and the bluetooth streaming / handsfree device I just installed is better than anything you'd get in a 1st generation MDX from the factory (and it cost only $75, though that seems to have been a smokin' great buy for a Grom unit).

I wouldn't worry about 150,000 miles on an MDX as long as it's been well-maintained. As I said, I've put over 40,000 nearly trouble-free miles on the 160,000 mile 2004 MDX I bought, and it's showing no signs of impending meltdown. Do some research and I'm sure you'll find plenty of people who've got 250-300,000 miles on their MDX.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you are looking at a first generation model, I think that 2004-2006 is the range you want to focus on. The 2004+ models have the updated transmission, which was a reliability issue earlier on, and also have an updated front fascia with projector beam headlamps and an updated rear fascia with dual exhaust outlets. We have a 2005 model with about 145k miles on it and it's been a joy. My folks bought it brand new, so it's been in the family for its entire life. I proactively replaced the radiator and added a better serial flow power steering fluid cooler and a nice parallel flow transmission fluid cooler when I did the job.

I don't know how familiar you are with these vehicles in general, but they use a Honda 3.5L V-6, which has a timing belt. The timing belt has a replacement interval of 105k miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. Ideally, any first generation vehicle you see will have already had this service done, but it's worth asking about. If it hasn't had it, yet, use that as a bargaining chip if you otherwise like the car, and then go have that service done after you buy it. The engines also should have the valve adjustment inspected at the same time. The exhaust valve lash (clearance) tends to close up with many miles, so they won't get noisy prompting you to have it looked at. As the clearance closes up, the valves can run hotter than designed, and this can cause problems. Neither of these jobs is so difficult that you can't do them yourself with some moderate amount of automotive knowledge. If you're the type who prefers to not even change oil or rotate tires, these jobs are best left to a professional, but they're not cheap. Generally, the timing belt job is on the order of $1,000 and the valve adjustment and spark plug replacement can also run about $1,000. Price this in to any prospective vehicle if they have not yet been completed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Why complaint about the trans in the 1st gen then Recommend a FORD?? I mean... Ford....
They don´t have a bad transmission, All Ford transmissions are crap and die sooner than expected. Then we have the infamous TAURUS which makes the 1st Gen MDX Trans problems Blush.
I used ford as an example for a lease vehicle, almost any non-luxury branded lease car could fare better in my budget than the MDX. If it's a lease vehicle, the dealer will have it back right around the time the bumper to bumper warranty expires, and far before the powertrain warranty runs out

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ok I hope this link clears up most misconceptions about the MDX and tries to take the 'my car works, you must be mistaken about the problems of the model / year' out of opinion and leaving the facts.

Car Complaints

As you can see from the link, the best years to buy are the 2005-2013. Stay away from the 2003,2004, and 2014.

These are lists of complaints of people to the government about their cars.
Also looks like the 2016 model year is a dud as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.