Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking a 2016 Honda Pilot and then saw the new 2017MDX purchased the MDX. One thing I did noticed while looking is that theengines looked exactly the same to me the only difference I could find is the blackengine cover one shows Acura and the other shows Honda.

MDX - Pilot
Horse Power 290 @ 6200 - 280 @ 6000
Torque 267 @ 4700 - 262 @ 4700
Compression 11.5 : 1 - 11.5 : 1
fuel Premium Regular

Seems to me they both have the same engine with a slight differencein the tuning. I really don't thing Mid Grade would hurt the MDX and I don'tthink you would notice the difference in power.:laugh:

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I was looking a 2016 Honda Pilot and then saw the new 2017MDX purchased the MDX. One thing I did noticed while looking is that theengines looked exactly the same to me the only difference I could find is the blackengine cover one shows Acura and the other shows Honda.

MDX - Pilot
Horse Power 290 @ 6200 - 280 @ 6000
Torque 267 @ 4700 - 262 @ 4700
Compression 11.5 : 1 - 11.5 : 1
fuel Premium Regular

Seems to me they both have the same engine with a slight differencein the tuning. I really don't thing Mid Grade would hurt the MDX and I don'tthink you would notice the difference in power.:laugh:
The 2016 Pilot is just our 3G MDX in different clothing and different tuning. There a few new things on the Pilot though we don't have, like the pano sunroof and the new head unit. The MDX has the advantage of the torque vectoring enabled for SH-AWD models vs the iVTM-4 (which is also the same as our SH-AWD, but different programming) on the Pilot. It's been this way between the Pilot and MDX for a generations.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Seems to me they both have the same engine with a slight differencein the tuning. I really don't thing Mid Grade would hurt the MDX and I don'tthink you would notice the difference in power.
While this is true, I doubt you'll miss the price difference in gas between 87 and 89.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Seeing as I spent the proverbial $50K (not really - it was more like in the lower 40s) for a higher scale vehicle when I could have spent $30k or so and gotten a Hyundai or Toyota that would have managed to still get me around, I'm not going to sweat the difference in cost between the fuel grades and try to second guess the manufacturer's recommendations.

You're right that it's the same basic engine, and it's used in many applications, but the engines can be tuned differently for the different applications and the tuning matters - it affects the performance/efficiency of the engine in concert with the recommended fuel grade.

If I felt that the savings on fuel grade were that important to me then I would have concluded maybe I'm selecting the wrong vehicle in the first place and should choose a more affordable one that would still be in the same category (7 seat SUV). This is coming from someone who's a bit of a tightwad.

But...if you want to use mid-grade or even 87 octane in the MDX you can do it according to the manufacturer - it's just not recommended. There's a relevant section in the owner's manual on this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of the time I burn premium fuel but where I live a fewdealers up mid grade by $.30 and premium up $.60 to $.70 which is to me a rip-offfor Hi-Test. If I'm doing highway driving I'll put in Midgrade when the fuel ispriced like that. I've done this in my2007 MDX and my 2013 Infinity JX35 I never seen a difference in MPH or performance. I was just pointing out what a slight difference in the way the car is tuned.

·
Registered
869 Posts
We have both vehicles ( 2014 MDX Tech AWD and 2016 Pilot Touring AWD. Pilot usually gets 87 octane. MDX gets 91 octane, preferably sans ethanol. Biggest advantage of MDX is sportier feel ( especially handling ), so why handicap it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts