Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Yup when I went down to Florida and in St Augustine I drove my MDX onto the beach. I remember while enjoying the beach a girl in a Jeep was passing by and decided to park, then changed her mind she pulled out and then when going forward got stuck!! She had the whole beach looking at her, she was spinning her wheels. Some one came over and helped her to put it into 4 wheel and she got out. Any who yes I did it preformed nicely!!

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Warzau said:
Yup when I went down to Florida and in St Augustine I drove my MDX onto the beach. I remember while enjoying the beach a girl in a Jeep was passing by and decided to park, then changed her mind she pulled out and then when going forward got stuck!! She had the whole beach looking at her, she was spinning her wheels. Some one came over and helped her to put it into 4 wheel and she got out. Any who yes I did it preformed nicely!!
Now that is embarrasing. . . I would have just been smiling all the way.:p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MDX on beach-lock differential

I appreciate the replys so far with respect to my question concerning the MDX on the beach.

I generally get on the beach at Cape Hatteras where the sand is soft and deep. I have had a 88 Range Rover since 1989 and generally take the air in tires down to 20PSI and drop down to low range. Previously, I have had various Jeeps since 1974 for use in the same area.

Apparently the MDX has the ability to lock the differential (same as Range Rover).
For those of you who have taken your MDX in soft deep sand, has the ability to lock the differential kept you from getting stuck?

I can not tell if the XC90 has the ability to lock the differential or if it has a low range gear.

Apparently the XC90 has an 18" wheel but I am not sure that wheel will do as much good to keep one moving on the beach even with 20PSI compared to being able to lock the differential.

I appreciate your comments.
Meade

·
Registered
446 Posts
Soft sand

I didn't have the best of times last year when I went on the beach in the Salvo area of the OBX. That first 200 feet of deep soft sand was tough on the MDX. Once down by the water it was fine but anything would be. I aired down the tires and used (had too) vtm lock. I got stuck twice, each time we were trying to turn around and momentum was lost. With a little hand digging we got out. One of the problems, IMHO, is that the vtm kicks out at 18 mph and with no low range the rpm's at that speed isn't much and your not really into the power band. But, the MDX wasn't really made for these kind of conditions.

Good Luck
Niles

·
Registered
38 Posts
Last July I was down in the Outer banks of NC where the sand is very deep and soft. I didn't even lower the pressure in my tires and never got stuck. The trick is to keep the car in first gear with the VTM locked. I guess it also depends on how skilled you are driving on beaches. No matter what kind of truck it is, I have seen them stuck on the beach because they didn't know how to drive on the beach. I had a 99 grand cherokee that I use to take out all the time. I will have to say it was a little better on the beach but mainly because the tires were a lot bigger. And the talk about the MDX not having 4 low, the only time I can recall using 4 low in my cherokee on the beach was when I was pulling someone out who was stuck! Oh, one other thing, be carefull with logs and rocks on the beach since the MDX doesn't have any skid plates! Have fun!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
We've vacationed the last 4 years in OBX and I'm looking forward to some surf fishing with the MDX next year!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Lowering Tire Pressure -- Problem?

Sorry I don't have a link, but I could swear I saw some warnings about reducing pressure in the MDX's tires. Ring a bell with anyone?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Well,

.......maybe the 2003 model will be better in the sand with this supposedly "recalibrated" VTM-4 unit which sends more torque to the rear wheels for better traction.

However, I remember reading in some off-road literature somewhere (don't exactly recall where) that 2WD is better in deep, soft sand than 4WD, because it makes the vehicle dig deeper down "hunting" for traction getting it further stuck (sorta like a quagmire) .........Is this really true??

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sand anecdote

My MDX does quite well in the deep, soft sand on our barrier beaches. The primary thing to remember is to get the tire pressure down below 15 psi before hitting the sand. Do that and you'll be alright. Put it in 1-2 and lock the VTM. Our Coastal Management agency makes you take a jack, a sturdy platform for it, a shovel, flashlight, first aid kit, tow rope, and even flares! But it all makes good sense, especially if you're out there alone or at night. I keep it altogether in a pack so all I have to do is throw it in back before I go.

I was out on a blistering 95+ degree day this past summer. Who knows how hot the sand was? The transmission overheated but I was on a one-way, rutted path with no place to pull over so I had to continue a ways to a wide spot with the A/T Overheat light on. That hurt, mentally. But the X cooled itself off after a few minutes of idling. Just do as the manual states: stop someplace safe, put it in Park, and wait until the light goes out. It is then safe to continue. The tranny smelled a bit, but I've been watching and sniffing the tranny fluid and it's been fine since that episode, with the fluid being as pink as new.

I use an air pump with a car adapter to refill the tires before getting back on the road. It takes about five minutes a tire, but there might be better pumps available.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Lugnut, Do you have the towing package on your X? Just wondering because I haven't had a problem with my transmission overheating from towing my 4500lb boat or from driving on the beach. I would be good to know that the extra transmission cooler actually works!

·
Registered
108 Posts
No towing package, unfortunately.

Interesting sideline to my story. After the overheating incident, I pulled into a gas station and two young mechanics came flying out to look at my X. One was exclaiming, "I've GOT to get me one of these!" It turned out the other was a former mechanic at my Acura dealer. He told me how easy it was to add the towing package. Being a former wrenchbender myself, I am considering it for next summer.

Also, I restarted a towing thread over in the General Discussions area. Care to share your towing experiences?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts