Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2016 AWD MDX. Has anyone taken the third gen MDX on the Beach - I used to take my 2004 MDX and my 2013 AWD Pilot and never had any issues. Just concerned that there's no VTM lock on this car - (or is there?). I'm Not looking to do any real off reading - just soft sand beaches out here on Long Island.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I think the sand warning for sh-awd comes from there isn't an oil cooler for the rear diff sh-awd clutch packs. When we normally need sh-awd to engage, it is in short spurts and the weather is usually cold, wet, rainy, icy, or snowy for instant cooling. Other times we need sh-awd is when our mph are high enough to provide sufficient cooling (short "sh" spurt again). Driving in sand is most likely going to be hot, slow, loose traction, minimal cooling off time between "sh" usage, and just as much "sh" as "awd" depending on conditions.

Any off road conditions where you don't need to deflate the tires for traction, or there might be ground clearance issues, or extended periods of time of "sh" engagement should be A-OK for the MDX.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I dunno if the 3G changed anything but my 2G was very comfortable doing dunes with no SH-AWD warning.. I went like this for around 1-2hours? looking somewhere to get stuck.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Nope, everything is sealed.. Not to stop sand from getting in but stop fluids from going out (Trans, Diff, Transfer).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Looking at a 2016 AWD MDX. Has anyone taken the third gen MDX on the Beach - I used to take my 2004 MDX and my 2013 AWD Pilot and never had any issues. Just concerned that there's no VTM lock on this car - (or is there?). I'm Not looking to do any real off reading - just soft sand beaches out here on Long Island.
Yes.

Locate the VSC/Trac fuse (driver's kick panel) if you air down - you can't disable traction control, which is pretty necessary for having proper control in sand. drive in sport mode w/sport manual shifting and it's all good!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The southwest corner of Galveston Island has a large, popular 4x4 play area I've nicknamed The Empty Quarter. Many tourists have been seduced by its flat appearance.

My son brought his AWD 2017 MDX this year. Drove on the beach without problems but we were careful to maintain momentum through the really soft stuff and did have a little ground clearance issue in some whoops near the San Luis bridge. My son-in-law had a rental Wrangler JKU and I brought my VooDoo rope, just in case.

This couple stuck their Mercedes. She was charming. Him, not so much.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Just as an FYI to anyone wanting to keep their MDX for more than a short lease. Driving around the beach usually puts salt all over things and we all know what salt does to steel of which there is a lot on the MDX. Additionally - I used to take long bicycle rides at the beach and the sand gets into everything. It cannot be kept out. It grinds into a finer and finer powder until it destroys seals. In addition more than one person has gotten stuck at low tide. Don't have to explain what happens when the tide comes in. I'd use a 4 WD beater to play at a Salt Water beach. I grew up near the ocean my whole life and have friends who loved to play at the beach.Their cars looked like winter cars in salt states after a few years. .

·
Registered
500 Posts
Seals do a good job but there is plenty of wear and tear to go around elsewhere if you visit the sand (dunes, not necessarily the beach) with any regularity. Like he ^^^ said, I'd find something else to play in the sand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Took my AWD on the beach in Washington state (you could drive right up to the ocean there). No issues, great experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts