Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

MDX Oil Consumption Bulletin

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  yshalizi 
#1 ·
Hello ... I just joined while searching for guidance on identifying and replacing the o2 sensor(s) on our 2011 MDX and came across a listing on the Oil Consumption issue with MDXs ... this is informational, ACURA sent a letter ~6-8 months back voluntarily acknowledging a concern with excessive oil consumption and offering to test and repair at no cost or reimbursement for cost related to oil consumption ... I'll have to dig up the letter to provide the specifics but for folks experiencing this issue and believe the years ranged close to our 2011 and could followup with the dealership since it is set to expire this month September 2019 ... best of luck!

#2 ·
I found the letter but the offer expired on Sept 1, 2019 but here is what the letter states:

On certain 2009-14 Acura vehicles equipped with teh 3.7L V6 engine, the oil control rings may become clogged with carbon deposits durning normal engine operations. These deposits restrict the control ring's ability to return oil from the cylinders walls to the crankcase, resulting in excessive engine oil consumption.

Acura is extending the power-train warranty coverage to cover engine issues related to the excessive oil consumption from the original coverage of 6 years/70000 miles to 8 years/125000 miles, whichever comes first. To further ensure client satisfaction and confidence, any affected vehicles from now until September 1, 2019 will be covered regardless of the time in service or mileage.

And then the rest of the letter is guidance on
What should you do?
Check Your Vehicle for Open Recalls
Lessor Information
What to do if you feel this notice is in error
If you have any questions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.