Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I listened to all of your feedback regarding the towing and brought my 2WD ‘15 back (carmax was so nice to let me return it) and picked up an sh-awd ‘15 from the Acura dealer. I love it! And I don’t feel hindered anymore

I’ve purchased and installed the rear bumper protector, the running boards, and the roof rails all with zero difficulty. Roof rails were obviously the hardest because it involved sawing parts down and reattaching, plus the reattaching was kind of tricky at some points, but it was still fairly easy and I got it done in an hour.

Here’s my situation: I’m contemplating whether or not to get the tow hitch done at the dealer or do it myself. I have no experience installing a tow hitch but I can follow directions well. The thing is the dealer wants 800 for the hitch and installation labor (I’m not doing the cooler right now because I have nothing heavy to tow. I’ll add it later. Im aware my limit is 3500 lbs). But dealer wants 800 for the hitch, and another dealer 2 hours away has the factory hitch and harness on sale for $421 (roughly 480 after tax). It seems REALLY tempting to try and save 320 bucks.

My question to you is: have you installed both the oem hitch and the roof rails? How does the oem hitch install compare? Easier? Harder? About the same?

I’ve read through the instructions on the hitch as well as watched installation videos, I just want some comparative feedback from someone who’s done both.

Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The hitch is really simple to do. If you did the roof rails you should have no problems doing the hitch!

Reactions: Joel_RRT

·
Registered
869 Posts
The most difficult thing about the OEM hitch installation is removing the bumper panel and installing the replacement with the opening for the hitch receiver. Other than that, you just need a big honkin socket wrench, preferably a torque wrench. And an extra set of hands to support the hitch is helpful.

On a used vehicle, you may have to clean up the threads of the weld-nuts in the vehicle undercarriage, especially if the vehicle has seen road salt. Be careful not to cross-thread those bolts or you will hate yourself. Test fit all the bolts first before you raise the hitch. If the bolts don't thread in easily by hand, clean up the weld-nut threads some more ( WD-40 and a wire brush ) and consider "chasing" the threads with a tap.

The trailer wiring harness installation is more time and trouble than the hitch, in my experience. I have installed OEM hitch and wiring on both our 2014 MDX and 2016 Pilot. Same basic design. I haven't done roof rails, but from the instructions it looks about as "fiddly" as the bumper panel, maybe worse.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The hitch is really simple to do. If you did the roof rails you should have no problems doing the hitch!
Agree on this, looks simple...and they are very useful....

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Lifting the hitch into place was probably the most difficult part. Use either the spare donut pulley system to help lift and stay in place or a floor jack.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
it's an easy job, and there are lots of instruction videos on youtube.
I can't imagine anyone not being able to do this.

An extra pair of hands would definitely help.
Also, you need a big-ass wrench. Nothing crazy, but something some apartment people might not have.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Use a torque wrench on the bolts for your safety and that of others!
If you don't have one you can get loaner tools at many major auto parts stores.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts